38 Degree Ale House & Grill

Morison Woo
    5 Jun 12, 2014

If you want a huge selection of beer, then this is definitely the place. I have never seen so many different beers/ales in a menu. To really know what is good though, I recommend asking the waiters/bartenders because they're the ones who knows their stuff. They also have mixed drinks and cocktails too but not that many to choose from.

They also serve food too, but again not many to choose from since their specialty is beer. The only thing I've ever had there were their regular and sweet potato fries, which I do recommend snacking on when you get a drink from them.

The environment is dark, and it can get pretty loud when it fills up. But that goes for most places anyway. I gave it 5 stars because the beer was good, and they have a good selection. Service came pretty quick each time I went, and parking is convenient. You can just park on the street or in the parking structure close by.

Beware of cops though. Lots in this area since the police station is down the street!

Recommended for:FoodiesNightlife Lovers
    Danny Nguyễn
    3 Jun 05, 2014

The place is pretty good if you want to try their beer. As far as food is concerned, its pretty average to me. The burgers are just like any normal burger I've had, nothing special about it. There is plenty of parking in the parking structure or on the streets. If you want to try some beers, then I would suggest 38 degrees ale, but for food probably not.

Natalie K
    4 May 16, 2014

38 Degrees is a nice non-Asian addition to Alhambra. It's nice to be able to find a decent beer selection in the area without having to drive over to Pasadena. They also have a nice happy hour deal with several food options.

Their food is alright. My friend and I tried several items from the happy hour menu. I really enjoyed the banh mi tacos. It's full of flavor and the meat is well marinated. I didn't really care for their fish tacos. It was a little too oily.

The beer menu is huge. They have a large selection of both draft and bottled. Their draft beer changes often so you can always try different beers.

If you're a trivia fan, it looks like they do it every Wednesdays. Although, we went on a Wednesday and didn't see it happening.

There is free parking on the street and also a free parking structure nearby in the same block right behind the Korean BBQ restaurant.

• 38 Degree Ale House & GrillAmbassadorPro 2014
    Yvonne Peyroux Liu
    5 Mar 27, 2014

The beer selection here is amazing! And the food is unique to Alhambra. Service is impressive and they are patient with you if you want to taste test beers. ;)

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal CultureNightlife Lovers
    Hilla Hon
    4 Mar 25, 2014

Food was great there, and it has many choices. So as their drinks, but I haven't tried yet. Service is awesome since I got free dessert for my birthday! It's located at the center of Main Street, and the parking lot is very close.

Jennifer H
    3 Jan 29, 2014

If you are a beer drinker, this place has good selection of beers. You cannot drink without having some bar food as well. 38 degrees provides happy hour and a really chilled place to hang out with friends or to catch up with a group of people. They have big tables, tall tables and bar seats. As for parking, you can most likely find street parking or the parking structure.

Recommended for:FoodiesNightlife Lovers
    Trinity
    4 Jan 10, 2014

A local favorite of Alhambra and San Gabriel residents. Catch a sports game on TV, lounge at the bar, or dine with family. It's a great place to go with large groups and is also family friendly. Check out the extensive beer list. I've found new beers to try every visit. Beer not your thing? They have a full bar. For food, I've liked their burgers (beef and veggie-friendly portobello were both good choices.)

Parking is free in the nearby parking garage off Main Street, behind restaurant.

Recommended for:FoodiesNightlife LoversTrendstersVegetarian
  • 38 Degree Ale House & GrillAmbassadorPro 2014
    Kat Sun
    4 Nov 17, 2013

A friend and I came here randomly to check out this bar. It's a nice bar; great place to hang out with some friends. They have beer flights and a nice food menu.

Recommended for:Nightlife Lovers
  • 38 Degree Ale House & GrillPro 2014
    Kat Von B (Travelinggreek)
    4 Oct 23, 2013

Great atmosphere, really interesting crowd. I love the vibe and the snacks keep me coming back for more!

Recommended for:FoodiesNightlife LoversTrendsters
    Aren
    3 Jun 28, 2013

My friend finally brought me here for happy hour. We were famished so we ordered a few different things to appease our appetites. Our first order of business was beer so we ordered up some Craftsmen hef.

For a place named 38 degrees, you'd expect the beer to be near freezing temperatures, but it was just slightly chilled. I love really cold beer, like to the point where there is some slush going on. Perfect for a summer day. Oh well.

The food was pretty decent, but I've definitely had better morsels at a few other g'pubs. Here's a quick break-down:

**Sticky Fries: Shoestring fries covered in a bacon-alfredo sauce/gravy and cheese. Almost carbonara-esque. Pretty tasty, but thin fries get wrecked by the sauce leaving them limp and lethargic.

**Pulled Pork Sliders: My biggest fear when eating pulled pork is when it comes out way too sweet. I like sweet things, but some savory would be a nice balance here.

**Chorizo Flat Bread: Pretty boring to be honest. The bread was cracker thin and not very filling even in slightest sense. Some pieces were bear resulting in saltine crackers. Other pieces were good, just not great.

I definitely do plan to come here again in the future. I feel that there is a lot of potential to be discovered. Would be nice to put 38 degrees on my list.

Jessica Y.
    5 Feb 02, 2013

The only day worthing coming are Wednesdays.

Only on Wednesdays = Beer & Slider pairing/sampler:
    4 different types of beer to masterfully complement the 4 mini sliders. The beer and slider combinations change every week, per chef's pick. I had an eggplant parm slider that I absolutely fell in love with, considering it had zero meat; impressive!

JR Cajigas
    4 Dec 24, 2012

Happy Hour goes M-F, 3-7p. Well drinks are $3 and beers are mostly $2 off, but be forewarned that there are beers on the menu that go for big money, so you may still pay $8 for a happy hour beer. Trivia Tuesdays also and prizes are usually GC's for 38 Degrees.

38 Degrees is like 70% bar and 30% restaurant. I've dined here in the restaurant before but it j use didn't feel right. I wanted to be in the thick of the TV's showing *Insert Favorite Team Here*. So between my restaurant and bar experiences here....I prefer happy hour.

-=-Papas and Chorizo Tacos-=- When ordering anything with chorizo, you expect the dominant taste to be the chorizo. In the case of these tacos, it's actually that humongous gob of potato. It wasn't a good potato either, and by "good" I mean seasoned in any way. Only get these if you are a big fan of potatoes.

-=-Chorizo Flat Bread-=- Anything flat bread is going to be a light plate. In the case of the Chorizo Flat Bread, it was actually a perfect blend. There wasn't exorbitant amounts of chorizo on it, which was halfway a disappointment and halfway "maybe it's a good thing", but the taste of chorizo in every other bite was fulfilling to say the least. This was the best plate for this trip here.

-=-Tempura Battered Tots-=- These were a huge surprise, and probably should not even be called tots. I would relate these to Cuban Potato Balls without the meat. The gobs of potato are back, but this time in a different form. The fried tempura batter that covered these gobs of potato put in a bit more flavor than the tacos. It was served with a light aioli that didn't do it much justice. I'd prefer ketchup or something else much harder hitting. Don't get these and expect tater tots. Far from it.

Most of my food critiques here were mediocre at best, but keep in mind that I picked all the unique stuff. The better foods that I've had here were the burgers and the fish tacos. Get those first to experience the best that 38 Degrees has to offer. I also enjoy the ambiance here. It's a nice crowd and everyone was approachable and friendly.

Jackson Yang

Felt thirsty, hit up a few buddies for a drink.

They have so many choices when it comes to beer, sometimes you just gotta ask the bartender and be adventurous! Or check yelp ;-)

Interesting beers that I've tried.
    WEIHENSTEPHANER KORBINIAN DOPPLEBOCK: cold, dark, and delicious. Very smooth beer, very drinkable. You really cant taste the alcohol. But still has a 7% ABV!

PAULANER HEFEWEIZEN: Golden, citrusy, and crisp!

Craftsman Triple White Sage: Real complicated beer. Strong alcohol taste. Very "earthy" haha

Boddingtons pub ale: very malty tasting, I remember this one being very bitter. But drinkable.

Flying dog double dog on nitro: This one is definitely for the adventurous ones! Drinkability was very low due to the very high alcohol content. Beautiful lookin brew though!

There you have it....I hope I've inspired other yelpers to post their experiences with their favorite brew.

Maybe next time I'll try the food heh.

Pegine G