Trip Plan Details
recommended Swakopmundtouristc place, good bars, good campgroundsRecommended for:
- Waterberg National ParkNamibiarecommended Waterberg National Parknice to walk around, if you have historical intrests you can leanr about the herero-german warRecommended for:
recommended Etosha National Parka lot of animales because of the artificial waterholes good to see, but also veryx restricted + fullRecommended for:
recommended SesriemThe home of Sossusvlei and Dune 45 is unlike anyplace else I have ever been. The most stunning, surreal scenery can be found here, along with some rather exciting and different experiences. Hike to ... read morethe top of Dune 45 or, for a bigger challenge, the sandy mountain known as "Big Daddy". Walk along the vleis, or clay pans, and snap some shots of the bizarre-looking dead camel-thorn trees. You may even see the odd oryx or ostrich wandering amongst the dunes. It's a pretty spectacular place and even though I'd been there maybe 20 times, its beauty never ceased to inspire and amaze me.
- Lodge at Otjitotongwe Cheetah ParkKamanjab, Namibiarecommended Lodge at Otjitotongwe Cheetah ParkThe Cheetah Park is pretty fantastic. The family that runs the ranch has a few cheetahs that they have hand raised. If they're feeling up to it (and they usually are) you can spend some time hanging ... read moreout with them in the yard. In the afternoon, head out to the area where the "wild" cheetahs live and watch them get fed. It makes for a pretty spectacular photo opportunity. The best thing about this place is that these cheetahs would probably be dead if it wasn't for this facility and the family who run it. Cheetahs pose a threat to local livestock and are often trapped and killed as a result. Problem animals and injured or orphaned cheetahs find a safe and spacious home on the ranch. The little money you spend to see them helps to support this cause.Recommended for:Backpackers
- Napolitana33 Nathaniel Maxuilili St, Swakopmund, Namibiarecommended NapolitanaUnquestionably my favorite restaurant in the world. I love this place so much that whenever I am in Swakopmund this is the only place my boyfriend and I go to dinner - even if that means four nights ... read morein a row. Fortunately, he feels the same. The oysters are awesome and the beef and game meats are always cooked to perfection. There is a huge menu with lots of pizza, salads, pasta, fish, and meats. I recommend this place to all my clients and I have never once heard anything but a stellar report. The staff is friendly and the atmosphere is unpredictable: one night it's a lively place with a party atmosphere, quiet and romantic the next, or full of happy families on another.
- Etosha National ParkOmbika, Namibiarecommended Etosha National ParkEtosha is a fantastic park located in the northern part of Namibia. It's probably one of the best places outside South Africa to do self drives ( safaris in your car & you drive). The roads are well ... read moremaintained, easy access to the best spots are marked. Even most of the roads getting to the park itself are great. May through September are the drier months and that is when incredible numbers of animals congregate at the natural and man made waterholes making them very easy to find. Within the resort/ campgrounds are waterholes that get lit up with floodlights every night. Take advantage of the seating in the viewing area and you can enjoy the nocturnal iner-species dramas for hours. On good nights I have seen rhinos fighting rhinos, huge herds of elephants, elephants chasing off lions, and dozens of animals just trying to make their way past the dangerous creatures for a drink. You could easily spend all night there. Etosha's down side is that lodging can be expensive. Even the prices for camping are a bit outrageous. However, provided you're there at the right time of year the splurge is usually worth it. Be sure to book in advance.
- Rivendell Guest House40 Beethoven Street, Windhoek 9000, Namibiarecommended Rivendell Guest HouseNice enough. There is a small swimming pool, and the rooms are small but clean. Breakfast is very tasty, and the staff is nice and helpful.Recommended for:
- Ai-Ais Hot Springs ResortC10 Road, near Aussenkehr
- Okaukuejo ResortWestern Park Entrance, Etosha National Park, Namibia
- Cape Cross LodgeSkeleton Coast Park, Namibia
- Fish River Canyon C37/(D324) Road, Hobas, Ai-Ais/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park, Namibia