African Trails Overland Safaris

28 Grange St., Bare, Morecambe, Lancs LA4 6BW United Kingdom

Summer Wilms
    5 Jan 27, 2014

It is hard for the average person to experience anything quite so diverse and unique as a big African overland trip. I chose African Trails because I loved the fact that you didn't get taken on a tour, you were part of it. You cook and go into the local markets to shop. You don't fly from game park to game park and get the "censored version" of Africa. You get a range of angles. You don't have someone dictating your every last move for you. Lunches are up to you as are most of the activities. Africa is not an easy place to travel but having the camaraderie of a group but the freedom to stray a bit makes it a great option for those who are used to traveling independently as well as for inexperienced travelers who have no desire to be babysat but want to learn the ropes of world travel. There are a ton of different trip options. I should know as I did just about all of them. I began my experience with African Trails as an enthusiastic passenger but ended up becoming a crew member for nearly five years. So yes, I am biased, but I still look back on that first four week trip I did and recall it as one of the best things I have ever done.

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersBudget TravelersOutdoor Enthusiasts
    Ben Metson
    5 Jan 27, 2014

I completed the March 2011 Trans Africa Trip (From London to Amman - not quite making Turkey due to the on-going crisis in Syria!)
    I can say without doubt the trip was the best 10 months of my life! We saw places many will never see, bushcamped under amazing, star-filled skies and cooked 3 course dinners over open fires.
    You get out of the trip as much as you put in, it's a hands-on experience with us as passengers organising meals, obtaining visas and pitching our own tents - the perfect formula for a perfect trip!
    The African Trails truck was ideal for the trip, fully stocked with everything you would need to complete such a challenging journey. Our driver, Mark was equally well-equipped to deal with every situation the 'Dark Continent' threw at us! We encountered road blocks, corrupt officials, ‘impassable’ roads, mud, sand, traffic jams and everything in-between but managed on our way with no major issues.
    People talk about safety as soon as you mention Africa to them, I never once felt unsafe on the trip. Yes, we visit places where you may expect ‘danger’, we bush-camped in the middle of the Sahara Dessert after visiting the same café in Marrakesh that was destroyed by a suicide bomber later that month. We visited Mali and Burkina Faso – two countries defined, now by war and insurgency, but we trekked the Dogons, slept under the stars and visited night clubs. We went to the cinema in Abuja, Nigeria after changing vast amounts of money at the side of the road in order to obtain visas for the DRC, the only stories you hear about Nigeria in the UK are of the Muslim extremists. We visited both of the Congo’s and met some fantastic people, saw amazing scenery and drunk whiskey on the banks of the Congo River! I could go on the described more of the places where I didn’t feel in danger; South Africa, Rwanda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Ethiopia, Egypt but hopefully you get the picture!
    As well as simply being in these spectacular countries we were also lucky enough to undertake side-trips, recommended, tried and tested by African Trails. We camel trekked in Morocco, canopy walked in Ghana, trekked the famous Dogon Mountains in Mali, visited the start of Stanley’s expedition in the Congo, walked with wild Rhinos in Zambia, gorillas in Uganda and chimpanzees in Rwanda as well as wine tasting in South Africa, eating zebra steaks in Namibia, we quad biked, white water rafted, hot air ballooned, we ate street food, cooked a roast dinner in the desert, we took motorbike taxis, we surfed and sometimes we relaxed, wrote out diaries, read our books and chatted the night away under the stars round the camp fire.
    A lot of the great experiences we had were down to African Trails and their extensive experience with these trips. Mark knew the best places to bush camp, the best places to get food and the best places to stay when we ‘upgraded’ to a real bed for a night or two! With this experience comes a great, eclectic mix of people around the continent who welcomed the African Trails truck and us with open arms (and often an ice cold beer or two!).
    It is impossible to list here every highlight of the trip but I would recommend it, or any smaller trip, to everybody. It is not luxury travel, nor is it a transit through a long list of countries. You will, at times, be dirty, be too hot, be too cold, be pestered by mosquitos, be hassled by locals, be tired, and be without Facebook or Twitter but you will love it!

Jason Yorke
    5 Mar 26, 2013

My wife and I went on the Nairobi to Zanzibar 28 day Safari. It was all exciting as we always dreamt of touring Africa, seeing the big 5 and the Gorillas. Little did we know that in the following weeks we would be only metres away from a massive silverback and a one month old baby, then getting to see not only the big 5 but way moreeeee.
    Mark and Tash were our leaders and the tour we chose was so well organized. After the first day you figured out fast what was going on and you became part of a small family. It wasn't a tour as such in the way everything was done for you like other companies, it was better as you get divided into cook teams, go to the local markets, barter for your fresh fruit and veges then go back to the truck and prepare, cook and eat amazing food. With African Trails you become apart of the experience along with experiencing the experience!!!!!!!
    The extra activities are awesome and we highly recommend the white water rafting, also being a fishing junky, thanks to Gav at "Jinga backpackers" we got to fish in the famous Nile for giant purch!!!!! Also played a game of golf.
    We had the best adventure and holiday, seeing and experiencing way more than we could have imagined and traveling with such amazing people.
    We will be back to do another safari with you that's for sure.
    We just need to buy more memory cards for our camera as Stace my wife took over 9000 photos lol

Thanks Guys absolutely amazing

Recommended for:Backpackers

6 people visited African Trails Overland Safaris

Whether you opt for a five day trip that takes you to East African game parks and tropical islands or a 43 week trip that allows you to cover nearly the entire dark continent and then some, African Trails takes you on the journey of a lifetime. Specially designed trucks, equipped with camping gear and an experienced crew member are there to help you make the most out of your adventure but you get ... read more
to choose your optional activities along the way and hone your outdoor skills, like cooking over a campfire. The camping trips are tailored for those on a budget and do not adhere to the age 18 to 35 restrictions some companies do. There are multiple departures every month for trips of various durations.

St Martins Lane Hotel