AGORA

1527 17th St Nw, Washington, DC 20036

536 people visited AGORA

Lunch Wed.-Fri., Dinner nightly, Brunch Sat.-Sun.

• AGORAPro 2014
    Jelena Budjevac
    1 Dec 16, 2013

Turkish cuisine of small plates with consistently apathetic service that occasionally flares up to rudeness. Plates are small, tasty, but overpriced. I've been on three separate occasions as I really wanted to give this restaurant a chance. Written up as a great brunch, the last (and I do mean last) attempt was brunch. With the menu comes an extensive list of rules and regulations of what you cannot do: exceed more than two hours, entire table orders a la carte or bottomless brunch, etc. our poor surly server seemed to be suffering from our presence only to be relieved with our Turkish friend's requests in Turkish. Two plates never arrived but they got most of the order correct. We asked them to leave the pitcher of mimosas at the table as we were a party of six. That's prohibited. We wanted to order before our last friend arrived as she was running late. That's not allowed. My one friend wanted coffee instead of alcohol--that's extra. My other friend wanted her last mimosa--it was five minutes after brunch--that's extra. We finished and were ready to pay I asked them what they were going to do with the one small plate remaining. Our server told us throw it away. "You shouldn't have ordered it if you weren't going to eat it." I asked him to please box it and I would be happy to ask any of the people sleeping on the street if they wanted it. He told me that was not their policy. I asked if I could speak with the manager to make the request. The manager showed up displeased and quite aggressively told me that their policy was not to waste food so they so not wrap food and that all the restaurants do this. (Not so-check Georgia Brown's.) I honestly do not quibble over policy in a town as litigious as DC but there really is no excuse to be rude or raise your voice when someone is trying to understand your voluminous rules... for brunch. That's what the tax code is for... There are enough places in DC to go without the headache and hassle. Bouquet is is down the street, has better atmosphere and service, not to mention tasty tapas! No reason to return to Agora.

• AGORA
    Yaniv Stern
    • Outdoor Enthusiasts
    4 Nov 07, 2013

A great Turkish restaurant. A very nice selection of beers on tap, and small tapas style dishes. A wonderful place for weekend brunch.

• AGORAPro 2014
    Caroline Carlos
    • Local Culture
    3 Jul 05, 2012

Mediterranean tapas! If you like Greek and Turkish food, they have some tasty morsels. The food is a little slow to come, and your dishes are interspersed rather than arriving all at once...but you're hopefully not in a rush to go anywhere. There's even Greek wine, which one might not typically see on a wine list. They now do a Sunday Supper special; if you're an early bird, the Sunday brunch has bottomless mimosas. :)

• AGORA