Ahmanson Theatre

135 North Grand Avenue, Los Angeles, CA

Erika W.
    5 Aug 20, 2014

If you're willing to walk you can book a parking spot in advance here for 6 bux: http://www.parkme.com/los-angeles-parking/ahmanson-theatre

Recommended for:Local Culture
    Eleanor E
    5 Aug 10, 2013

Spectacular live entertainment less than an hour's drive from house. Check centertheatregroup.org for more information, including performances at Mark Taper Forum and Kirk Douglas Theater.

Denise B
    5 May 17, 2013

Take the metro and avoid the traffic...walk to Hollywood HIghland for the metro stop...musicals and plays are here, which is part of the Music Center downtown.

Mmarthie
    5 Dec 19, 2012

Came here to watch the War Horse premiere!

I simply loved this venue. First of all, Ahmanson is located in downtown LA in the music center. When I looked at the pictures of the music center online, I expected a pretty water fountain around the Peace on Earth statue. Unfortunately I didn't get to see the spectacle of it, BUT I was able to join their dance party which was right next to it. I learned that every Friday during the summer the music center has a little dance party. A dance floor and music are set up and anyone can come and join the party. Pretty fun and pretty spontaneous! Not sure if there is a theme each week or what not, but it seemed that India or Bali was the theme that night. It was so fun watching everyone and dancing a bit. I should have just taken my heels off to shake my booty some more. But I guess that will be a different day. These summer nights are perfect for this kind of outdoor event.

Earlier I mentioned the Peace on Earth statue. I'm kinda obsessed with it. I love bringing joy and happiness to others and this statue is the epitome of just that. I was able to get a few shots with it, but during one of the shots some children were around. I didn't want to shoo them away, so I just asked them to take a picture with my friend and I. It's peace on earth, so why not hold hands (my friend's idea!)? It was quite fun and these shots were actually my favorite from that night. So fun and so spontaneous!

As for the theatre itself, it is rather big. My friend and I had orchestra seats in the way back. But as others have said, there really isn't a bad seat. Our view was still good and you can hear everything. The place was very clean (as were the restrooms) and I loved that during intermission, you can go to the outdoor patio. My friend and I were lucky enough to see some fireworks with the gorgeous fountains across the street during intermission.

I know this review is for the Ahmanson Theatre, but I LOVED War Horse. The lighting, acting, scenes, special effects (like the super slow motion).. ahhh everything was fantastic. You can really tell there was much effort and thought put into the show. If I could, I would go watch it again!

I hope to come back again and take some fancy shots with the Peace On Earth fountain actually up and running.

Laura S
    5 Oct 13, 2012

PARKING:
    Easiest is underground and it can range from $9-15. So far, I always have gotten $9 - I come on weekdays.
    But when you're underground - OMG it's like a maze in there. They skip floors in each section, SO PLEASE REMEMBER WHERE YOU CAME FROM.

THEATER:
    Honestly... this theater is smaller than the Pantages but still large. I sat in the back before and still was able to see it all. At the Pantages, if you're on the FAR RIGHT, good luck seeing one side of the stage :P Here... you can still see everything! :D

I do prefer the front orchestra... but honestly, all of them are pretty good.

FOOD/DRINKS:
    Of course, overpriced and cash only. They serve wine and such.

BATHROOMS:
    If you're on the upperfloor, you have a bathroom on the top that is rarely used. WIN.
    The bottom floor people are screwed during intermission.
    ***Secrets out***

AREA:
    The area around this theater is GORGEOUS. Photo ops!

OVERALL:
    Good stuff :D
    Come see a show!

John H.
    5 Oct 13, 2012

The new theater in the Music Center complex in downtown LA. It is right next to the Walt Disney Concert Hall. They usually have a great season with fantastic productions either straight from Broadway or Broadway previews. And in the rare but not too rare cases, you'll shows doing test runs in LA before they get to Broadway.

Candace L
    5 Oct 04, 2012

We've seen so many shows at the Ahmanson I'm not sure I can recall all of them... The Color Purple, Spring Awakening, Mary Poppins, A Chorus Line, Fela, 12 Angry Men, Curtains, Dreamgirls, My Fair Lady, 9 to 5 and soooo many more. There isn't a bad seat in the Orchestra section. I've never sat upstairs. We really love this theatre! Valet is wonderful but their underground parking garage is fine too, unless on some rare occasion - they have something going at all 3 (Ahmanson, Mark Taper and the Dorothy Chandler - then you better be prepared for a LONG walk my friend). I'd highly recommend you check their season line up out and head down for a wonderful afternoon or evening. This is a great experience for all who love musical theatre. Check out the Dorothy Chandler as well, we've seen some exquisite operas and ballets there! I'll need to check out the Mark Taper sometime soon.

Catherine
    5 Jan 29, 2014

Great theater with great shows! It's a little smaller compared to some other LA venues, but it's well-kept and still an awesome place to watch a show.

Because it's not as big, most seats in the house will offer a great view of the stage!

Parking is either underground or street.

Trina D.
    5 Aug 16, 2012

I went here for the 25th anniversary production of Les Miserables and it was a breeze getting into and out of the parking lot. We went into the lot off of Hope and parked for $9. Luckily we just needed to go up the escalator one floor to the Ahmanson. It's a great theater with comfortable seats. If you get a chance to see a show here, I definitely recommend it. Coming from Orange County, traffic can be a nightmare approaching downtown, so plan accordingly. We went on a Sunday for a matinee show, so it wasn't too bad. Traffic around downtown was still a pain because of all the merging freeways, but it's manageable. Give yourself 15-20 minutes leeway. I had the tickets in hand so I didn't need to use Will Call, but I imagine that it's a breeze either way. The staff is super friendly and informative. No photos or filming inside the theater.

FYI: Les Miserables is amazing if you haven't seen it yet. GO SEE IT.

Rodrigo Soares
    4 Jul 18, 2012

This theatre is beautiful not only inside and outside too. It's a great place to take a break from the City of Angels.
    Some of the great broadway musicals perform here- Monty Python's Spamalot, Mary Poppins, Leap of Faith to name a few.

Erin V
    4 Jul 06, 2012

I love the theatre!

I recently saw War Horse here and it was fabulous. I sat in the orchestra seating row Z and the view was great.

The seats themselves can a bit uncomfortable. But then again, that's because if you sit on your bum all day, it doesn't help to sit through a long production. It's worth it! No complaints here.

Bring extra money if you're looking to buy a snack or drinks. $8 for a beer is a bit much, but it is LA.

There's street parking or you can pay to park closer.

I can't wait for the next production.

GotchaJimmy
    4 Aug 20, 2014

haven't gone to a musical outside of a campus EVER before till this year. Where I have gone twice!

My first theatre experience was at the historic Pantages Theatre where I saw Billy Elliot and second was tonight at The Ahmanson for the revival performance of The Follies.

Ahmanson is a much more contemporary place than The Pantages where you could smell the history with every whiff you take inside that place. At the Ahmanson I felt a bit underdressed and that is saying a lot. People here are dressed to the nines. I even jokingly said I feel underdressed aside from that guy in front of the bald dude. The guy I was talking about looked like he wasn't wearing a shirt just a jacket which could cost more than my car with a perfectly coiffed hair. Wow I just realized I was paying more attention than I should have. Anyways this is one of those places you want to dress up in your Sunday's best and actually tell people "I am going to the theatre not the theater" in a snooty way. Well I wouldn't do that ever but I am sure the guy sitting in front us who uncannily looked like Ben Israel of the Cooking Channel's Sweet Genius.

The person I credit for easing me into the world where awards are named Tonys not Oscars is Laura S. She's actually been my hot date both times. So be jealous. What can I say, the girl has cultured me.

Parking is a breeze just enter the structure underneath the complex. Flat rate is $9 and there are people pointing out where you have to go. So that will minimize you looking like a fool navigating through this maze.

Would I be back?
    Yes. For someone who has been such a movie buff his whole life, I have to admit I have turned a new leaf and I can't wait to see several shows like War Horse, American Idiot, Rock of Ages, and The Addams Family to name a few.

kelli d

this is a small theatre in the heart of downtown where every seat is a good one. you don't need to sit in the front of the orchestra to feel like a part of the show. there's a parking lot for theatre patrons, which i think is a flat fee of $10, and there's an outdoor restaurant at the back of the theatre that also caters to show-goers.

Susan Lee
    3 Jul 05, 2012

The seats at tte Ahmanson Theatre are smaller and less comfortable than the seats at the Pantages. So, sometimes you feel as if your neighbor is really close to you. However, the seats are set up in a way where every seat has a good view of the stage.

Sharon F

Part of the Music Center downtown, the Ahmanson has hosted many Broadway shows including a long run of Phantom of the Opera. It isn't very large (not small either) and the seating gets real steep the higher up you go.

Carla Berti

The theatre is part of the Los Angeles Music Center. From the outside the architecture is very contemporary but once inside the theatre, you can appreciate the beautiful details of a much more classic design. You get a pretty good view even from the furthest seats. They have a great deal on selected tickets, I remember paying just $20 to go see "Monty Python's Spamalot". I my opinion, it's a great alternative to the usual "dinner and a move" date.

Pegine G
    5 May 29, 2013
    Herbert H
    5 May 27, 2013

Beautiful theater and grounds. Has food and refreshments available if you arrive early.

Carol H
    5 May 22, 2013

Yes, world renown performances are regulars here.

Pebsmom

Saw Evita here in the 80's. Beautiful musical in an absolutely gorgeous theatre!

The Ahmanson Theatre is a Los Angeles based theatre that offers high-class Broadway shows in a small, friendly environment. The compact nature of the theatre allows the audience to truly feel as if they are a part of the action rather than an intruder on it. Dialogue is also very easy to understand. The Ahmanson Theatre isn't just known for the quality of its shows and its setup, but the beauty of its physical presence. The outside is as modern and appealing as the inside is classically beautiful and engaging. The contemporary exterior of the building begs the audience to come in and, put quite simply, enjoy.

3,238 people visited Ahmanson Theatre