Alcove Cafe & Bakery

1929 Hillhurst Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90027

• Alcove Cafe & BakeryCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014
    Audrey Lo "@GogobotAudrey"
    5 Jun 29, 2014

Fantastic brunch spot in Loz feliz. The bread pudding and omlettes are all ginormous and tasty. You can probably share a plate. The service is great as well!

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal CultureFamily TravelersOutdoor Enthusiasts
    Alice Chua
    5 May 02, 2014

good for an all day eating, lol! love love all their desserts. love the outdoor scene. love the interior.

• Alcove Cafe & BakeryPro 2014
    Steven Lam
    3 Feb 15, 2014

We came here on Valentine's day and they had a themed event. Circus themed Prom with cotton candy, fortune telling, balloon animals, and other things. There were lots of balloons hanging around the venue and we got there a little late so only bar food was left. I really like the atmosphere of the place and it's packed since it's valentines day. wish we got the whole menu to choose from to eat instead of the bar food.

Lisa
    5 Jul 27, 2013

One of my favorite snuggle and hidden cafes in LA. Sometimes they have movies shown here on their outdoor patio. I come here for the amazing atmosphere and the late night desserts over coffee with a good friend. This place brings back great memories.

Yulree Chun "@GogobotLA"
    3 Jun 15, 2013

I know, I know, everyone loves Alcove. I think it's alright. I've been here four times now, every time hoping it'll be better than the last, but I was never impressed by the food or the service. For its hype, I expect more. I do enjoy the outdoor seating though!

travel33
    4 Dec 27, 2012

If you are looking for a cute outdoor patio to sit back and have a nice cup of coffee, this is the place I'd choose. I love the chill atmosphere, the cool crowd (not so hollywood) and the fact that they have both indoor and a large outdoor area.

I was craving a really good yogurt parfait and my goal was achieved. It had granola, plain low fat yogurt and tons of fruit...the one fruit I've never seen in a parfait was grapes - I actually enjoyed it.

Parking is mostly meters. When you enter the main door, you must order at the counter, they will give you a # for your table. The sweets counter (cakes, muffins, etc.,) looked really good. My friend just contacted me to make plans to go back for a type of bread pudding concoction we were eyeing the last time we were there. This place definitely gets 2 thumbs up.

Michele Pineda
    4 Dec 14, 2012

This is a neighborhood favorite for me if you can find a parking spot and a seat. On a nice day, you can't beat sitting outside under the trees with better than average food and a great selection of sweets!

C. Wylie
    4 Dec 03, 2012

An amazing place for brunch. The restaurant is in a charming old house and has lot's of outdoor seating. The salads here are really good.

• Alcove Cafe & BakeryPro 2014
    Grace C.
    3 Oct 12, 2012

came here twice with friends of mine. I love the food. fresh. i think they have some organic items on their menu as well. Breakfast all day.

I got huevos rancheros and then capped off the evening with a red velvet cupcake and a mocha.

Huevos rancheros - now keep in mind, don't be expecting authentic mexican food. That's NOT what you are getting here. But.... it's actually quite yummy. It comes with their potatoes. OMG - the best breakfast potatoes. Love them.

I picked a red velvet cupcake because I actually wanted one. I've said before that I usually judge a cupcake place by their red velvet. If they can do it well, most of their other ones taste great. It was really good. I give it an A. the creamcheese frosting was perfect and the cake itself was moist.

the Mocha - it was a mocha. it wasn't awesome, but it was still good and I drank almost the entire cup. The cool thing is, the barrista usually makes some kind of design in the drink with the milk, which I just think is amazing. A++ to the barrista who can do it. It's not an easy skill.

Parking sucks though. typical of Los Feliz/LA. usually circling around the block trying to find parking.

Seating can be hard if they are busy. It's mostly outdoor seating.

Overall, I like coming here. It's a bit far for me, since I live in the SGV, but when I'm out with my friends, it's a lot closer. Maybe next time, I'll actually try something else on their menu...but I like the huevos rancheros...

Richard P
    4 Jul 18, 2012

After a long weekend in Vegas with friends I decided to spend some family time. My mom had asked me to accompany her and my aunts to pick up rent at a few of our apartment buildings. I knew this was an invitation to have breakfast with them. They enjoy trying new places and they look to me to suggest something delicious. Thankfully my handy Yelp app came through!

After seeing that Alcove was nearby I suggested we try it out based on the reviews.

Parking was easy. I believe they have a parking lot in the back, but we were able to easily find street parking.

When we arrived there weren't too many people. We just walked up put in our orders and took a seat in the patio area. The atmosphere is great. Its a nice building with ivy growing on the side. It seems like a great area to sip on coffee and enjoy brunch. It also seems perfect for those who have dogs. I did see a few sitting near their owners.

The food was great! I order the steak benedict. While the steak was a little over cooked it was very tender, served atop focaccia, and topped with poached eggs. It also came with a nice side of fresh fruit ( melon, pineapple, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries). I enjoyed this was a nice chai tea which was served in a porcelain cup.

Great dining experience. Alcove is a nice place to have brunch. Although it was a little cold that day, they do have heaters on the patio. I look forward to eating brunch here in the future.

Jen H

Alcove is a great place to catch up with girlfriends or meeting up with a first date...it's casual enough where you can feel relax, yet it has an atmosphere of romance.

I haven't been here in awhile and when I recently visited, a bar has been opened! Its called big bar, I believe and its connected to Alcove. A little weird since its a bakery cafe connected to a bar, but hey! It works for them!

I usually get the salads and sandwiches, a bit pricy $15 after tax/tip but quite tasty and portion is huge!

Livinio S
    5 Jul 13, 2014

my brunch favorite walking distance from property

Eunice