- Temple of HeavenTian Tan North Road, Beijing, 11 1000 Chinarecommended Temple of HeavenGreat huge park. Lots of things to see. And of course the Temple of Heaven where the Emperor used to come pray to the gods. This is a cool structure with lots of photo ops. Lots of people though, so ... read moreearlier the better probably. The park is filled with people dancing or just hanging out. The trees are beautiful and peaceful.
- Summer PalaceY He Yuan Lu, Beijing, 11 1000 Chinarecommended Summer Palace
- Forbidden City4 Jingshan Qianjie, Beijing, 11 1000 Chinarecommended Forbidden City
- Great WallNorth of Beijing, Beijing, 11 Chinarecommended Great Wall
recommended Beijingrecommended BeijingChina's cultural capital (and to my mind vastly more interesting than the financial center of Shanghai), Beijing is a cool mixture of the old and the new, with some blockbuster sights (like the ... read moreForbidden City and the Summer Palace), a hip and gritty arts scene, excellent restaurants, and a fascinating historic district in the form of its (unfortunately vanishing) traditional hutong neighborhoods.Matthew Crompton
Modern China, grittier and more real than Shanghai.
recommended Hong Kong
recommended Yunnan ProvinceSkip Beijing and Shanghai, the real China is in the south! I lived here for four months and there was never a dull moment.
recommended Tiger Leaping GorgeHigh up in the mountains of Yunnan Province, and far away from any major city, this most classic of Chinese treks is some of the best this country has to offer. Recently spared the hydroelectric dam ... read moreproject that once spelled its doom, this moderately challenging two-day route takes a high and winding path between two 5000m mountains, forming one of the deepest river canyons in the world. It wanders through agricultural areas and small settlements tended by the indigenous Naxi people, and has some of the most spectacular scenery to be seen in China (or anywhere else for that matter). It's a classic tea-house trek, with food, shelter, and bedding available along the path, meaning that the bulk of one's baggage can easily be left back in Lijiang. A true highlight of any trip to China.Matthew Crompton
An outstanding tea-house trek with stunning scenery.
recommended HuangshanThe mountain geological park at Huangshan (the 'Yellow Mountain'), is an absolute highlight of a visit to eastern China. Stunning, otherworldly scenery of cloud seas and pine trees growing from the ... read moretip of mountain peaks make this one of the most famous spots for domestic Chinese tourists. Cable cars exist that can spirit you up and down the mountain, but for the best experience, a hike up the mountain followed by a stay at the mountaintop lodge to watch the sunrise the next morning can't be beat. The route down the 'Western Steps' is particularly gorgeous, but check your gut before attempting to summit Celestial Capital Peak - it gets pretty hairy near the top.Matthew Crompton
Gorgeous scenery and one of the best short hikes in Asia.
recommended SuzhouAbout 100km west of Shanghai, Suzhou is home to some of the very finest examples of what this country does best: traditional garden architecture. There are a number of truly spectacular private ... read moregardens that can be visited here, but nothing beats the 'Humble Administrators Garden', which is absolutely outstanding. The areas of the Old City, with their canals and traditional houses, are pleasantly atmospheric, and there are a number of great places to stay here if you want to make it more than a daytrip from Shanghai or Hangzhou.Matthew Crompton
Fabulous private gardens and an excellent old town.
recommended HangzhouOften visited as a day trip from Shanghai, the city of Hangzhou makes a fine alternative base for exploring the area. At the center of the city is the West Lake (Xi Hu), an enormous collection of ... read moregardens, bridges, and pavilions that's as lovely as anything China has to offer. Outside of the lake area (which is quite large, but can be circumambulated in a few hours) there's not a whole lot to see, but one can happily spend several days strolling and exploring lakeside and the hills that surround it, enjoying what is arguably China's prettiest urban landscape.Matthew Crompton
Gorgeous gardens around the West Lake.
- Star FerryStar Ferry, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
- Hong Kong International Airport (HKG) (香港國際機場)Chek Lap Kok Island, Hong Kong
- Great Wall at Badaling60 Kilometers From Beijing City, Yanqing, 11 1021 China
- Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport337台灣桃園縣大園鄉航站南路9號
- Tiananmen SquareChang An Avenue, Beijing, 11 1000 China
- Victoria Peak1 Lugard Road, Hong Kong Island Hong Kong