Going to Amsterdam
Who's on this trip?
Hello! I'm going to Amsterdam for four days in Feb. We're looking for a few groovy local restaurants, places to enjoy the canals (maybe an especially interesting canal tour?), somewhere romantic, and an activity or place that gives us the vibe of Amsterdam.
Trip Plan Details
- La FaloteRoelof Hartstraat 26, 1071 VJ Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Cheese FactoryWarmoesstraat 56, Amsterdam, Netherlandsrecommended Cheese FactoryYummmmm! Come in and try the samples! This restaurant is brand new, as of 2012, and is located right in the Red Light District. They have samples of all there cheeses out front. so much fun trying out ... read moreall those delicious cheeses.Yogic Traveler
All the best dutch cheeses! And the best part, you can sample all of them!
- Rederij Friendship210 Oudezijds Voorburgwal, Amsterdam, Netherlandsrecommended Rederij FriendshipGreat time! Somewhat unofficial boat tour of the canals. The tour guides were very nice and the entrance price included a drink. A great way to see the city!Yogic Traveler
This was a fun tour!
- Magnum Pleasure Store2 Rembrandtplien, Amsterdam, Netherlandsrecommended Magnum Pleasure StoreSuch a fun and unique experience! For only four Euros make your own custom Magnum icecream bar! Choose your coating topings and drizzel to make your own delicious creation!Yogic Traveler
This was a unique experience!
- Westerpark, AmsterdamSpaarndammer en Zeeheldenbuurt, Amsterdam, Nederlandrecommended Westerpark, AmsterdamSmall, but varied park just west of the Centraal station. Marshland, waterfalls, grassy fields and a small river section for swimming are all here including nice restaurants and cafes.Recommended for:Rachel E.
Don't know when you'll be in town but on Sunday, 16 February, the Neighborfood Market is being held at the Westerpark. This is a monthly event where chefs, caterers, wanna-be restaurant owners have their own little stall to sell their homemade goodness. They set up inside parts of the Westergasfabriek, an old gas factory and they actually set up dinner tables and chairs along with couches for people to sit and eat at. There's also a small selection of flea market items. It truly is a fun local vibe. If you want to know more, they're on facebook if you search "Neighborfood market".
- Int Aepjen ProeflokaalZeedijk 1, 1012 AN Amsterdam, Netherlandsrecommended Int Aepjen ProeflokaalCafe In't Aapjen is one of those eclectic characters in Amsterdam, with a history so rich you want to sit down and soak it all in. It is one of the few cafes that still serves marijuana to tourists, ... read moreyet has zero touristy connotations. As one of the last remaining authentic wooden houses in Amsterdam, it is a true "brown cafe" replete in 16th-century architectural splendor and bursting with character. The dim interior and era-appropriate atmosphere make you feel like you have been plunked down on the pages of a centuries-old storybook, or as though Vincent Van Gogh is just about to walk in. Truly a remarkable experience and a favorite hideaway of mine when I am in the city.Becky Mahan
You can't go to Amsterdam and NOT have pankoeken! Plus, you can try the "local specialty" if you so desire. ;)
- VondelparkVondelpark 1, Amsterdam, NH 1054 ET Netherlandsrecommended VondelparkOne of the prettiest and most charming parks I’ve seen in Europe – surrounded by quaint, Victorian-style homes on quiet blocks. Plop down beneath a lush tree in summer to people-watch, or gather at ... read morethe frozen ponds in winter to watch brave (or perhaps crazy) teenagers test the thickness of the ice and walk across the surface.Becky Mahan
Absolutely. Romantic? Yes. Relaxing? Yes. Go.recommended VondelparkBeautiful park. Lovely place to spend the afternoon out of the crowds and commotion. Depending on the weather, would be a great place to take kids or go for a picnic.D'Maris Coffman
Could be romantic. Depends on your tastes.
- Noordermarkt Organic Farmer's MarketNoordermarkt, 1015 Amsterdam, The Netherlandsrecommended Noordermarkt Organic Farmer's MarketThose who enjoy a good stroll through piles of vegetables and towers of cheese, with an occasional stop off to fondle scarves and antiques, will really dig the Noordermarkt. I definitely did. Stop off ... read moreat Cafe Winkel for a slice of apple cake after your visit.Recommended for:VegetarianJulia P
I saw this was already on your trip plan, but just wanted to say I totes agree! It's really cute. Cafe Winkel is just next door.
- RijksmuseumJan Luijkenstraat 1, Amsterdam, NH 1071 ZD Netherlandsrecommended RijksmuseumBrilliant museum and very important in the history of public museumship as well. You can spend a day here, but should at least spend an afternoon. Centrally located too.D'Maris Coffman
Recently re-opened and I am told it's awesome! It was cool before, but now is apparently really something.
- Flower MarketSingel
- Entrecôte et les DamesVan Baerlestraat 47, Amsterdam
- RembrandthuisJodenbreestraat 4, Amsterdam, NH 1011 NK Netherlands
- Albert Cuyp MarktAlbert Cuypstraat
- Royal Palace AmsterdamDam Square, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Van Gogh MuseumPaulus Potterstraat 7, Amsterdam, NH 1071 CX Netherlands
- Cafe Winkel43 Noordermarkt 431015
- Boom ChicagoRozengracht 117, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Park Plaza Amsterdam AirportMelbournestraat 1, Amsterdam 1075 RM, The Netherlands
- River AmstelMuntplein, Amsterdam 1012 The Netherlands
- ArtisPlantage Kerklaan 40, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Anne Frank HousePrinsengracht 267, Amsterdam, NH 1016 GV Netherlands
- Amsterdam CanalsAmsterdam, Netherlands
- Skinny BridgeAmstel 81, Amsterdam, NH 1018 EK Netherlands
- 't ArendsnestHerengracht 90, 1015 BS Amsterdam, Netherlandsrecommended 't ArendsnestAmazing selection of beers. Great knowledgeable staff. Some bar foods, but nothing worth talking about. Small place though and can get crowded during rush hour. Had no problem finding seating on a ... read moreSunday afternoon, then again it was a Sunday. Definitely a must in Amsterdam for beer lovers.Recommended for:Local CultureKelly G.
They only serve Netherland beer!
- Bakers & RoastersEerste Jacob van Campenstraat 54, 1072 BH Amsterdam, Netherlandsrecommended Bakers & RoastersAfter the sad demise of my favorite Amsterdam brunch place, I thought I was doomed to a brunchless existence. No more! Bakers and Roasters, a little taste of New Zealand in De Pijp, has banished my ... read morebrunchless blues! In three weeks, I've been three times and I have no intention of stopping. Location: currently a little difficult to find as there is construction on the road, but super close to the Heineken Experience building. Ambiance: Cute, cozy, bright and playful Food: Brunch, real brunch! I've had the eggs benedict, banana bread french toast and a variety of baked goods (the apricot chocolate cookies were my favorite!) and everything is wonderful! They also offer traditional meat pies with NZ lamb or chicken pesto. The side salads look amazing like their fig and arugula salad with pecorino cheese and honey dressing. My friends enjoyed the smoked salmon stack and a "power" breakfast of cottage cheese, grilled chicken, spinach and black beans. The coffee and fresh juices are wonderful too. Come and enjoy the great food and cheerful atmosphere!Recommended for:FoodiesRachel E.
Great place for brunch/lunch. Between myself and my colleagues we've basically had the whole menu and it's amazing. Fun, funky little Kiwi place in De Pijp.
- FEBODamrak 6, 1012 LG Burgwallen-Nieuwe Zijde, Nederlandrecommended FEBODisclaimer: I haven't actually eaten here because it's not veg-friendly, but I assisted on a film that had a scene shot here so I've spent a lot of time loitering there. This is one of those places ... read morepeople go after a night of drinking for a quick greasy snack, or after a morning at the office for a small greasy lunch. It's basically walls and walls of vending machines that have different hot snacks, like burgers and croquettes. There's also an area you can order some stuff from a real person, but that's not as fun.Margot B
I can't comment on the food quality and I doubt it's the most amazing, but the concept of ordering from automated machines is so novel! It should be in Tokyo. Or on the Jetsons.
- Museum Electric LadylandTweede Leliedwarsstraat 5, 1015 TB Amsterdam, Netherlandsrecommended Museum Electric LadylandElectric Ladyland is more like Eclectic Wonderland to me - or at least, that's how I felt inside this bizarre and simply "cool, dude" shop/museum. Nike, the owner, is a modern-day hippie who has ... read morecollected all sorts of flourescent-themed objects from around the world - like gray rocks that dazzle bright colors when placed beneath certain light wavelengths. He has devoted the shop to the phenomenon of fluorescence, and you will never have imagined you needed to see so many things glow...until you see them. If you get a chance, ask Nike to show you his glow-in-the-dark tattoo. You don't even need to be on 'shrooms to trip out in this place.Becky Mahan
For the vibe of Amsterdam, this is it. I haven't visited good ol' Nike in a couple years now, so I hope he's still open. Tell him an American girl he probably doesn't remember says hello!
- Blue Shopping center Kalvertoren 3rd floor, Singel 457, 1012 WP Amsterdamrecommended BlueWhen my host walked us into the shopping center, my heart sank. Then it rose as he took us up an elevator into Blue, a little restaurant/bar with a 360 degree view of Amsterdam. I didn't eat, but the ... read moreolives are top-notch.Julia P
Nice for a little (non-boozy or boozy) apero.
- Hotel De GoudfazantAambeeldstraat 10 H, 1021 KB Amsterdam, Netherlandsrecommended Hotel De GoudfazantI do love me some industrial chic, and Hotel de Goudfazant delivers in spades, shovels and exposed infrastructure. The "Good Pheasant" restaurant features adventurous plates like veal tongue along ... read morewith less challenging tastes like gnocchi with chioggia beets and goat cheese. I really enjoyed not only the adventure of getting here, but the experience of being here. Exceptional service, great atmosphere, and delicious food. Four thumbs up!Julia P
This place is fun, Alex L.
- De KasKamerlingh Onneslaan 3, 1097 DE Amsterdam, Netherlands