Trip Plan Details
- Sylvain Restaurant625 Chartres Street, New Orleans, LAAsk a New Orleans bartender where he or she goes to have a drink, and two names come out above the rest: Erin Rose, a late-night spot off Bourbon, and Sylvain. The cocktails here are complex and the ... read morebartenders knowledgeable. I was offered a taste of the rhum agricole that formed the base of one of my drinks to make sure I'd like it. Though this spot is just off Jackson Square, I must have walked by it dozens of times. Only when I went looking for it did I finally find it, and it was worth it.
- Twelve Mile Limit500 S Telemachus St., New Orleans, LA 70119Tucked away in a residential neighborhood, Twelve Mile is that perfect contradiction: a lowbrow bar serving high-end cocktails for less than you'd pay in another city (or the French Quarter, for that ... read morematter). Bartenders measure and mix up drinks like the Baudin and Gread Idea (it totally is) with touches like honey and Zwack. Don't miss Monday nights, when getting a drink buys you shockingly good free food.
- Cure4906 Freret St, New Orleans, LA 70115If you've heard of one fancy cocktail spot in New Orleans, it's probably Cure. With bartenders dressed the part in speakeasy-era garb and an apothecary's worth of bitters in droppers and misters ... read morearrayed around the bar, this thriving Freret Street spot has set the bar (drinking pun!) pretty high. It's almost too much, but the cocktails are just that good.
- Monteleone Carousel Bar 214 Royal Street, New Orleans, Louisiana 70130, USAThe cocktails here are classic, but they take a backseat to the fact that you're riding a carousel while you drink them. Okay, you sit on a bar stool rather than astride a painted horse, but you'll ... read morehave made one full revolution around the room every 15 minutes. There's a stationary bar at the back for the queasy serving the same famous fare: Sazeracs, a Brandy Milk Punch that's quite nice for breakfast (no matter what anyone tells you), as well as cocktails invented at the Carousel Bar. The drinks are a bit pricey, but it's worth it for the experience.
- Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans300 Bourbon St., New Orleans, LA 70130The Royal Sonesta plays host to many of the tastings and panels for Tales of the Cocktail, the annual meeting of spirited minds from around the world. These rooms have seen everything, from remarkably ... read morescientific discussion of blue gin to buttoned-up beverage professionals cozying up to an ice luge. Since the conference brings life to the stiller summer months, the hotel also provides a welcome respite from the July heat.
Help Alexandra Reisner plan a great trip.Add a Recommendation