- Sketch9 Conduit St, London W1S 2XG, United KingdomIt might sound totally outrageous but the toilets at Sketch are legendary and as soon as you ascend the white stone steps to lavatory heaven you will know why.My tip for Sketch is the afternoon tea. ... read moreWatch Central London go by as you sit in the luxurious lounge and take your time with friends in this immaculately designed restaurant and bar. A real staple of the London landscape Sketch is definitely worth seeing and the food and drinks are worth sampling too. Just off Regent Street and around the corner from Vogue House Sketch is great for stopping off before, or after a spell of shopping in the West End.
- Design Museum28 Shad Thames, London SE1 2 United KingdomThe Design Museum and shop are situated (until they move in 2015) in Wapping, in London's historic dock area. This area of the city is steeped in history, each building has a thousand stories to tell ... read moreas most of them are converted wharfs and warehouses, built when London held the world's biggest port.Founded by Terrence Conran 25 years ago the Design Museum is a fantastic space dedicated to the best in global design, the permanent collection is wonderful and their exhibitions are always fascinating, spanning fashion, home and the conceptual.
- The Wapping Project Wapping Hydraulic Power Station, Wapping Hall, London, United KingdomThis space is truly amazing, once The Wapping Hydraulic Power Station and now The Wapping Project this building's use has been totally transformed whilst keeping it's industrial structure.The food is ... read morepricey but very, very good and they have an amazing bookshop.The exhibitions here are always innovative and in tune with the history of the area making use of this unique space. At night the restaurant and bar are lit by candlelight. A lovely experience and a real taste of modern London in one of its most historically important areas.
- St Martins Lane Hotel45 St Martins Lane, London WC2N 4HX, EnglandThis hotel is pure design luxury. Philippe Stark designed from the furnishings to the door handles and right in the middle of London on St. Martin's Lane. You are a stone's throw away from theatreland ... read moreand Soho and a short walk from the river at Charring Cross but if you don't want to go far the hotel has the tranquil Light Bar and their restaurants Asia de Cuba and Cafecito. Personally I would take have a glass something lovely in the Light Bar and then take to the streets for all London's West End has to offer.
- 40 Winks109 Mile End Road | Stepney Green, London E1 4UJ, EnglandThis boutique gem has only two rooms so book in advance and you won't be disappointed. Previously a location house for film and photographic shoots, the guest rooms where converted to make this a ... read moreguesthouse thus providing shelter for the photographers and stylists who were working on site.This is destination for the style conscious and those wanting to be in the right place at the right time. Situated in Mile End the hotel is nestled close to Bethnal Green, Victoria Park and London Fields and Broadway Market. This if where to be if you want to be "on trend".The area is filled with lovely walks; art galleries, boutiques, markets, bars and restaurants, plus you are twenty minutes away from the West End and Oxford Circus by tube.
- AriaBarnsbury Hall, Barnsbury Street, Islington, City of London, United KingdomThis shop just off Upper Street in Islington has been a part of the area throughout its renaissance into the bustling high end, high street it is now. Part design shop, part showroom they are an ... read moreofficial Alessi stockist and still the only place in London where you can find and order some design brands. The staff are friendly and despite the high prices of some of the items browsers are welcome.If nothing takes your fancy here Upper Street is filled with independent boutiques, luxury chains and countless places to eat and drink to suit all budgets.
- Serpentine GalleryKensington Gardens, London, United KingdomRight in the middle of Kensington Gardens The Serpentine Gallery is small but perfectly formed. You have to walk through the park to get to the gallery and you can pass by the Royal Albert Hall or ... read moreKensington Palace on the way but do not be fooled… This is a very modern gallery concerned only with the cutting edge.The recently opened Zaha Hadid designed wing of the new Serpentine Sackler Gallery, a short walk further, is a testament to that. With a great bookshop and a killer program this is a must see for Art lovers visiting the capital.
- The Wallace CollectionThe Wallace Collection, Hertford House, Manchester Square, London, United KingdomLocated just behind Selfridges not only does the Wallace Collection have a wonderful collection of art and antiquities but the lovely winter garden is worth a visit on its own.This is a real ... read moreLondonder's secret as it's usually quiet during the week and a place where many thinkers come to centre themselves surrounded by the collection.It's also very near New Bond Street and Selfridges so a good place to come before or after hitting the shops.
- Boundary2-4 Boundary St, London E2 7JE, United KingdomIf there really are two London's Redchurch Street spans them both from Brick Lane to Shoreditch High Street. A destination in itself Redchurch Street boasts stores like Aesop and A.P.C along with ... read moreindependent galleries and coffee shops. At the head of the street sits Boundary and it's coffee cousin, Albion. Boundary is a hotel and has a lovely roof garden and restaurant. It also has a small produce store and a bakery on site. It chic but friendly and if you are in London in the summer, head for the rooftop.
- Baltic74 Blackfriars Road, London, United KingdomAs you emerge from the stunning Richard Rogers designed Southwark tube station Baltic is just over the road, hidden behind huge gates.You can have a vodka in the bar which is tastefully dark and ... read moremysterious and then walk into the white, light tranquil restaurant. Not only is the design stunning but, the food is wonderful.Baltic serve, ahem, baltic and central Asian cuisine. Not sure what that means? Take a leap and try it out and you will not be disappointed.Baltic is also a stone's throw from Tate Modern…
- National Portrait GallerySt. Martin's Place, London WC2H 0HE, United KingdomThe UK's national gallery dedicated to the portrait throughout history.The gallery has a permanent collection of portraits by and of great figures in British culture which is free and also has ... read moretemporary exhibitions, mainly of photography which are usually ticketed. The Portrait Gallery as it is affectionately known also hosts the annual Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait prize which is a big national event with the winning image being displayed all over the country. Situated next to the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square the National Portrait Gallery has a top floor restaurant with decent food and spectacular and unique views of London. Be sure to bag yourself a window seat!
- Lardo205 Richmond Road, London E8 3NJ, United KingdomSuper trendy and well designed restaurant specialising in charcuterie and pizza situated in hip Hackney Central near London Fields. Lardo boasts Great food, great cocktails, a cool industrial interior ... read moreand is located in the heart of East London with lots of great galleries and bars. The restaurant is also located very near the Hackney Empire theatre, which has a huge variety of shows from gigs and Opera to classic plays and Christmas pantomime.
- Ace Hotel London Shoreditch100 Shoreditch High Street, London E1 6JQ, EnglandThe über cool Portland conceived Ace hotel chain has landed in East London and it is very much at home. The Ace London has all you would expect of one of their stunning hotels (great decor and ... read moreexclusive in house events) plus it is situated in one of the most buzzing and exciting areas of London. Shoreditch boasts art, shopping, great restaurants and the historic Columbia Road flower market.
- Vitra Showroom30 Clerkenwell Road, London, EC1M 5PGThe London showroom for the legendary design firm Vitra is located in historic Clerkenwell, which sits between Holborn, Angel and Old Street. The showroom itself is worth a visit along with the many ... read moreother high-end design shops in the area. If you are clever you will visit on the one day of the year when everything in the store sells at a huge discount making many design classics affordable for those who queue up on the day.
- Victoria Miro16 Wharf Road, London, Greater London N1 7RW, United KingdomA commercial contemporary art gallery, Victoria Miro represents Yoyoi Kusama and Grayson Perry which, should give you an idea of the astute management of this space.The gallery is flawlessly tasteful ... read moreand wears the work well, plus there is a lovely garden.Located in between Angel and Old Street the gallery may appear awkward to get to but is actually very easy to find.
Help Amah-Rose Abrams plan a great trip.Add a Recommendation