Tribes: Who likes this place?
What the scores mean:
These scores tell you how well-liked a place is in each Tribe. Gogobot Tribes are groups who share a certain travel style, like Family Travelers or History Buffs.
Which Gogobot Tribe do you belong to? Join now
- 98%Luxury Travelers
Member Reviews (2)Write a review
- AmanpuloMember ofVegetarianLocal CultureOutdoor Enthusiasts+ 4First to ReviewOct 22, 2012
This is an exceptional property. Pamalican island is the tropical get away that you have always dreamed about and Amanpulo is flawless. You will pay for the privilege of visiting but Amanpulo really is heaven on earth.
Best things about the property:
- the idyllic setting. the pictures on the website are lovely but reality is even better
- the exceptional staff: very attentive and go out of their way to take care of you
- the variety and quality of food (Filipino, Vietnamese, Italian, Indian, seafood, etc.)
- the serenity of the Amanpulo lounge in Manila. they do a great job of ensuring you don't go through the chaos that goes hand in hand with other domestic flights out of Manila
After consulting friends who have stayed at the property, we chose to stay in a hillside casita to ensure that we had a good view of the ocean and surrounding islands. I think this was the right choice. From what we observed and from what others have told us, many of the beach casitas actually lack ocean views because they are obstructed by vegetation. The same may be true for some of the hillside casitas but it seems to be less of an issue. The view from #35 was particularly good. Being off the beach also limits your exposure to sand flies if you happen to visit the property at a time when they are a problem. We visited in April and had no problem with sand flies.
In terms of other recommendations when you visit:
- the food is exceptional at all of the venues. we didn't like the Spanish menu offered at the beach house as much as some of the other offerings; however, the staff at the beach house will let you order from the other menus so don't be afraid to just ask for what you want. we loved the veggie burgers, pizzas, and lentil soup.
- sunscreen is offered for free at the beach but my suspicion is that the SPF is pretty low. be sure to take your own with a high SPF. there isn't a lot of shade so adequate protection is essential
- if you use the free breakfast offered as part of Amex FH&R, be sure to check with the staff if you decide to order something other than the prescribed continental breakfast menu. we found the property to be very flexible but there was some confusion / inconsistency from restaurant to restaurant
I had some worries about visiting based on reviews of the property from a few years ago. We didn't observe any of the problems that seemed to have been an issue a few years ago (rooms were described as outdated and there seem to have been service issues).
- Fitness Center
- Room Service
- Swimming Pool
- Free Hi Speed Internet