Restaurants for Local Culture in Amsterdam, Netherlands

filtered byLocalX
  • Recommended for You

Bluebird

One of my favorite coffee shops in Amsterdam! Good people, far enough away from the red light district to not attract creeps, and good vibes!

Popular withLocalGreenBackpackers

FEBO

Disclaimer: I haven't actually eaten here because it's not veg-friendly, but I assisted on a film that had a scene shot here so I've spent a lot of time loitering there. This is one of those places people go after a night of drinking for a quick greasy snack, or after a morning at the office for a small greasy ...

Popular withLocalFoodiesBusiness

The Pancake Bakery

Bacon-, cheese-, or apple-topped pannenkoeken (larger and thinner than American flapjacks) are the items to order at this intimate canal-side space.

Popular withFoodiesLocal

Dutch Homemade

Delicious! Amazing selection of ice cream and macaroons. I highly recommend trying the Red (light) Velvet macaroon with cream cheese center. Incredible and unique! A bit pricey but worth the experience.

Popular withFoodiesLocalFamilies

Burger Bar

Delicious! I love these new specialty places that do one thing and do it right. Delicious burgers! Right next to McDonalds and Burger King this place is a much better choice with Irish and Kobe Beef, choose to add onions or mushrooms or BOTH! So good!

Popular withFoodiesLocalBudget

Hotel De Goudfazant

I do love me some industrial chic, and Hotel de Goudfazant delivers in spades, shovels and exposed infrastructure. The "Good Pheasant" restaurant features adventurous plates like veal tongue along with less challenging tastes like gnocchi with chioggia beets and goat cheese. I really enjoyed not only the adventure of getting here, but the experience of being here. Exceptional service, great ...

Popular withLuxuryFoodiesLocal

Blue

When my host walked us into the shopping center, my heart sank. Then it rose as he took us up an elevator into Blue, a little restaurant/bar with a 360 degree view of Amsterdam. I didn't eat, but the olives are top-notch.

Popular withLocalFoodiesLuxury

De Staalmeesters

De Staalmeesters restaurant/café is popular among locals because it has reasonable prices (for the location) and a great atmosphere, with smooth jazz music and a lovely view. For lunch you can choose your own grilled sandwich ingredients, which is nice compared to other fixed menu's. The free wifi is a plus.

Popular withFoodiesLocalAdventure

Venkel

Just opened this week: Venkel. A salad bar and (small) nice designed restaurant offering great salads, all biologic and all made with ingredients from farmers in the neighbourhood of Amsterdam,.

Popular withLocalFoodiesVegetarian

Village Bagels

Village Bagels is part of a big trend in the Netherlands - the gourmet bagel. Although it's painful for an American to spend upwards of 5 euro on a bagel, it really is an entirely different beast than the normal American one. These are smaller and the ingredients are picked with a lot of care. Village Bagels in particular has ...

Popular withLocalFamiliesStudents

Cafe De Pijp

You can sit outside for a bit of people watching on the lively Ferdinand Bol street, or take it inside for a bite to eat. The cafés menu has some international elements, Mexican, Italian, Indonesian, as well as the typical Dutch stews. The clientele at Café de Pijp is mostly composed of young students and professionals, and it will usually ...

Popular withTrendstersLocalNightlife

The Doors Coffee Shop

Classic Amsterdam coffee shop dedicated to the Doors with memorabilia and music. Come in and have a smoke with Jim, he is all over the walls.

Popular withTrendstersLocalBackpackers

Cafe de Jaren

Excellent grand cafe--good for people-watching, and with a nice terrace outside on the canal. Not too expensive, with better-than-average Dutch-cafe menu: simple sandwiches, some salads, koffie verkeerd (Dutch-style milky coffee) and fresh orange juice.

Popular withVegetarianLocalBudget

Restaurant Greetje

Truly, probably about 3.5 stars, but I round up for intention. The place serves artisanal Dutch food, and along with De Kas is one of the only really upscale restaurants in Amsterdam I can recommend. Greetje is set in a very pretty old canal house, full of Delftware and creaky wood floors, and the menu uses very traditional ingredients (good ...

Popular withLuxuryLocalFoodies

Cafe Winkel

This place was recently featured on Travel Channel and in Condè Nast Traveler so you might have to fight for a seat. Come during the off hours and enjoy some Bitterballen (fried meatballs) and a cool one.

Popular withVegetarianFamiliesLocal

The Grasshopper Coffeeshop

This is a really big coffee shop. I honestly prefer the smaller ones to this one. I'd heard great things about it so I stopped in around 10 pm on a Sunday and it was pretty empty

Popular withTrendstersBackpackersLocal
  • Other places you might like...

Hard Rock Cafe

I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I went to the Hard Rock Café, but I wanted to get a t-shirt for a friend who collects them and I was missing the States. I moped over a burger and a coke, pretending I wasn't in Amsterdam even though I was looking out at a canal.

Popular withBackpackersNightlifeTrendsters

Burgermeester

Yay for amazing burgers! I had two mini burgers so I could try out several kinds. I had the regular which was cooked perfectly and the goat's cheese burger which was a super yummy vegetarian option. So many options, I wish I had time to go back again!

Popular withVegetarianFamiliesBudget

De Kas

Upscale dutch dining may seem like a contradiction in terms, but this is a great little restaurant with an inviting atmosphere and very good food with a social conscience.

Popular withLuxuryFoodiesGreen

Maoz Falafel

I always miss authentic Middle Eastern food, which is harder to find in the Netherlands than you might think. I've once had falafel served on a hamburger bun!! Maoz, however, immediately brings the flavors of Israel back to me, and it's one of the cheapest meals you can have in Amsterdam as well.

Popular withFoodiesBudgetBackpackers