Rome, is happening!
Who's on this trip?
Hi Gogobot travelers, I am sure there are some hidden places in Rome that you might know, but not being recommended by other major travel publisher or sites. Especially small but high quality local gallery/ museums, beautiful small parks/ gardens, unnoticeable local cafes where you had an unforgettable cappu or a sightseeing places that surprised you.
Looking forward to unlocking Rome!
Trip Plan Details
commented on this trip
Thank you everyone for all the great recommendations! You make me really excited of the trip now!!
- Santa Pudenziana160 Via Urbana, Rome 00184 Italyrecommended Santa PudenzianaSanta Pudenziana is probably the oldest Christian church in Rome. It doesn’t look interesting at all from the outside, and inside it’s pretty plain, but the main attraction here are the 4th century ... read moremosaics (they have been restored). The mosaics (considered to be the oldest in Rome) are very impressive and colorful, they depict some religious scene. It’s worth a stop for sure, especially if you are visiting Santa Maria Maggiore (short walk from there).Recommended for:History Buffs
- San Luigi dei FrancesiVia Santa Giovanna D'Arco 5, 00186 Romarecommended San Luigi dei FrancesiThe church itself is pretty interesting but the main attraction is that it’s home to 3 masterpieces painted by Caravaggio on the life of Saint Matthew. You need to put a coin in a little box next to ... read morethe paintings for the lights to come up – then you can study and admire huge paintings.Recommended for:Art & Design Lovers
- Old Bridge GelateriaViale dei Bastioni di Michelangelo 5, 00192 Rome, Italyrecommended Old Bridge GelateriaWhile Giolitti is closer to the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps, Old Bridge is by far my favorite gelaterie in Rome. Close to the Vatican, Old Bridge does a hazelnut (nocciola) and rice (riso) gelato ... read morethat will make you want to move to Rome.Recommended for:Alex L
The best gelato in Rome, imo.
commented on this trip
The Pigneto neighborhood has tons of artists and galleries as well as global food and just a different vibe.
The neighborhood website is in Italian, but if you scroll down and click on "Artisti e Artigiani" it gives you a list of the artists in the area. The same is true for the other links for cinemas, restaurants, etc.
www dot pigneto dot it
- la riunione di condominio Via dei Luceri 13recommended la riunione di condominioAmazing, funky venue for music, live and DJed. The name in Italian literally means the meeting of the condominium and it does feel like that local hangout with comfy couches and chairs, bookshelves ... read moreand personal touches. The stage is small and intimate making it feel like you are in someone's living room. Great place for a night out with friends or a romantic date.Recommended for:Nightlife LoversRachel E.
Check out the website to see what's on. Saw an amazing band I had never heard of which is now one of my favorites.
- Bar PompiVia Albalonga 7, Roma 00183 Italyrecommended Bar PompiThis is a tiramisu ninja bar masquerading as an everyday Italian get your coffee and cornetto bar. Definitely, definitely worth a special trip - the tiramisu is a great gift to bring to dinner ... read moreparties, as all Romans know (and revere) it. If you're an American tired of the shlumpy, dumpy, totally ubiquitous tiramisu at every stateside Italian restaurant, Pompi will make you realize why the stuff became so popular in the first place.Julia P
If you want really good tiramisu, this is where Romans go.
- Big Mama ClubVicolo di San Francesco a Ripa, 18, 00153 Rome, Italyrecommended Big Mama ClubThis place is one of the reasons why I love Trastevere so much. Looking at Big Mama's, you might think it's a tucked away restaurant or bar. But go down a flight of stairs and you will discover one of ... read moreRome's best jazz clubs. The club charges a cover, but if you pay a yearly membership fee (something like 15 euros) the membership will make up for itself in two visits. I saw a lot of talented musicians perform here, and the crowd is always respectful, animated and friendly. Lots of tables to sit at, lots of great drink options, and really, really good music.Erin K
Hidden, affordable, and oh-so-cool.
- Freni e FrizioniVia del Politeama, 4/6, 00153 Rome, Italyrecommended Freni e FrizioniI love Freni's! Their mojitos are delicious, the food is never-ending, and you can have all of it for a very low price. If you're lucky, the drummers will be out on the steps of Piazza Trilussa, and ... read moreyou can listen to them jamming while meeting new friends on Freni's patio.
- Villa Doria Pamphili183 Via Aurelia Antica, Rome 00164 Italyrecommended Villa Doria PamphiliWhile most people cite the Villa Borghese as Rome's biggest park, Villa Doria Pamphili, located in the Monteverde district, is actually the largest. I have a lot of love for the Borghese, but Pamphili ... read morewas my favorite place to go on long walks when I lived in Rome. Since it's not as well known, there are fewer tourists and more locals strolling around the gardens, watching turtles sunbathe in the pond, and looking at the Villa's impressive architecture. There are also a number of great lookout points from the Gianicolo, which is en route to the park. From here you can see the entire city, including the Vatican off in the distance.Erin K
This is my favorite park in Rome and more hidden than the Borghese - which equals less touristy! I loved coming here for a picnic and people watching.
- Santa CeciliaPiazza di Santa Cecilia, 16, Rome, Province of Rome, Italy
- Villa Farnesina230 Via della Lungara, Rome 00165 Italyrecommended Villa FarnesinaImpressive villa with some erotic frescoes and some interesting markings from the German occupation on the wall. We had a private tour so I am not sure what the public one entails, but I can't imagine ... read moreit would be disappointing. The art is wonderful.
- Caffè Canova - TadoliniVia del Babuino, 150/a, 00187 Rome, Italyrecommended Caffè Canova - TadoliniService was a bit dodgy and they were out of most food items by the evening, but fabulous location for amazing cocktails amid the sculptures. Pretty camp but fun! Have coffee or tea among the statues! ... read more
- Orto Botanico24 Largo Cristina di Svezia, Rome 00165 Italy
- Betto E MaryVia dei Savorgnan, 99, 00176 Rome, Province of Rome, Italyrecommended Betto E MaryAmazing authentic working class Roman cuisine. You need to speak Italian to be happy there and if you wear a tie, they'll cut it off. But if you can hack that, it's a fabulous experience.
- La FocacciaVia della Pace, 11, 00186 Rome, RM, Italy
- Antica Birreria PeroniVia di San Marcello, 19, 00187 Rome, Province of Rome, Italyrecommended Antica Birreria Peroniwonderful restaurant tucked away off the Via del Corso. Does amazing fettucini and steaks and sausages (served 'Roman style') of all sorts. Especially enjoyed the ox. Good bread as well and, of ... read morecourse, peroni beer.
- Caffe del QuirinaleVia XXIV Maggio 49 Roma