Ana Mandara

891 Beach St, San Francisco, CA 94109

Connie Pistilli

It had been years since I'd dined at Ana Mandara, and I'm not sure why! The food, ambiance and service were all excellent.

I highly recommend getting the "Pieces of Gold" - a delicious spicy claypot fish sauteed with garlic, ginger and scallions. I also loved their barbeque prawns and filet mignon. For dessert, I had their famous flourless coconut rum cake, which was yummy. Their garlic noodles were probably the only disappointing item on their menu. I was definitely expecting something similar to Crustacean's, but instead it was a thinner noodle and not very garlicy.

I'd suggest dining upstairs in their lounge instead of their main dining area. I preferred sitting up there and getting more personalized attention from Brandon, their awesome bartender, and sitting right next to the live jazz trio. Plus you can be somewhat of a voyeur and watch all the diners downstairs!

Betty N.
    3 Jul 05, 2012

The decor is mediocre at best. Le Colonel is better if you want ambiance and decor. It is located in the touristy part of SF, you know, Ghirardelli Square.

The dungeness crab soup was decent, nice and warm. Then the beef tenderloin aka bo luc lac was tender and flavorful. Pricey for $26, but whatever. The dessert, a so-called coconut rum cake, tasted like ass. It should have been called a dried up crusty flan, not coconut rum cake. Wait, is that how "asian fusion" works?

I am not a fan of overpriced Vietnamese food or "Vietnamese haute cuisine" unless it's NOT mind-blowing. Ana Mandara is definitely mind-blowing.

Nice try, Don and Cheech. Nice try.

• Ana MandaraCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014
    Keane
    3 Jul 04, 2012

I recall liking the food when I dined here awhile back, though it wouldn't be my first choice for Vietnamese cuisine in the city.

The interior is quite lovely, making Ana Mandara a prime spot for nighttime partying. It attracts a particular crowd that I can't say I prefer—collars and heels, if you know what I mean. My biggest gripe was the price of mediocre drinks and bottled beer. Surely it can't cost that much to use lift an opener...

In conclusion, I would come back here to dine, while passing on the nighttime shenanigans.

JohnMichael

Ana is a place that I usually find myself bringing someone to celebrate a particular occasion. I find that the place is very nice when it comes to decor and ambiance. I mean, Don Johnson aside ( is he still a co owner? ) I find it very romantic along the lines of it being dark and exotic - as far as San Francisco is concerned.

I remember that particular night was Valentine's and as such Ana offered a specific menu that which was very good. Not to mention the very good cocktails to match.

You have to bear in mind that we had been drinking all day - she perhaps more than I - so the food was excellent and service was fantastic - considering that the hostess ran out after us with my date's purse in hand. Like I said, the drinks were awsome and complimented the food very well.

Nam Nguyen

Okay, okay. I may get knocked out from the Asian community for endorsing such an outright display of colonialism...but who cares, I love me some Ana Mandara!

I first came here a few years ago with my sister as a Tet celebration and haven't stopped since. I was at first shocked at how much they were charging for "bo luc lac" aka...stir fried beef cubes. Seriously?! My mom makes this dish in her fabulous way for a fraction of the price! But once I took my first bite out of the cubed tenderloins, I was in for it. Taasssttttyyyy!

I also really love their Banana Blossom Salad with chicken and citrus. The flavors are extremely vibrant and savory--but light at the same time!

Another fav, not for the faint of hearts, is the whole fried red snapper.

The ambiance of the restaurant is quite nice with dark teak wood and bamboo ceiling fans. They have a nice upstairs lounge with jazz music, etc. The downside is that it's a bit pricey but the cost could easily be justified for a nice occasion or holiday.

And finally the last tidbit of info on this place.....it's owned by Don Johnson and Cheech Marin. Yes, that's right. Miami Vice Guru and 70's-ganj-smoking comedian. But don't hold it against this restaurant as it is a MUST try.
    Edit Remove