A.O.C

8022 W 3rd St, Los Angeles, CA 90048

• A.O.CPro 2014
    Re becca
    2 Apr 16, 2014

he waitress suggested a couple of things for me since i am a vegetarian, this was what she came up with :

The ravioli - that i asked a couple of time to bring out and she forgot to put it in or I am not sure what happened because she brought out some rice dish with spinach instead, I didn't realized this mistake till after dining there and now I'm even more disappointed that I never got to try it!
    The Curry Cauliflower- she highly recommended this, as it was one of her favorite but it was just ehh to me.
    Heirloom tomato salad- I actually Realllly enjoy this , Best dish (next to the dessert) of the night!

She also highly recommend my friend ( a meat lover) to get this meat slider thing and he said it was EXTREMELY Salty!

so the dessert- was this white ice-cream top with a weird concoction of a bunch of different treats inside..it was such a surprise! i loved it!

Vegas and Food
    3 Feb 21, 2014

I went there for sunday brunch. Brioche and albacore salad was delicious. But chicken and waffles had way too much syrup on it. I was hoping they're gonna serve syrup on a side, but they put all over the waffle so we couldn't eat all the waffles. Sorry, but not everyone likes waffles soaked in maple syrup. Also the service was terrible. I never saw my server, no refill. not going back.

• A.O.CPro 2014
    Verlisia
    4 Nov 06, 2013

From what I heard about AOC I was expecting fantastic service but not-so-amazing food. To my surprise, I received quite the opposite.

I do appreciate how they didn't call me up 10 times to confirm my reservation like others did. I am a woman of my word and I keep perfect track of my schedule, especially when it comes to food.

There were a lot of memorable dishes. Their version of the bacon wrapped date was even one notch higher than my favorite tapas restaurant - Firefly in Las Vegas. The combination of the crispy bacon and the melty Parmesan was magicial. Arroz negro with squid has the most unusual richness of flavors. The charcuterie we have tried - lomo iberico, lomito, cabecero - were just pure art. Let's not forget about their arctic char. It was one of the best I have had in terms of texture. It was cooked to perfection and I don't think it could get any better.

Food was excellent but service was lukewarm. Our server was courteous but not particularly enthusiastic. Food and drinks were brought to us often without introduction. Some dishes took much longer to prepare and our server rarely check up on us. For a restaurant in this caliber, the service is just meeting the bare minimum requirement. I like the ambiance. It was classy and romantic. The tables were too cramped together though. Would really prefer some more comfortable seats for an intimate evening.

I wouldn't say this is a must try restaurant in LA but it is not a bad place to dine.

Recommended for:Business TravelersFoodiesLuxury TravelersNightlife Lovers
    Sharon K. Yapp
    4 Aug 01, 2013

I've been to AOC twice and think it's a great experience overall. But I'd also say that not all dishes are equally good. Some are average, while others are superb. This is a great restaurant if you like to try different dishes and have a long leisurely dinner. The seating is very close though, so I don't recommend AOC if you want a more intimate dinner.

Recommended for:Trendsters
    Aren
    4 Jun 07, 2013

Very good food + Bad service = My nutshell.

Paprika Porkchop - By far the best thing we tasted. Should have ordered another. 5 stars for sure. Can't express my love for the flavors in this dish. Kudos to the chefs, cooks, and inspirations behind this.

Clams in Sherry - Too oily. Not enough clams. Price should be adjusted. Bread is too oily. Flavors are good though - not spectacular. Did I mention too oily? 2.5 stars?

Hangar Steak - Not bad, not bad. Honestly, the roquefort compound butter is too overpowering. Maybe a milder bleu cheese would fare better? 3.5 stars.

Cheeses - Extremely good. Would come here just for the cheese plates. Can't exactly remember which varieties we tried. Some french brie-like cheese and a spanish goat cheese. Both very good! 5 stars.

Goat cheese salad w/saba - Accidentally ordered this. Wanted the bacon-wrapped dates everyone goes on about. Very good mistake! 5 stars! Would order again for sure.

Service - Unfortunately, the only place where AOC fails. We were pretty much ignored by our waiter. The bussers took great care of us, though, I really want to make that clear. There was never a time they didn't refill drinks or replenish bread. I wish the tip could go to them and the cooks because some waiters really ruin a great dining experience.

Had to flag down the hostess to put in a dessert order because waiter was being chatty with random people. Took about 20-30 minutes for entire payment transaction at end of dinner. Instead of quickly accommodating our bill (which would've taken no more than 2 minutes), our waiter decides to take the order of a very large table across from us - one-by-one while we just sit around and wait.

We ended up leaving the establishment 45 minutes later than we should have. I have a huge problem with that.

Will definitely go back again this year. I just won't be expecting anything special from the front of the house which is pretty common with most restaurants in Los Angeles.

Jean Rhee
    5 Apr 22, 2013

AOC recently moved to a new location further west on 3rd Street. Same amazing food and wine selection at the new digs. They also have managed to maintain the intimate and rustic European feel, while expanding their square footage substantially and adding an adorable outdoor seating area. I didn't think this place could get much better, but it did! Especially digging the curried cauliflower and the Vintner platter, which comes with a bit of cheese, a bit of charcuterie and yummy assorted pickles.

Andy Jackson
    5 Dec 20, 2012

Really lovely restaurant not far from West Hollywood, excellent choice of small dishes full of flavour and great quality of food. Expect to need about 3 dishes per person unless you're not very hungry and allow for dessert if you are. Ask them to feed you if you cant decide - we had a fabulous meal this way. Also the wine list is extensive and very well chosen to complement the food choices. Highly recommended!

Siao Jer
    4 Aug 17, 2012

4-- can't go wrong with a place like AOC... came here for a date; just the right type of environment to enjoy some good food, good wine, and wonderful company. AOC is conducive to conversation, but is not hectically loud. The servers are friendly, make good recommendations, and certainly do not rush you out.

pros:
    - great service
    - good ambiance
    - excellent pace (brought one or two tapas out at a time)
    - huge wine selection, good recommendations

cons:
    - a little bit spendy for what you got, i think you can get a lil more for a little less $$ elsewhere

Celeny Da Silva
    3 Jul 03, 2012

The dishes are good, not great! The space is slightly cramped and does not allow for much privacy. The service is mostly standard. The wine list, the best feature of the venue, is extensive and especially overvalued. It is a 'checklist', not a regular restaurant.

Ann Ani Hung