recommended Sushi TomiYum. This place is great. Was taken here by a Japanese friend of mine, who says this is her favorite place in the area. It didn't disappoint. Had the sashimi omakase which was some of the best sashimi ... read moreI've had in the Bay Area. The atmosphere is nice but unremarkable. Definitely not a romantic spot. This place is very popular, though. We had a very long wait for a table - one made worse by the fact that they just were not very organized - there were times where they had 5 tables open up and no one to bus them because they were taking calls for takeaway while the mob at the door was growing.
- La Fondue - Saratoga14550 Big Basin Way, Saratoga, CA 95070recommended La Fondue - SaratogaAmazing spot. The service is incredible, the atmosphere romantic and fun, and the food is great. Our waiter, Kyle, was top notch.
- Naschmarkt Restaurant384 East Campbell Avenue, Campbell, CA 95008, United Statesrecommended Naschmarkt RestaurantNouvelle Austrian food in a modern, bistro atmosphere with exposed brick walls and intimate lighting. The krautroulade was very tasty. The schnitzel looked amazing but was unremarkable. Great ... read moreselection of Austrian wines.
- Screamin' Mimi6902 Sebastopol Avenue, Sebastopol, CArecommended Screamin' MimiA great ice cream parlor. All the flavors are good. Fine indoor seating, but you may prefer to get a cone and stroll the streets of Sebastopol.
- Mammoth Rocks, Sonoma Coast State BeachHighway One, Jennerrecommended Mammoth Rocks, Sonoma Coast State BeachI loved walking the trail and seeing native wildflowers in bloom in January! The Mammoth Rocks are easy to spot, and are popular with climbers. During the Pleistocene mammoths rubbed against the rock ... read moreoutcrops after wallowing in mud. The rocks are visibly polished. Impressive! You can rub your contemporary hand across the smooth rock face, warmed by the sun. It's a stunning location. Surrounded by a sea of native grasses, and the glory of the Pacific Ocean to the west. You can find the Mammoth Rocks just about 1.5 miles north of the Shell Beach parking lot at the Sonoma Coast State Beach. Bring a picnic and something to drink. No dogs allowed.
- Andy's Produce Markets1691 Gravenstein Highway North, Sebastopol, CArecommended Andy's Produce MarketsLocavore? Andy's is where the locals shop and it's full of locally grown produce. Double good! On the road between Sebastopol and the ocean.
recommended SebastopolSebastapol is full of small-town California charm. You can buy underwear from organic cotton, eat sumptuous ice cream, visit galleries, or shop for antiques. The countryside around town is even more ... read moreenthralling with apple orchards (there's an apple blossom festival) vineyards, and winding roads to the ocean.
- Locanda Positano617 Laurel Street, San Carlosrecommended Locanda PositanoI was really impressed by this little italian restaurant in downtown San Carlos! Inside, the decor is very modern and sleek, and the bartenders know how to make a good drink! We were actually not ... read moreseated until an hour after our reservation, but the manager handled the situation so well that our party didn't even mind. They sent us appetizers to the bar while we were waiting and then at the end of our meal, they sent us a dessert platter to apologize again for the wait. The service here is truly exceptional. The food here was also delicious! Very fresh ingredients, great homemade pasta and great house-cured meats. I am pretty sure you can't go wrong with anything on their menu.Traci
they also have a sister restaurant next door (Limone) that has a Veuve Clicquot champagne lounge in the front for a special treat :)
commented on this trip
I haven't been, but I hear Joseph Phelps is a good winery to check out!
- Lark Creek Blue378 Santana Row, San Jose, Californiarecommended Lark Creek BlueNew sleek and modern seafood restaurant part of the Lark Creek restaurant group that replaces Yankee Pier at Santana Row.
- Dry Creek Grill1580 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, Californiarecommended Dry Creek GrillSleek new restaurant serving up New American cuisine in Willow Glen! Super spacious and dimly lit, this is an amazing new addition to the area. Love the large bar and lounge area, which is a great ... read morespot to grab a drink if you just want to keep it more casual. In addition to dinner and late night service, you can set up mixology seminars and pairing meals. Fire pits are lit up out front at night, which are a nice touch.
- Steam209 University Ave, Palo Alto, Californiarecommended Steam3.5 stars for this newly opened dim sum restaurant opened up by the same owners as Taipan. The former Andale space is nice and modern with a great outdoor patio in the front. The food is reasonably ... read morepriced, with dim sum items at $3 (comes with 3 pieces instead of the typical 4), and larger plates at around $10. The pan fried seafood dumpling was my favorite. Nice addition to University Ave, but not the most authentic Chinese food.
- Scratch401 Castro St, Mountain View, Californiarecommended ScratchBrought to you by the folks behind Palo Alto's Creamery, Reposado and Gravity, Scratch is a fine destination for upscale American comfort food. It's a much needed addition to the predominantly Asian ... read moreCastro St. The interior is modern and sleek, spacious yet warm. It's a great spot for groups and for impressing dates. We had a group lunch here during the week. Because it's such a large space, the place was not completely full, but it was definitely lively. The menu was reasonably priced, with lots of options to satisfy everyone. I had the Cuban sandwich with perfectly fried fries which I really enjoyed. Other winners among our group included their burger, shrimp pasta and ahi salad. Their horseshoe shaped bar at the entrance seems like a great spot to grab a drink, and I'd love to check out their dinner menu too. I really hope they do well and put an end to the curse which has seemed to make the spot a short lifespan for a lot of restaurants. I'm glad Castro can finally scratch off the need for contemporary American food!
- Nick's Next Door11 College Ave, Los Gatos, Californiarecommended Nick's Next DoorIf you've been to Nick's on Main, then you'll love Nick's Next Door even more! If you haven't, you'll have to go to both. Nick's Next Door has a lot of the same lovely signature dishes and other New ... read moreAmerican specialities. There's a great outdoor patio for dining al fresca and the inside is more spacious than on Main. A wonderful spot to celebrate special occasions or for date night.
commented on this trip
What kind of food does your mom like?
- Sand Dollar Beach and Picnic AreaCalifornia 1, Big Sur, CA
- Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park47225 California 1, Big Sur, California
- Hearst Castle750 Hearst Castle Road, San Simeon, CA