Avogaria Locanda & Restaurant

Dorsoduro 1629, 30123 Venice, Italy

• Room Service
    • Free Hi Speed Internet
    See Room Choices:
    Compare best prices from top travel sites

Overview

• Avogaria Locanda & Restaurant
      Luce Shilton
      1 Jul 05, 2012

I KNOW THIS IS LONG BUT IT MUST BE SAID!!!

Me and my girlfriend went to this hotel for Valentines Day and went on the strength of other peoples reviews, HOWEVER when we were first shown the room both me and my girlfriend were very disappointed!! Both of us felt that for what we paid for, it was grossly overpriced, given that the HOSTEL in Florence that we stayed in a week before was cleaner, bigger, had internet connection and it included breakfast and dinner and only cost us 35 Euros each night.

The tremendous disappoint was when we found an ANTS NEST in the room. One biscuit fell down on the opposite side of the room in the corner no way near a window and 10 minutes later there were thousands of ANTS crawling all over the biscuit. Then we decided to look around the room and we found out that they were also on the BED we were sleeping in. Immediately we called the waitress who came and took a look and called the manger, who said he will come within 30 mins. 2 hours later he finally decided to show his face and upon arrival he did not even address us and the worse thing is that he NEVER even apologised at all for the ants nest and told the waitress that she ‘you should not have called him for something such as this’ and left the waitress to continuously apologise to us. The waitress passed on a message from the manger (we found this to be poor service) even though the manger was standing behind her and could speak very good English that the ants had travelled approx 5 – 6 metres from the window to the corner of the room in 10 mins which is preposterous. Later on when they told us it has all been cleared and we left for an hour or so when they put powder down I discovered that the ants were still taking the crumbs back under the carpet where I found a hole which obviously is where the nest is and they claimed to have been ‘cleared’. Once I lifted the carpet I still found more ants still alive certainly they were not making there way from the window but from the hole. Our main issue with this is that we were not offered a change in rooms (there was 1 available at that time) and not offered any compensation.

One of the issues was on arrival to the hotel, we were told that breakfast was included by the waiter and so each had breakfast everyday. Again the breakfast was disappointment because it said it was full English breakfast but it only offered eggs and bacon with a few strips of bread with were approx in size 2 x 2 inches which is clearly not full English breakfast and certainly not big enough to make a bacon sandwich. Both of us ended up buying more food 1 hour later due to the fact that neither of us could fill up on breakfast. When leaving we were we were informed that we had to pay for breakfast. The manger told the waitress to get in contact with the waiter who told us that breakfast was included and if he had said that then he would have paid for it out of his money and it does not bother hi one way or another as long as he gets paid and while this was going on he was laughing all the way through. His attitude showed that he has little regards towards his staff.

The third issue was when we first used the shower head the metal cover came off as soon as we turned on the shower; clearly it was broken before we even got there. My girlfriend planned to tell the hotel staff as soon as we got dressed. My girlfriend forgot to tell them when we left (an error on her part) but upon return the waiter told us that the shower pipe had been fixed and that they insinuated that we broke it the waiter said ‘ OH by the way, we fixed the shower head’. We told him what happened exactly what happened and he said again ‘ well…..shower pipes down break that often, we fixed it a last month!! ’ again insinuating that we broke it. The next day the waitress also told us we had to be careful about the shower pipe and again we explained what happened and she was a lot more understanding than the waiter. I am not even going to go in to how the shower room was so dirty.

There was only ONE good point about this place and that was the waitress who was excellent at dealing with issues, serving breakfast and even small chit chat. With out her that place would be nothing.

When we paid the amount of money for this hotel, we expected higher standards than what was given. Also the manger deemed it appropriate not to apologise!! The manager I feel lets down the hotel with his attitude towards guests and his staff.

Our advise is those that wish to really enjoy Venice is to buy the Italy/Venice Lonely planet guide book and research the Hotels they have chosen and stay away from this place.

Now, the managers response on tripadvisor and my reply back:

Dear Mr Pugliese, I write in response to the review on trip adviser regarding your complete fabrication of the truth, poor management style and your extremely poor English. My suggestion to you first of all is to take English lessons so that you can ensure adequate service to your customers.

18 April 2012
      Dear Mr. Evony,
      you stayed on February 12, 13 and 14 2012 in room U N O, a double superior with garden. The bedroom is provided with a bathroom with a double shower (suitable for two people).

On the morning of the 13th, you called Marta, our waitress, because there were some ants in the bedroom. Marta asked you to come into the room to get aware of the situation and decide what should have been done.

Marta found the floor of the room and the sheets on which You and Your fiancée slept, full of crumbs and pieces of a cake, eaten the night before, whose the left half uneaten was on the moquette just underlieing the window facing the garden. The crumbs were accompanied by the pieces of the icing that melted during the night due to the heat of the bed, staining the sheets and the bedspread. Thousands of small multicolored sugar sprinkles were spread all over the room. The window open on the garden, all the night, and the heating at full power. In the bathroom one of the two showers had been wrecked and was hanging on the floor. Bottles of wine and glasses at the foot of the bed.
      (MY RESPONSE)
      Complete fabrication. There were certainly no crumbs over the floor or on the sheets as I don't have a tendency to sleep in crumbs and cakes. The only issue was around the bin which unfortunately was knocked over due to it being too full as the bin wasn't emptied by cleaners. There was also certainly nothing left by the window as neither of us didn't eat by the window nor leave it open all night due to it being in the middle of winter and being quite cold as that usually is the case in winter. Nothing had been melted on the bed-sheet due to the heating and EVEN if it had, cake crumbs DO NOT stain. The shower was not wrecked. English definition of wreaked implies broken shower, broken mirror, everything turned upside down. What was broken was the very cheap replaceable shower hose that had not been fixed properly after the last guests. Extremely poor on your part. Bottles of wine had been consumed and had been left on the black bench next to the T.V. Glasses and wine bottles were certainly not left on the floor as being someone very particular, I liked to leave the room in a reasonable state. With regards to the heating, that is what it is there for. I get very cold extremely quickly and often have the heating on full at home. You HAVE NO RIGHT to question that. My boyfriend is my boyfriend, not my fiancee.

In situations like these, in which is clear and evident that all the damages have been caused by the guest, our task is to get things back as they were, cleaning the room and replace the potencially broken pieces.
      (MY RESPONSE)
      Explained above, you did not fix the shower hose from previous guests. The only mistake on my part was when it happened on the first morning is that I forgot to tell the waitress that it was not secured on properly. Your error.

We are not used to apologize to guests causing damages. It usually happens the contrary.
      (MY RESPONSE)
      Poor English. We never caused any damage and you never apologised for the ANTS NEST which is in the room in the wall of the corridor and they certainly did not come from outside.

With regard to breakfast, You reserved chosing the "Room Only" option, which means without breakfast. Upon your arrival, you asked Pierluigi, our waiter, to add the breakfast to your booking. As a matter of fact, for 3 days you had breakfast choosing from our à la carte menu.

On the day of your departure, Pierluigi, the waiter, had his day off and you tricked us into believing that the waiter told you that breakfast was included. It is not necessary to ask wether the breakfast is included or not, since it is clearly stated on your reservation. In your presence, then, we gave a call to Pierluigi, who confirmed that you asked to add the breakfast to your reservation.
      Once again it was clear that you were trying to find en excuse not to pay the bill. And I must say that your very young age, the blush on your face and your longing to walk away saying that you had to catch the train which was leaving soon, moved us to sorrow.
      )MY RESPONSE)
      With regards to breakfast, we did not trick you in any way shape of form and to say so is rude and insulting from someone who calls himself a manager. On arrival, your waiter TOLD us breakfast was included. Neither one of us thought to think or check otherwise, that should have been up to You and YOUR STAFF. Do not insult due to YOUR ERROR. When we had breakfast on the first day, the waitress said we had to pay and we informed her that on arrival we had been told that it was included to which she spoke to someone and came back and said yes it was included. Again YOUR ERROR. WE didn't ask to add breakfast to the room due to the poor quality and quantity to what you were offerings at quite frankly rip off prices. It was not clear that we were finding an excuse not to pay due to YOUR ERROR. There

Hotels Near Avogaria Locanda & Restaurant