Backpacker Concierge

• Backpacker Concierge

Eric at Backpacker Concierge was amazing.
    He did a thorough job determining who we were and what we wanted to do for our custom vacation in Turkey and Armenia and he put together a five star trip.
    The local guides he selected to work within us were from very good to excellent. We learned a lot and experienced a lot and the people Eric selected made that possible.
    With Eric's help, we went outside the standard tour package ... we trekked in the north eastern mountains and stayed in a small family owned pension, we stayed in a luxury bungalow in Sirince, swam in the marble swimming pool and went on daily trips to the ancient cities of Ephesus and Aphrodisias, we explored the Armenian and Georgian monasteries in both Turkey and Armenia, dined on grilled farmed sturgeon in Gyumri, and trekked across the wonders of Cappadocia.

Eric was always there to help, if needed. When Turkish Airlines "promised" to lose my luggage (probably something was lost in translation), Eric was there to assist. When I noted that one of the hotels was spectacular, he wanted to know if there was a problem with the rest (there wasn't), when he made an error in providing some information to me that ended up costing me some additional money, he made it up to us with a free meal of equal value.

I would highly recommend Backpacker Concierge to anyone who is looking for something "more". Our tour was whatever we wanted it to be. Since our trip was customized for us and it was mostly just the two of us and a guide, we had some flexibility on a day to day basis to see more (or less), to stop where we wanted to take pictures and to experience as much of the local culture as we wanted. We toured through the Istanbul Spice Market and then got to experience a similar market in Yerevan, Armenia.

Thanks to Eric for the memories ... And showing us the places where we took 6500 pictures!

Recommended for:BackpackersFoodiesLocal CultureOutdoor Enthusiasts
  • Backpacker Concierge

We travelled as a family in mid-August, with two kids (9 and 10) to Aswan, Luxor, by train to Cairo, and the Dahab. Backpacker Concierge were absolutely fantastic. To start with we gave them a budget, and a list of things we wanted to do, and then they fixed everything, including adding a few suggestions that we hadn;t thought of. The communication before travelling was great, and the simple provision of a mobile phone made contact with our guides, and drivers very simple, and everything that might have made a traveller tense was dealt with efficiently, and smoothly. All the venues that were chosen for us were fabulous - pools on the banks of the Nile, great views, lovely food, excellent service. We particularly enjoyed the Sheraton in Luxor, and the Langchamps in Cairo, which was a particularly stylish and convenient place to stay. Le Meridien in Dahab was a wonderful place to relax at the end of it all. All transfers were efficient and smooth. Our inward flight was delayed, and all our plans were rearranged accordingly before we even checked. The guides provided were excellent - knowledgeable and good with the kids. Every detail that we could have thought of and more was attended to wonderfully.

People had told us that we shouldn't travel at this time, because of the tension in Egypt. Eric from Backpacker Concierge gave excellent advice, and because the guides had such good local knowledge we always felt that sensible decisions were made about safety. We had a lovely time.

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersFamily TravelersLocal CultureBackpackers
  • Backpacker Concierge

My boyfriend & I travelled to Egypt for two weeks- we started in Aswan, took a felucca up to Luxor, and then took a jeep safari through the desert up to Cairo. Our trip was truly something I will never forget. I cannot thank Eric enough for putting together such a wonderful experience for us. When you travel to another country it is so hard to feel like you are connected with it. Many times you bounce from one tourist site to another and when you leave it feels like you somehow missed the whole thing. Egypt has so many beautiful temples and we certainty did see a lot of them, but what Backpacker Concierge is truly exceptional at doing is getting us in contact with real Egyptians who were so incredibly hospitable and eager to share their home with us. The things that they were able to set us up with (such as having a dinner in an Egyptian home, riding bikes through sugarcane fields) are only things that someone who has lived in Egypt and knows people can connect you with. We did all the must-see tourist stuff, but I also left Egypt feeling like I had really met people & learned something new about the world.

Our guides were exceptional: Mustafa (whose English is better then mine!) that gave our tour of the massive Karnak temple a solemn dignity, Hussam, our guide for our Western Desert tour who never failed to miss tea time and answered all of our constant questions not just about the sites but about Egyptian culture and politics as well, Maryanne who shared her beautiful horses with us and took us on a gallop past the Sakkara pyramids, our wonderful felucca captain, Nubian cameleers, and so many more! Our lodgings were great- it was the perfect balance of authentic, economic, and splurge at the end of the trip when we were more tired.

The level of service and attention that you get is really astounding for a very reasonable price point. I think probably the best vote of my confidence though is that I will not hesitate to contact them first when it comes to planning our next trip to Nepal! Hope it's soon!

• Backpacker Concierge

I honestly cannot say enough good things about Backpacker Concierge. Before touring Egypt with them, every tour company I had ever used was impersonal and average. Backpacker Concierge made me a complete fan of using tour companies. We went to Egypt with a group of 18 or so (rather picky) young adults. From the moment we started planning the trip with them, I should have known it would be a great experience. They communicated clearly, they tweaked and changed our tour itinerary to meet our requests and needs, and made sure we were completely prepared for our trip. They patiently answered the questions coming in from all of our friends and once we got there it was no different.

I felt completely taken care of as we traveled throughout Egypt with them. Even when the organized/formal parts of the day were over, Eric and Jaymie continued to take care of us. If we wanted to do more activities at night, they would arrange for our additional transportation and tickets. Every time we arrived in a new city or area, they would give us a thorough preview of what to expect, what tourist tricks not to fall for, what we should be paying for things, etc. Honestly, I can't believe they manage to give this level of service to all their customers, but based on every person I have talked to who has traveled through Egypt or Jordan with them - they do! And I should add that they do all this at an amazingly reasonable price for the level of service they provide. They also have access to help plan a variety of options depending on what you're interested in. In a single trip, we went sandboarding in the Egyptian desert, visited an area where enterprising Egyptians are creating their own recycling and garbage system, and still did all the activities you go to Egypt to do like visit the pyramids and the museums.

If you are going to Egypt or Jordan - do yourself a favor and call Backpacker Concierge. They are amazing - I personally guarantee you won't regret it!

Dear Eric,
    I need to let you know how fantastic your service has truly been.

You were with us every step of the way, whether it was your partners or a phone call. Your service provide my family and I with a feeling of security and comfort every step of the way. Every one of your partners were professional, personable, and fun to be with. For us, important highlights were the experiences with the actual people within their living environments, such as the meal on the felucca cooked by Looli, meeting Looli's family, eating at their home, and our time at the camel school camp with Mohammed, his family and Gordon. The backpacker concierge concept provides for truly special and unique experiences.

We found backpackerconcierge.com on the web, and therefore we were worried about paying 100% up front without further assurances. You subsequently provided referrals that all replied with the highest level of praise. Thanks for being patient with us in this period of uncertainty. And, in particular, we all thank you and your partners for a happy and memorable experience.

Shine on
    Paul

• Backpacker Concierge

My 11 yr. old daughter and I just finished a 12-day trip to Egypt and I enthusiastically second everything said by the previous reviewers! I was referred to Backpacker Concierge through an inquiry I made to someone else while looking on the internet for different things to do in Egypt. I contacted Eric with questions about Upper Egypt and ultimately used him to make all our in-Egypt arrangements. What Backpacker Concierge provided for us was a highly personalized service that allowed us set the pace and tone of our trip and see the amazing sites that made us want to go to Egypt in the first place and some different places, recommended by Eric, which actually turned out to be the highlights of our trip! You just let him know what you want to do and how you like to travel and he pulls it all together. It really works that smoothly. In a country like Egypt, having Backpacker Concierge make arrangements for us took away the stress of getting around and dealing with those blips that always arise when you travel. The private guides Eric arranged for us were fantastic! They really made the trip. They were great with my daughter and she soaked up everything they said like a sponge. What an education! Knowing that Backpacker Concierge was monitoring our travels also gave some piece of mind to family and friends who were not convinced that going to Egypt at this time, especially the two of us alone, was a good idea. A word on that - if seeing Egypt is on your list of things to do, do it now! The lack of tourist crowds at the sites far outweighs any inconveniences that come with tourism being down and we never felt unsafe for a minute - well, maybe trying to cross busy streets :).

• Backpacker Concierge

Service was very professional and responsive. Eric was very quick to respond to requests and designed a tour based on my specific needs under a very short notice. I had a very special experience in Egypt thanks to their suggestions.

• Backpacker Concierge

Eric (owner of Backpackers Concierge) organized a trip to Egypt for a group of us and it was amazing! We traveled from Cairo to Aswan via train (quite the experience), took a boat on the Nile and then went to Luxor. Eric made sure we hit all of the highlights (the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings, Luxor Temple), arranged some really unique events (Sandboarding in the desert) and took us to great traditional Egyptian restaurants.

Recommended for:Backpackers

Founded in 2008, Backpacker Concierge combines off-the-beaten track destinations with a commitment to responsible tourism and customer service. Each tour is customized and seeks to offer a window onto a local community. Travel itself can be organized via basic or luxury means.

73 people visited Backpacker Concierge