Barrio Chino

253 Broome St, New York, NY

• Barrio ChinoPro 2014
    Harold Smith-Franzen (@smithfranzen)
    5 Nov 01, 2013

This non-descript Mexican spot is one of my favorite restaurants in the city. This is the place for smoky, complex, spicy deliciousness with great drinks to wash it down. You can avoid the crowds by going at lunch but the vibe at dinner is worth the wait. Come early and linger or put your name in and grab a coffee next door. Parties of 6 or more can reserve.

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal CultureNightlife LoversTrendsters
    Mimsie Lemar
    5 Jul 30, 2013

In a city that has countless restaurants I consider Barrio Chino one of my favorite. I find myself excited to go there every time I do... Great guacamole, Sopa Azateca is my very most favorite Mexican soup, and there Margarita's are out of this world ... especially the Jalapeno one! It is a small cozy restaurant that is sure to please!

Koren Leslie Cohen
    5 Mar 11, 2013

Barrio Chino is a small hole-in-the-wall-ish Mexican restaurant on the Lower East Side. The food is really good as are the drinks (esp the Sangria). Anyone who has been here will tell you it's a must try in the LES.

Ellen Ema
    5 Feb 11, 2013

I've never really gone at a time where it was so packed, I usually get there just before the rush (11:45am) this place is great for drinks and food.

You must get their chips & guac. even the salsa is really something else. The chips have got to be fried back there it is always so crispy and doesn't taste too oily.

I love their beer selection and their margarita selection. The very last time I enjoyed their strawberry mojito. Great place to go when you're craving mexican.

Vincent Roazzi Jr.
    4 Aug 28, 2012

Mexican: this is my favorite Mexican restaurant in NYC. You did not come to NYC for Mexican but if that's what's on your mind check this place out. No sign, so you'll have to rely on the address. Very casual, very chill, mostly locals and a very small space brightly lit from large open windows facing the street. I come for the food and it’s far better than the Mexican restaurants I’ve tried so far (Papatzul, Dos Caminos, Rosa Mexicano, La Esquina -yes downstairs too-). They have a spicy habanero cocktail that’s almost addictive. Great for a couple friends before a night out (no more than 4 though, it's a small place). Reservations not accepted. Medium-priced. I also recommend Mexican at Mayahuel if you are looking for more of a dim-lit intimate atmosphere hidden behind a big wooden door on a side street.

Luke Maffei

I loved this place. Yeah, arguably it's nothing special, but I'd love to live near it. I immediately got the feeling like this was a place I could run into people I know or just sit for a couple hours in the afternoon.

We were there between meal times so only ordered guacamole and drinks, but loved everything.

I did have a grapefruit margarita and it was fantastic, but I liked the tamarind more and I suspect the real gems here are down amongst their list of mojitos.

The guacamole is the best I've had in New York , which means it's not bad. Sorry NY, you'll never dazzle Californians with guacamole, chips, and salsa. But what was great was the portion. I could make an awesome Saturday lunch just with some chips and guac and a refreshing drink.

Dev Pathi