Basic Pizza & Bar

410 10th Ave, San Diego, CA

• Basic Pizza & BarAmbassadorPro 2014
    Becky Mahan
    5 Feb 20, 2014

Absolutely divine pizza. I had never even heard of this place before I went, but at the recommendation of the bartender at our pre-dinner cocktail bar (plus the GPS food locator on my phone), we headed in on a Friday night. We got there around 7pm and had to wait about 15 minutes for a table, but the bouncers outside (guarding the bar side of the two-part restaurant) were friendly and engaging. We people-watched on 10th Ave (trust me, it's entertaining) and then got called in.

They have a simple menu: choose your "base pie" and then add your toppings. We opted for the "white pie" which consisted of parmesan, garlic, olive oil, and mozzarella - and ordered a large to split, sans toppings. There were only two of us, and despite us being hungry (and one of us being a 6' ravenous man), we couldn't finish the entire thing. The crust is thin and homemade, and the proportion of cheese and sauce was just perfect for my tastebuds (not too saucy, not goopy and cheesy). Definitely one of the best pizzas I've ever had.

Aside from the delicious food, the ambience of the place is fun - it's housed in a warehouse, with visible beams and a "rough" and somewhat darkened interior, completely sided by windows for natural light and for watching the outside streets. And my favorite part was the cocktails served in 16 oz. mason jars.

Recommended for:BackpackersFoodiesStudents
  • Basic Pizza & Bar
    Janey Canuck
    4 Feb 23, 2014

My baseline for a pizza place is always a marguerita. If you can't do that right, you can't do any anything right. Well, the marguerita was done right. Wood fired thin crust was great, the basil was nice though the tomatoes weren't the best. I'd definitely come back.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersVegetarianFoodies
  • Basic Pizza & Bar
    Corey Hart
    4 Nov 22, 2012

In East Village... this is my place. $5 mason jar vodka drinks and free pizza for happy hour. Nuf said!

Love the huge interior. Open to the sidewalk. And the huge, large format pizzas that match the vastness of the space.

Never been here when it's crazy, but I hear there's lines to get in, people shouting at the bouncer, rowdiness, and bumpin' tunes when it comes to Padres and warm summer nights. Can't wait!

7 people visited Basic Pizza & Bar