Bestia

2121 East 7th Place, Los Angeles, California

Hanae
    4 Jul 19, 2014

My friends took me here for my birthday. Didn't realize how popular this place is because it wasn't easy making a reservation at 7pm unless it's weeks in advance.

Bestia is located in a location that looks a bit sketchy. The entrance and valet is located in the lit alley. If you want to save money on parking then there's street parking.

The interior is very industrial-hipster. SUPER crowded. Reservation is highly recommended. They have few seats at the bar for walkins but a lot of people will lounge around for that.

::Memorable dish for me::
    :Bone marrow: my very first bone marrow! It came with spinach gnochi instead of bread.Very flavorful.
    :Beef cheeks pasta: the menu didn't mention they're topped with peanuts. Hopefully they fixed that.
    :Beef heart tar tar: very savory
    :coffee donuts: popular dessert, I liked it :) especially with the home made whip cream.

Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury TravelersNightlife Lovers
    Danny Nguyễn
    5 Jul 11, 2014

I have been trying to get reservations for this place for a million months, finally I got it!!! There is lots of available street parking and also valet if you want. The place is right in the art district and where people live. Right when you walk in you see a small patio area and then when you're inside, you can smell the delicious food being cooked. I like how the place has a nice view of what the chefs are up to. You see them prepping your food and the bar is a very nice place too. The service is excellent!

Now onto the food. Our first dish was the grilled octopus and calamari, I liked the grilled octopus. The pieces of grilled octopus were a little burnt and it brought out a nice charcoal flavor to it. We got the mussels and clams next. HEAVEN in a bowl of seafood! The sauce that is used was sooo good, I recommend you dip your pieces of bread into that sauce. Soo sooo soooo good! You can taste every ingredient or spice that they use in their dish. Our final dish was the Cavatelli alla Norcina. I thought this dish was pretty expensive for just a small portion of pasta, but it was pretty good. I wish they would've gave us a bigger portion for what we paid.

AND DRUM ROLL, the main event I was waiting for... COFFEE AND DONUTS! Boy did it not disappoint! The zeppole was amazing, you can taste the strong taste of cinnamon and if you dip it in the coffee ice cream, it is heavenly!

This would be a great place to take on a date, but also it wouldn't be a great place to take a date. Its great for the food and the fact that you can share the dishes. But it can get pretty noisy with all the conversations going on and the loud music, but definitely a place I would love to come back and try their other dishes that they have t offer! BESTIA see you again!

Sven Mede
    5 May 12, 2014

The restaurant has a great location in the Art District in Downtown LA. The open kitchen, wood burning pizza oven, and packed bar create a great atmosphere for guests. The cocktail menu is also excellent; my favorite cocktail is the Chef’s Old Fashioned. I love the Antipasti and the Grilled Lamb Heart is perfect. Save room for the Crème Fraîche Panna Cotta.

Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury Travelers
    Pam Ella
    4 Jul 11, 2014

"Difficult to get reservations"?
    "In a sketchy part of town"?
    "4.5 stars on Yelp"?
    "Latest, trendiest restaurant in Downtown LA"?
    TAKE ME THERE!

(3.5/5) Alla'nduja: housemade spicy 'nduja. san marzano tomatoes. mozzarella. wild arugula. $17
    Pizza was just a tad bit soggy, I had to fold the pizza slice in half to keep all the toppings from sliding off.

(5/5) Jerusalem Artichoke Soup: fermented chilies. oregano. fried capers. $9
    Interestingly sweet! Tasted like mushroom soup and the occasional caper added more to the flavor.

(3.5/5) Kale: caper-anchovy vinaigrette. purple kale. endive. pecorino toscano. breadcrumbs. $11

(3.5/5) Pan-Seared Octopus & Calamari: fennel. mixed mushrooms. arugula. aged balsamic. $16

(4/5) Beef Meatballs. braised beet greens. soffritto. tomato. $13

(4/5) Roasted Marrow Bone: spinach gnocchetti. dehydrated olives. crispy breadcrumbs. aged balsamic. $14

(4/5) The Cavatelli alla Norcina: ricotta dumplings. housemade pork sausage. black truffles. grana padano. $27
    I love anything with truffles so I had to order this. It had an overwhelmingly rich flavor of black truffles so I couldn't take more than a few bites, but still good!

(??) Grilled Half Hen: stewed cannellini & christmas lima beans. chicken liver crostino. $23
    Too stuffed and took this home instead.

Cons:
    -SO LOUD! Louder than a DimSum joint, and I'm Chinese. Don't expect a romantic date here.
    -no complimentary bread while waiting for your food
    -Dishes were brought out one at a time and only after the prior dish was finished, which I thought was odd. What if we didn't all want to eat family style or what if someone is opting out of a dish?

Tips:
    -Valet for $6
    -Go in a party of 4 so you can sample various dishes, most of the tables are designed for 4 as well. If you must go in a party of 2 you might like the pizza bar over the tables. The 2-seat tables are tiny, in fact one of them was in the corner in sandwiched between a wall and the cash register, awkward?
    -Some menu items are seasonal such as the Artichoke & Cardoon salad
    -Reservations are not that difficult to get as long if you are flexible with time. A reservation open at 6pm on a Saturday when I called in the day before. However when I booked 2 weeks in advance for a Tuesday there was only an 8:45pm slot open.

Overall I felt that my expectations were a bit high for this restaurant with all the hype surrounding it, but I would come again to try other things on the menu and try sitting at the pizza bar next time to watch the chefs at work. I would order the Jerusalem Artichoke Soup again!

Recommended for:FoodiesTrendsters
    Re becca
    3 Apr 15, 2014

Everything about this place was just cute! from the location to the decor - the rustic and industrial feel just reminds you how people LOVE hipsters!
    I digress,
    The location of our table was right at the corner so we were often forgotten..our waters were not constantly full, in fact plenty of times we had to chase down a server to satisfy our thirst!
    The food though was ahhhmazzinngg...Test Kitchen did not disappoint ! Everyone loved the Bone marrow and they were able to make simple beans taste magic! So much flavor was put into it that i licked the bowl clean!

I was disappointed that the waitress, Mel was so frazzled. Perhaps it was the lack of help and the packed house but she completely forgot to put in my entree. When i asked for suggestions in the beginning for a good appetizer dish she kept bringing me back to the entree! I thought it was a bit odd... maybe she hadn't been there long but that was probably what cost this place and extra STAR !

regardless, she did however treated me with a dessert for forgetting to put in my order. Desserts we got the Bittersweet Chocolate and the rice pudding both to me was just okay but my friends loved it!

Btw- i really loved their mixologist, they were able to concoct whatever i wanted! I personally love drinks with a kick and so always opt for anything ginger and they made two delicious drinks for me. As for my gfs though - were not as impress.

Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury Travelers
    Jean Rhee
    5 Apr 04, 2013

There's no question about it: Bestia is the bestest, or at least a close contender for that title along with the likes of Baco Mercat. Although it is somewhat out of the way in an as-yet dubious part of downtown, it more than makes up for this in other regards. The space is open and inviting, with tall ceilings and roll-up garage-door style windows. The service was friendly and attentive despite that the place was packed. And the food was mouthwateringly good. About 50/50 on the inventive small plates and larger dishes like pizzas with perfectly crispy/soft crusts, pastas and the enormous bone-in lamb chop that we picked clean. Due to Lent, I was unable to partake in dessert, but if the fact that the other 4 people in my party were able to inhale 4 desserts in the 5 minutes that it took me to go wash my hands is any indication, the dessert was just as good as the rest of apps and mains. I can't wait to go again.

Yulree Chun "@GogobotLA"
    5 Jul 11, 2014

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness. This place has major hype for a reason. It is THAT good. Service is excellent, the place itself is a beaut and THE FOOD!!!!

I'm sure you can't go wrong with anything on the entire menu, but I highly recommend the following: pan-seared octopus and calamari (the octopus is so tender, they melt in your mouth!), the chef's cured meats platter (that's one of the things their known for), bone marrow with gnocchetti (best preparation of bone marrow I've ever had), riccotta dumpling with house made sausage (my favorite dish of the night, even though it's really hard to choose) and suckling pig (meat falls off the bone!). As for dessert, the blood orange sorbet with the pine nut brown sugar meringue really stood out!

Jennifer N.
    5 Mar 28, 2013

Bestia is located in a not so good part of Downtown LA, where the streets are always damaged with deep pot holes, one or two homeless guys lingering around the street, In an industrial warehouse neighborhood where it's surrounded by industrial warehouses and an upscale apartment building. It's seems like the new trendy restaurants are opening more and more in neighborhood like this these days. Valet Parking is $6.

Stephanie, our waitress was so friendly, it just seems like we knew her forever already.
    Her service was outstanding as her recommendations on the food too!

We started out with an appetizer. To me it was the best dish of the night!

PAN SEARED OCTOPUS AND CALAMARI!! It was pan seared tangy lime dressing with a light char burnt taste. The Octopus and scallop was tender, not too chewy and yet not too soggy.

SALAMI PIZZA- salami. ricotta., brussels sprouts. bread crumbs. Naan like crust a light dough in a big fluffy crust. with a little bit burnt from the oven. It's baked with white sauce and it's very unique and not like any pizza we've ever tasted before.

RIGATONI POMODORO- rigatoni. tomato sauce. fresh ricotta. basil oil. A little bland but the ricotta added a kick to it.

** You should check out their menu before you go. They change their menus daily.

From the outside, the restaurant just looks like another industrial warehouse with big windows. Upon walking in, it gets more inviting but still has that contemporary feel with bricked walls and warehouse industrial ceilings, dim and warm lighting.

Grace Hsiang
    3 Dec 12, 2012

Italian restaurant in the arts district of downtown. It's a little hard to find, but is a great space once you get inside. Julian Cox, voted LA's bartender of the year in 2012, currently works here and the cocktails are delicious.

Kelly Lee
    5 Jun 04, 2014

Best food and drinks I ever had!!!

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersFoodiesLuxury TravelersNightlife Lovers