Bi-Rite Creamery

3692 18th St, San Francisco, CA 94110

3,538 people visited Bi-Rite Creamery

hangry_cho
    5 Apr 04, 2014

This spot is one of my top 5 ice cream spots of all time. Be prepared to wait in line on a cold day. And be even more prepared to wait in a long long loooonnnng line on a sunny day!

People come here rain or shine, but then again I'm one of them!

Favorite Flavors:
    - Earl Grey
    - Meyer Lemon
    - Coffee Toffee
    - Balsamic Strawberry
    - Honey Lavender (it's definitely an acquired taste)

They have something here for everyone! And I love that they only use the freshest and most simple ingredients. Cheers to that!

Recommended for:FoodiesTrendsters
  • Bi-Rite Creamery
    Jaime Lehman
    5 Mar 28, 2014

The quintessential trip to the most beloved ice cream parlor in San Francisco - ask anyone and they'll tell you Bi-Rite. Are there better places? Probably. Shorter lines with the most reasonably compared? Absolutely.

Does that mean I'm going to go there instead of here? No.

Crazy flavors done with perfection...sounds like San Francisco!

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal CultureTrendstersVegetarian
    Alice Ly
    4 Mar 27, 2014

I was expecting a line to wrap around the block but when we went (around noon on a Sunday) it was only a 10 minute wait! :)

I tried Honey Lavender, Salted Caramel, Roasted Banana, and Earl Grey before I felt bad in holding up the line.

Ended up getting a cup of Roasted Banana and Honey Lavender.

I LOOVE banana ice cream and I liked that this had a smokier flavor. It definitely surpassed the Honey Lavender, so I should've just gotten a full cup of banana :P

The prices are pretty reasonable, but I don't feel it's a MUST-GO if you're an out-of-towner like me. I've tried it once, enjoyed it, and now moving on. However if you're in the area, and there's no line, then it's a great dessert option. Especially since it's so close to the Dolores/Helen Diller park!

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFamily TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
    Natalie K
    5 Mar 27, 2014

I opted for Salted Caramel and Malted Vanilla for my regular order which comes with 2 scoops. After taking a bite of both, I immediately regretted getting the Salted Caramel. Don't get me wrong, it's good but the Malted Vanilla really stole the show. I could have eaten a pint of the Malted Vanilla in one sitting.

Don't get confused by the other Bi-Rite, which is a grocery store. The right one is smaller and has a line outside. There really isn't any place to sit inside since space is limited and it's crowded. We took our ice cream and went down the block to a shaded spot to have it.

They have some unique flavors. I tasted the honey lavender, the earl grey, and the banana. All were good but seriously, forget about all of that and just get the Malted Vanilla! It's seriously one of the best ice cream I've ever had.

There is another store front next to them with different hours but it's part of the Bi-Rite. We went on a Sunday and they didn't open till 11am. This portion serves soft serve ice cream only. I didn't get a chance to try it but it definitely looks interesting.

Owie
    4 Mar 22, 2014

Wow, is this place a club? No no no, it's an ice cream joint that have people waiting wrapping around the building just to get some ice cream goodness!

Reasons why this place is awesome:

1) Best Salted Carmel and Roasted Banana ice cream flavors

2) Best service

3) Best tasting utensil ( using real spoon is always a plus!)

4) Best location

5) Best topping ( especially marcona almonds)

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodiesLocal CultureNightlife Lovers
  • Bi-Rite CreameryCommunity ManagerPro 2014
    Audrey Lo "@GogobotAudrey"
    5 Feb 06, 2014

One of the most incredible ice cream shops in SF. The flavors are so unique. I had salted caramel, lavender honey and earl grey were my favorite flavors. The line is always pretty long, but worth the wait!

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal CultureTrendsters
    Rhia R.
    5 Feb 13, 2014

Sunday afternoon with no plans called for a impromptu day around SF for myself and a couple of buds. The line was small and moved at a good pace, so we were inside in only a few minutes. Salted Caramel and Roasted Banana were my choices, although I asked to sample the Balsamic Strawberry before placing my order. I plowed through the cone and two scoops of ice cream in no time flat, which left me extremely tempted to fall back in the still surprisingly short line and grab another one. Salted Caramel had a good balance of sweet and savory. My friend thought it was nasty. Are you serious, woman?! I suppose it's an acquired taste for some, but most will agree that it's pretty damn good. That with Roasted Banana made for probably the best ice cream combo I ever had. No joke. Now that I think about it, the two flavors remind me of Bananas Foster, sans the need for a stove. This place is legit, so I'm putting 5 (stars) on it.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFamily TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
    Irene Yu
    5 Feb 08, 2014

We marked our map to enjoy some ice cream near Dolores Park, but neglected to write down what shop to hit up! So I decided to track down the most local-looking person to ask. Yes, I'm ballz like that :)

Me: *chasing a cute couple before they cross the street* Excuse me!
    Couple: *turns around looking extremely puzzled*
    Me: What's the best ice cream shop around here?
    Couple: Oh Bi-Rite definitely.
    Me: Awesome! Where is it?
    Couple: Oh just... cross the street and stand in that line over there.

I think it's no coincidence that the most popular creamery was only footsteps away. Though the long line that wrapped around the corner of the street likely would have been a green light on deliciousness! They're also very generous with samples which is a huge plus. After sampling 3 or 4 flavors my cousin and I decided to split a 2 scoop order. We decided to indulge in Brown Sugar and the critically acclaimed Salted Caramel. Both were delicious though the Brown Sugar was the winner in my book.

A great spot to treat your taste buds to a childhood classic and be sure to enjoy it at the park!

Recommended for:Local CultureStudentsTrendsters
  • Bi-Rite Creamery
    Ken
    5 Jan 29, 2014

No discussion of San Francisco ice cream is ever complete without mentioning and actually visiting Bi Rite Creamery. The signature sea salt caramel is of course a must try, but once you get past that, there are quite a few really excellent flavors worth trying, such as roasted banana, honey lavender, and even the ginger ice cream (which screams of the Macau Cantonese steamed egg or milk custard in ginger juice dessert). With skyrocketing parking rates in the area, this gets to be pretty expensive ice cream, but there's nothing else like it.

• Bi-Rite CreameryAmbassadorPro 2014
    Kat Sun
    4 Dec 03, 2013

Oh wow, yum! Don't come on the weekend!!!! I finally had an opportunity to come on a Friday night after dinner and the line was not bad -- 10min! I've passed up stopping on a couple occasions when I was in the area on the weekend because the line stretched to the intersection and around the corner, ugh.

The flavors are genuine and strong. Yum, so creamy too :)
    +salted caramel -- strong caramel flavor, yum!
    +ricanelas -- has snicker doodle pieces inside
    +lavender honey -- strong lavender flavor
    + I LOVE that they let you get two flavors with your single cup/cone :D

Description:

While their salted caramel ice cream is the full-fat dairy product of legend, this ice cream shop's got dozens of flavors from similarly exotic (chai-spiced milk chocolate or cinnamon with snickerdoodles) to comfortingly recognizable (cookies and cream, toasted coconut). Be ready to wait in line, as there almost always is one, especially on warm days. Walk across the street and you'll reach Dolores Park, the hipster epicenter of San Francisco.

Hotels Near Bi-Rite Creamery