Biker Jim's Gourmet Dogs

2148 Larimer Street, Denver, CO 80205-2017, United States
Rattlesnake and pheasant dog with wasabi aioli caramelized apple and shredded Irish cheddar: courtesy of In The Know Travel

• Biker Jim's Gourmet DogsAmbassador

I like to follow in Anthony Bourdain's footsteps when visiting a new city, so I had to check out Biker Jim's sausages. The restaurant is on a fun and funky stretch of Larimer and is not huge, but not too small. I was almost overwhelmed by all the choices of sausage- decisions, decisions. I wish they offered some sort of tasting/mixed plate with small samples of 3 or 4 different sausages and toppings. They are too pricey and filling to get more than one, unless you are famished. After much deliberation, I chose the Alaskan Reindeer sausage and the International topping: wasabi aioli, caramelized apple, and shaved Irish Cheddar. Smart move: they offer their sides in Half or Whole servings, so I tried a half side of Fried Green Tomatoes. I opted for water, but they do have a full bar and offer local beers as well as some funky cocktails, for reasonable prices. My friend and I grabbed a table, and our food was soon delivered to us.

My sausage was good, and the toppings were tasty, but I think I was a tad "underwhelmed". First of all, I can't say the sausage tasted much different from your average bratwurst, etc.. I also disliked how tough the casing was on the sausage. It was hard for me to bite through it and not pull the whole thing out of the bun. The bread was also a bit too moist and soft, so it sticks to your teeth when you bite into it. But the Fried Green Tomatoes were excellent. A half portion gets you three big slices and they had good seasoning in the breading, with a hint of spice. I also like the condiment bar. I tried the Curry Ketchup and quite enjoyed it. I will say that my food was quite filling and I did end up taking at least a third of my dog home. I would still go back to try the other unusual menu items and maybe one of their cocktails.

• Biker Jim's Gourmet Dogs

Denver's answer to Hot Doug's (Chicago), they have some seriously crazy wieners here for a fraction of the price you'd pay anywhere else. Aside from the fab meats options (elk, bat, reindeer, etc), you get to pick an ethnic variety of toppings (international was my favorite, who can go wrong with wasabi?). The duck was a little underwhelming, but the elk/cheddar...yum. And don't miss the fried mac and cheese bites doused in cumin, definitely cravable.

• Biker Jim's Gourmet Dogs

Legend has it, Biker Jim was once a repo man who decided to ditch his career with cars and live life to its capacity. Throughout his life’s feats and adventures, Biker Jim journeyed to Alaska making a friend who would soon be the catalyst for Biker Jim’s new chapter just west of the Rocky Mountains. The kindred soul, all the way there up in Alaska, sold not just the classic frankfurter, but ones with so much character and ingenuity that the animals around ran for the hills in fear of being turned into a sausage. But they just didn’t make it. There after, a hotdog cart was opened and subsequently a restaurant to display these delicious dogs to the hip, organic, foodie loving area named Denver.

• Biker Jim's Gourmet Dogs

Before opening the restaurant, owner Jim Pittenger (a.k.a Biker Jim) was selling sausages from a curbside cart. His fame grew and he decided to open a small restaurant in the Five Points neighborhood. Today, locals flock to Biker Jim's to sample the unusual range of meat options: reindeer and wild boar, rattlesnake and pheasant, elk and antelope, yak and buffalo - all smothered with Coca Cola-soaked onions.

329 people visited Biker Jim's Gourmet Dogs