Blockheads Shavery Company

11311 Mississippi Avenue, Los Angeles, California, 90025

Hanae
    5 Nov 06, 2013

Mmmmmmm if you love the bitter-sweet green tea flavor then this place will make your taste buds jump for joy.

Finally got to try this place out because Steph Y wanted to go here for dessert. I was very impressed because I thought this would be another tasteless shaved ice place topped with condensed milk. The only reason I wanted to try is because it's super popular and the branding is so friggin adorable.

I ordered combo #2, green tea ice topped with red beans and creamy chunky mochi (rice cake, the real kind), drowned in condensed milk. I heard their Boba is really good but it was gone when we got there.

The ice had a rich taste of green tea, it was like eating green tea ice cream. I love it when there's a subtle bitter taste to it. I didn't really like the big mochi because they weren't sweet. They tasted great with red beans but I was getting full so I didn't eat most of them.

I can't wait to come back and try their other flavors (cash only).

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFamily TravelersFoodiesStudents
  • Blockheads Shavery CompanyAmbassadorPro 2014
    Kat Sun
    5 Nov 17, 2013

Delicious shaved snow in West LA! They're definitely one of the shops bringing life back to the Sawtelle area. And of course, most of the people that come to the area are UCLA students...haha

Recommended for:Family TravelersFoodies
  • Blockheads Shavery CompanyCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014
    Audrey Lo "@GogobotAudrey"
    4 Mar 31, 2014

Delicious new shaved ice spot in little Osaka. Love the green tea shaved I've combo with rice cakes and condensed milk! Yum!

Recommended for:Business TravelersFamily TravelersFoodiesTrendsters
    Irene Yu
    4 Jan 03, 2014

Ice ice baby! I thought this day would never come! A day where I didn't have to travel thousands of miles to Taiwn to indulge in snow ice! I had the pleasant opportunity to snack on one of these bad boys with a girlfriend and enjoyed every last bite of the creamy icy treat. The portions are generous and the price was reasonable considering size and deliciousness.

Their fruit wasn't very sweet, hence the docked star, but select any other toppings and you'll have a magical experience. I recommend any of the traditional toppings ie. grass jelly, pudding, red bean) as the bold flavors combined with the creamy milk texture will make for a rich decadent dessert.

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal CultureStudentsTrendsters
    Danny Nguyễn
    3 Jun 05, 2014

The black sesame was pretty good! Don't forget to yelp check in for a free topping! The prices are okay, I do believe Salju is better and also has more choices of flavors!

Jennifer H
    3 Mar 26, 2014

I really don't get what's the crazy long lines here is all about over the weekends because I came here on a weekday (smart me, pat pat) and I think it was alright.

Came here on the weekday after having dinner with the boyfriend and I told him that I want to try Blockheads Shavery since there's like a zillion reviews about this place.

Got in line. Only had like 4 people ahead of us so wasn't too bad. Got something simple, the green tea shaved snow with grass jelly and red beans. Tastes pretty good. After a couple of bites, man, we were dying from the sweet! We got the regular and we felt like we were struggling on it. I guess next time we need another two more people to share this regular.

They serve regular and large. The large one is humongous...I saw 5-6 people were sharing it. They do pile it up with the snow then squishes it down with the toppings.

Maybe you all should try out the black sesame shaved snow for a change since many shaved ice places serve green tea now.

Tran Do
    4 Feb 25, 2014

What's not ice cream nor yogurt, but is as unique as a snow flake? It's like biting into a fluffy cold cloud that's strawberry, chocolate, or coffee flavored. You'll just have to float in and experience the taste for yourself. Did it mention you can add toppings of cookies ?

King Kevin the VII
    4 Apr 25, 2013

Ice Ice baby! I know dudes aren't allowed to use the words cute to describe anything besides girls but the use of penguins and owls here are really cute. XD.

I just parked in the neighborhood next door and decided to walk in. From the outside, the store wall calling me in with the big googly penguin eyes! Inside, it's a relatively simple design. They have a number of metal tables and chairs. The walls are decorated with pictures of chibi penguins and owls. Pretty darn cute. XD

For $4, my sister ordered green tea shaved ice with mochi with condensed milk drizzle. The regular we ordered was huge! It was really good as well, the texture and the way the shaved snow just melted in your mouth. Additionally, the taste wasn't overly sweet. It's not as good as Class 302, but at least there's no crazy one hour line.

Overall, great shaved snow for a relatively low price considering how large the portions are here. Only draw back is CASH ONLY!

Steph Chen
    3 Mar 20, 2013

Good flavors and generous portions. Be sure to finish your shaved ice before it melts! It's not so good when it becomes soup (which happens quickly)... so nibble quickly or share with a friend. :)

Betty N.
    4 Mar 12, 2013

**DELICIOUS TAIWANESE SHAVED ICE**

I've eaten here twice already and I like it.

A LOT.

PARKING
    ========
    No issue on weeknights, but horrible during lunch times.

AMBIANCE
    =========
    Lofty, but not spacious.
    You may have to wait for a table indoors.
    Not too many tables.

ORDERS
    ========
    I've tried the ORIGINAL flavor and it was bland.
    I loved the STRAWBERRY!
    Added some condensed milk and coconut and it tasted SUPERB.

Portions are generous. You can share a small.

Service was quick and friendly.

Note: Cash Only.

OVERALL
    ========
    RECOMMEND!

Mary Q.
    5 Feb 26, 2013

Snow cream, as they call it, is FANTASTIC. Make it a snack, make it your dessert, or hey just make it your meal! This wonderfully fluffy, soft, creamy sweet treat is sure to satisfy. I recommend getting half and half with the original and strawberry or green tea. Nom! Be sure to try out their rice cakes made in-house too! They now have a frequent buyer card, so be sure to ask for that to earn a free one after 10 stamps.

• Blockheads Shavery CompanyAmbassadorPro 2014
    Sandra Waring
    4 Feb 24, 2013

Whew, this place is super popular on a hot day. I really like the consistency of the shaved flavored ice...the kind I had that day was green tea. A few mochi balls, red beans, condensed milk - got to eat it quickly though, or it soon turns into green tea soup.

Jessica Y.
    4 Feb 02, 2013

Cash only!

1. Strawberry Ice - that Class 302/Taiwanese-style shaved ice with a milky strawberry consistency and flavor.. this is by far my favorite ice.

2. RICE BALLS - not mochi. The rice balls are bigger, chewier, and softer as opposed to their firm, floury mochi (not a fan of tough mochi).

3. Strawberries
    4. Grass Jelly
    5. Honey Boba
    (all self-explanatory and complementary to the strawberry ice)

I also recommend the original and the green tea ice. The black sesame everyone talks about, in my opinion, is one of the weirder tasting ones. It's okay by itself, but doesn't really match any of the toppings.

Solid shaved ice joint without having to travel to Rowland Heights (Class 302) or the dreaded I.E, haAy

Jin Yoo-Kim
    5 Dec 05, 2012

what's better than shaved ice? shaved ice that comes out in thin sheets and it is ribbonified and it is creamy and flavored. i am not making any sense. you have to try it. also, the portions are gigantic. it's definitely shareable and try not to get too many sweet toppings because the ice itself is already sweet. so good and right next to seoul sausage!

Steven C
    2 Nov 01, 2012

Snow ice very similar to Class 302 but not packing near the flavor or toppings. It's like a watered down Pinkberry version of 302. Green tea one in particular is pretty bland.

May W
    2 Oct 25, 2012

I was pretty disappointed with the Black Sesame flavored shaved ice. It tasted nothing like the real stuff. The texture was kind of like good ice cream, but there was barely any flavor. My friend and I split a regular and it tasted mainly of Oreo cookies. The mochi balls were a nice contrast to the smoothness of the shaved ice. The coconut puree tasted kind of gross. The regular was only $4.50, but yeah...wish I didn't get it!

Mmarthie
    5 Oct 20, 2012

Green tea magic!

When I first saw how big it was (regular size) I thought I wouldn't be able to handle it. Boy was I wrong. Flavored shaved ice here is smooth, light, and literally sheets of magic melting in your mouth. It's ice but it's so creamy! I honestly might have been able to handle a large size.

So what did I end up getting for a regular size? Green tea shaved yummy ice topped with red bean (one of my favorite things to eat ever) with some mochi. SOOO good. I was so sad when I took my last bite because I wanted more.

Now I fully understand this blockheads craze going on in the west side. If only I lived closer, I'd be frequenting this place. Or perhaps Blockheads should just open more locations!

vivian lin
    3 Sep 20, 2012

service is good, and the place is nice and clean. i just couldn't really get into the consistency of the "shaved ice." it's not creamy like ice cream, and not refreshing and crisp like shaved ice. i dont know what this is!! its kind of driving me nuts, actually. i got the black sesame with toffee crunch and coconut drizzle.

Geng Wang
    4 Aug 28, 2012

Huge portions! This isn't just shaved ice...this is shaved SNOW. Super fluffy and soft, it is a million times better! Be sure to try that condense milk, it's super nommy

Helene Vo
    4 Aug 24, 2012

I like it! Their shaved ice is particularly good! Affordable prices. For some reason, this place gets really crowded at night after dinner time.

1,053 people visited Blockheads Shavery Company