Hi Gogobotters! We’re hiring! We have two internship positions opening March 4, 2013. We will announce the internship to the general public on Tuesday, January 29, 2013, but if you’re an active Gogobot member, we encourage you to apply early.
Do you love to travel? Do you appreciate the benefit of social media? Are you comfortable navigating around a website?
Do your friends come to you when they need a recommendation for the most romantic hotel in Paris, the best surfing beach in Costa Rica or the coolest art gallery in Tokyo?
As a travel social media website, Gogobot is dedicated to making trip planning almost as fun as the travel itself. You might be a perfect fit for us if you:
- Love social media and the idea of sharing knowledge almost as much as you love travel and learning about the world
- Expertly know your way around a website or possibly even behind a web page
- Have the ability to work on a variety of editorial and technical tasks, research efficiently and write extremely quickly
- Use impeccable grammar and spelling, as you’ll be helping us build a database where one tiny error might mean you’ve just added the new city of San Francicso
- Know at least 5-10 travel destinations well, especially: The American South (New Orleans or Memphis is a plus), Eastern Europe, the South Pacific, the Caribbean, Germany, Tasmania, Scotland, Indonesia, Scandinavia
- A fairly strong grasp of geography (seriously; we’ll test you!)
- Social media skills are a plus
- Are available approximately 20-40 hours per week, including a weekly Skype check-in Tuesday morning at 8am PST (this is flexible if our top candidates are unable to make this time)
- Send an email with the cover letter in the body of the email and an attached resume
- Include two references
- Include a run-on list of the top 5-20 destinations in which you have expertise or knowledge (feel free to expound upon the list elsewhere, but please create one run-on paragraph — with no bullet points or line breaks! — we can cut and paste into a spreadsheet cell)
- Send us your Gogobot profile, if you have one
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Editorial Internship Application” in the subject line.
Our next internship period starts Monday, March 4, 2013 and ends Friday, September 6, 2013. We will interview candidates starting February 11th in person in London, San Francisco or over Skype. The internship is extremely competitive, so we’re sorry we won’t be able to get back to everyone individually. The internship pays $15/hour and you can do it from anywhere in the world as long as you can make our 8am intern meeting every Tuesday.
While we require a great deal of database and technological know-how, writing and grammatical expertise, and general support from our interns, we also commit to work in-depth with each one of you to progress your travel writing skills, should you wish. Whether you’re in the Bay Area, London or afar, our editorial staff will work with you individually on how to write a pitch or query letter, find your writer’s voice, and market yourself as a travel writer. We aim to publish a blog post from all of our interns and will work with you to develop your voice as a travel writer.