Bodhi Tree Bookstore

8585 Melrose Avenue, West Hollywood, CA, United States

• Bodhi Tree Bookstore
    Artem Doronin
    2 Oct 28, 2012

We live in interesting times. The rate of change and, by extension, growth, accelerates every day; so much so that in just ten years, we will all live in a world we would scarcely recognize today.

Bodhi Tree, is just one of many examples of this "new reality" we all live in--it closed on December 31, 2011. To say I'm sad to see it go is an understatement. I feel like what I'm writing is a Requiem more than it is a Review.

Bodhi Tree represented a community focal point and a refuge that celebrated the full spectrum of the Human Experience. If you walked in there on any given day you could read books ranging from Physics and Politics to Theosophism and Astral Projection. This isn't to say the same cannot be accomplished at other brick-and-mortar book stores, or even online, but the truth is that Bodhi Tree exposed these topics with a grace and sincerity that I have never encountered at any of the larger book stores out there and certainly not on the Internet.

I would take my dog in with me and the staff would gush over her and give her treats. There was always a complimentary pot of tea brewing and the place always smelled like... enlightenment.

Bodhi Tree was more than just a store, it was an anchor within a community. People congregated there to learn, to share, and to expand their nature. As the world changes there is so much to celebrate and infinite reasons for optimism, but all of this doesn't change the fact that I will miss the Bodhi Tree Book Store.

I hope that the 21st Century brings us back to the things that matter the most and that the pace of change is tempered with the pace of life...

1 member's review