Bottega Louie

700 S Grand Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90017

Erika World
    3 Jun 21, 2014

I'm not sure if the food lives up to the hype I've been reading about... The presentation and restaurant venue looks great but the food is not necessarily something that stood out to me! The only thing I would actually go back for would be their delicious Chocolate Souffle! For parking I would recommend reserving a spot here: http://www.parkme.com/los-angeles-parking/bottega-louie. You can reserve a spot for under 5 bux and have the spot all night. Enjoy!

Recommended for:Family TravelersLuxury TravelersTrendsters
    Yvonne Peyroux Liu
    5 Jul 09, 2014

Mmm mm yum!! Amazing food, they're famous for their pizzas and small dishes. Truffle potatoes are a must! And make sure to grab some macarons on your way out.

Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury TravelersLocal CultureTrendsters
    Re becca
    2 May 24, 2014

they skipped us by 10 people, they should really need to find a better system!

Ive been to the over hyped Bottega for now brunch, dinner and lunch and all were
    decent to say the least.

I visited bottega this past weekend with a girlfriend and i know they don't take reservation so everything is a first come first serve basis. They have a interesting system when they let you know its your turn to be seated. They write your name down and your outfit down and search for you later.
    This system may not be to incredibly effective as we were told we were to be seated in 15 minutes but ended up waiting for over 1.5. hrs!!!!! I had just about enough and went to check their booklets and noticed they skimmed over us by 7 people ( including big groups) !!
    I told them our name again and the girls looked at each other and quickly told us we were next! Irritated i let that slide and were seated, our meals actually made up for all the unnecessary waiting..I actually really enjoyed my hash brown (instead of the bread) for my eggs benedict! The waiter suggested it since they don't give you a side of hash with your benedict ( unheard of to me!) but that little compromised was actually beneficial, as i didn't want to intake that much carbs anyways !

My bloody mary was way too peppery that I barely could catch my breath! I ended up sending it back after 4 more taste, assuming that I could just take it..but I literally couldn't! Ended up ording the belini which was okay...

My gf orderd the Portobello fries ( a popular dish of theirs) to me it was way too oily and heavy! Her waffles weren't bad though with the light cream cheese - simple but a bit too pricey for something so simple.

Diane V
    4 May 13, 2014

AMBIANCE: I felt like I was in an episode of "Sex and the City" here! The ceilings are abnormally high here and it's very spacious. It's got a trendy cafe feel to it and felt like a good place to meet up with friends after a long day at work - or for brunch. The front of their store offers a variety macarons and made me feel (for a second) like I was in Paris (never mind the dirty downtown LA drag).

FOOD: The food was good; in fact everyone I asks says everything on the menu is good. I ordered the trenne, which ended up being surprisingly tasty and fresh. The bread is ok. A bit hard for my taste. I also shared a truffle mashed potatoes with my friend that I also didn't care for. It was like the potatoes hardened after sitting there more than 5 minutes, so I didn't really enjoy it. It wasn't soft at all, nor did it taste mashed by the time I ate it. I had a taste of my friend's spaghetti pomodoro and that was good also. It had a nice touch of basil and tasted basil-ly but in a good way.

SERVICE: Excellent service! Our server Sidney was very nice and had a solid attitude, well made for serving. She was also very pretty, but then again, everyone that worked here looked like they were would-be actors and actresses. The bus boys were particularly friendly and made our stay. They grated cheese for us like they were playing instruments!

OVERALL: I would come back here again. It's reasonably priced here if you get an entree, but I can see how pricey it could get if you ordered a lot of small plates, drinks, etc. I could have sat here for hours talking to my friend if the dining room didn't get so busy( we felt guilty for taking up the space on a busy night)! Overall, good experience and well worth going to Downtown LA for.

Recommended for:Trendsters
    Susan Lee
    4 Apr 26, 2014

I had heard about Bottega Louie from numerous people and had to check it out. The food is reasonably priced and quite tasty. The Portobello fries are a must try. The fries are fried with a light and crisp batter while the Portobello mushroom inside stays tender and juicy. The dipping sauce that comes with the fries is a great complement in terms of flavor and is not heavy at all. Be careful not to eat too many fries first though because they can be quite filling. Save room for the 9 different flavors of macaroons that you can pick up at the dessert counter in the front. They are not too sweet and very delicious. My personal favorites are the red one (chocolate filling) and the brown one (caramel filling). I can’t wait to go back to try more here. The only reason for 4 stars instead of 5 is because the restaurant is located downtown in what used to be a warehouse, so there is not much sound absorption. It can get very loud and difficult to hold a conversation.

Jennifer Rossini
    5 Apr 03, 2014

This place just makes me happy. The restaurant is spacious, its staff is welcoming and everything served is delicious. And if that wasn't enough, it has it's own Patisserie... with macaroons. It's my go-to place for brunch.

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal CultureLuxury TravelersTrendsters
    Hilla Hon
    4 Mar 24, 2014

First of all, I like the design of this restaurant since it's in my favorite color. It has a variety of food and drinks, bakery and desserts to choose from. I tried their French macarons on my first visit, which became my favorite dessert since then.

Vegas and Food
    5 Feb 21, 2014

I really love this place. I always get some pastries / cakes to go. I tried half of their cakes and pastries and so far I loved everything. It's not too sweet, very elegant, you can enjoy with your eyes and mouth.

Steven Lam
    5 Feb 20, 2014

Great food and service and the food is aplenty. really enjoyed it all. they have a great brunch menu and feeds you well especially providing bread. you can ask for jam and add onto it for free if you ask. they also have sparkling water provided if you want. it is complimentary.

Recommended for:FoodiesNightlife LoversLocal Culture
    Muy S
    4 Jan 22, 2014

I'm only reviewing the macarons and the beignet.

The beignet is similar in texture to a donut and was filled with chocolate hazelnut spread. It tasted just like Nutella (could be actual Nutella) and it was really good... Tasted very soft and fresh.

The small macarons are $2.50 each, which I think is pretty ridiculous... I opted for an unusual flavor, violet cassis, which was good. But would I get it again? Probably not.

I had some of my friend's raspberry macaron, the big one with fresh raspberries sandwiched in the middle (I think $10?). I thought the small size one tasted better... but I guess it's hard to resist such pretty desserts. Their desserts all look really pretty and tasty. I would recommend coming here if you wanna impress someone with pretty and expensive desserts.

Yulree Chun "@GogobotLA"
    5 Jan 22, 2014

Bottega Louie has the NYC-feel to it. Everything in here is beautiful - the interior, the pastries + dessert, the servers, the decor - everything! It's the perfect brunch spot with girlfriends as well as an impressive date spot!

My favorites here are the portobello fries and caramel pudding/budino. Just delicious!

Kat Sun
    2 Jan 22, 2014

Service is terrible; our waiter disappeared on us! It was a hassle to get service. The food -- my boyfriend's braised beef dish was too salty and my sautéed pasta was crunchy and hard; my jaw hurt from eating it. The meat was tender though. The French macarons were pretty good too, just overly expensive. The place is overrated and not worth the price for me; I can get better food and service elsewhere.

Recommended for:Family TravelersFoodies
    michere
    3 Jan 22, 2014

There was so much hype about Bottega Louie and I was a little disappointed.

i don't know if I chose the wrong dishes.

The one thing I was looking forward to the most were their macaroons. I happen to be a die hard macaroon fiend! When someone asks what is your favorite dessert, in less than a blink my answer would be macaroons!

I was disappointed in these macaroons.

The food was ok too, nothing special.

I did however like the open space design of the restaurant.

I will however give Bottega Louie another shot!

Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury TravelersNightlife LoversTrendsters
    Verlisia
    4 Dec 28, 2013

There are good reasons why Bottega Louie is such a popular restaurant. If you have ever walked or drove by this part of LA downtown, you will understand how extremely difficultly it is to look away from their gorgeously decorated display windows. Do not attempt to just walk in and take a look. Once you step into their patisserie, it would be impossible to leave without a hand or stomach full of macarons and pastries.

Their bakery is popular and so is the sit down restaurant. Come here during regular lunch or dinner hours and you are guaranteed a good long wait. Keep in mind they do not take reservations and would only sit you when your entire party is present. The good news is that they do not close between lunch and dinner. To skip the long wait, simply come here for an earlier dinner or late lunch.

Food was decent but definitely not as amazing as the look and style of the restaurant. Portabello fries is their signature item and is truly a must try. There were some good dishes like Clam Linguini and Lamb Porterhouse and a lot of average ones that are not worth mentioning. Their pizza was a slight disappointment. Margherita has good fresh toppings but the dough was too soggy in the center and partially burnt at the edge.

Are you ready for dessert yet? Please say yes to the Butterscotch Budino. If you like salted caramel you will love this creation. How were the macarons, you asked? I really shouldn't review them because I just had Laduree's that very same day. Of course, everything was pale in comparison. If you must know, I think they were good but not great. Earl Grey and Matcha were the ones that stood out from the lot.

I love the bright open ambiance with the grand high ceiling. It was a bit annoying how noisy the restaurant gets though. Not the best place for an intimate dinner but a fun place for a group of friends.

Recommended for:Business TravelersFoodiesLuxury TravelersTrendsters
    Antho L.
    4 Nov 22, 2013

Bottega Louite is a good destination spot in L.A. I've dined here a few times after the long wait because this place is usually crankin', especially on the weekends.

I remember the food was decent, nothing truly spectacular. A lot of Italian plates if you like that sort of thing. The desserts are pretty great though, in particular the macarons.

It's cool to grab a spot up front in the bar area if you have the patience to troll around waiting and hoping someone will leave soon because it's first come first serve. But if you are fortunate to get a table, it's great to just people watch over drinks and desserts.

Service is pretty good and it's not a place to have a nice quiet dinner because the acoustics of the building just don't lend itself to that. It is really loud so be prepared to use your outside voice.

All in all, I do enjoy coming here every once in a while because it's got a vibrant ambiance.

Kat
    4 Jan 18, 2014

We were pressed for time so we weren't able to go in and see but this spot is definitely on my list when I visit LA next. :)

Sharon K. Yapp
    4 Dec 31, 2013

A great place for brunch in Downtown LA! My menu picks: eggs benedict, pancakes, ceviche, pizza, portobello mushroom fries, roast beef sandwich. Bottega Louie has a bakery boasting tons of great pastries...take your pick!

Recommended for:Trendsters
    esther lee
    4 Dec 30, 2013

BL has always been a fantastic place to eat all forms of meals ESPECIALLY dessert. Always a fan of this place. Love their macarons!

Lisa
    4 Jan 22, 2014

A decorative dining cuisine with a full bar, bakery and cafe. They are most famous for their macaroons and decadent pastries.

Carlie Yapp
    5 Feb 25, 2014

This trip: brunch.
    The eggs Benedict is the standard. Eggs are perfectly runny, muffin is slightly crispy and the cream has a touch of lemon to break down the acidity. Wife had the lobster hash which was tasty as well.

We split a prosciutto burrata over a potatoe pancake. Pancake was very tasty although I would have preferred a dryer prosciutto.

13,172 people visited Bottega Louie