Bottega Louie

700 S Grand Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90017

• Bottega LouieAmbassadorPro 2014

Mmm mm yum!! Amazing food, they're famous for their pizzas and small dishes. Truffle potatoes are a must! And make sure to grab some macarons on your way out.

Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury TravelersLocal CultureTrendsters
  • Bottega Louie

Bottega Louie has the NYC-feel to it. Everything in here is beautiful - the interior, the pastries + dessert, the servers, the decor - everything! It's the perfect brunch spot with girlfriends as well as an impressive date spot!

My favorites here are the portobello fries and caramel pudding/budino. Just delicious!

• Bottega Louie

A really great restaurant and market in downtown LA, but prepared to wait if you get there at prime dinner or lunch time! The market mainly consists of wine and pastries (they have really amazing macarons!!) and there are both casual and more formal dining areas. The food is relatively traditional Italian and it's fantastic. The entire place can get quite loud, so this is not necessarily the spot for a quiet intimate meal.

• Bottega Louie

Let's just start with the location. I HATE DRIVING IN DOWNTOWN L.A.! I HATE IT SO MUCH! But I found a $4 parking lot a block away, so I was a bit happier.

Okay..on to the ambience...it's dark, loud, and a claustrophobe's worst nightmare. I hated the wait, I hated it with a passion! And they make you wait near the center of the ding place, so I just wanted to scream for the full 35-45 minutes we were there.

FOOD: Amazing, impressive, different, and simply something you must try.
    1. Burrata Pizza - GET THIS! I LOVED this. A very delicious pizza with globs of burrata cheese and prosciutto! Burrata cheese reminds me of goat's cheese, but it's not! So...yes. YUM! TRY THIS!
    2. Sausage Pizza - We split one order of the pizza in half so half was Burrata and the other half was Sausage. While I didn't try this one, my friends say it was really good.
    3. Louie Salad - Very good salad! I'm not an iceberg lettuce fan (and there was a lot of iceberg lettuce), but they had enough dijon vinaigrette, bell peppers, hearts of palm, tomatoes, avocado, and shrimp to make this better than your average salad.
    4. Trenne Pasta - GET THIS! It's phenomenal! LOVE the braised rib eye flavor, and the fact that they made Penne crispy! SO GOOD!
    5. Pomodoro Pasta - This was just okay for me. I've had more unique pasta elsewhere.
    6. Portobello Fries - Am I the only one who thought this was going to be real fries with mushroom oil/sauce (like truffle fries)?????? Haha! While everyone at our table loved this, it was just alright to me. It's a big mushroom, sliced, and fried. =\

DESSERT: We ordered a few macarons, (I only ate the Earl Grey...YUMMMM!), a Raspberry Beignet, and a Chocolate Hazelnut Beignet.
    1. Earl Grey Macaron - Good...but PRICEY! WHAT?! $2.5/1 macaron?! Ridiculous!
    2. Chocolate Hazelnut Beignet - Good...but not great. I don't like Nutella, so this was pretty much a donut with Nutella for me. Mehh...
    3. Raspberry Beignet - Better than the CHB, but still...very much like a donut for me.

SERVICE: It was very hard to flag down our waitress because it's so busy and loud. But when we flagged her down, she was very nice and helpful. Her voice was very low due to the acoustics of the restaurant so half the time, I felt like I was watching her mime.

FINAL VERDICT: I'd really like to love this place, but it's so hard when the traffic getting there is horrible, the wait area is horrible, the macarons are so expensive, and again, SO crowded! But alas, the food was very good...I really would love to come back again.

• Bottega LouiePro 2014

AMBIANCE: I felt like I was in an episode of "Sex and the City" here! The ceilings are abnormally high here and it's very spacious. It's got a trendy cafe feel to it and felt like a good place to meet up with friends after a long day at work - or for brunch. The front of their store offers a variety macarons and made me feel (for a second) like I was in Paris (never mind the dirty downtown LA drag).

FOOD: The food was good; in fact everyone I asks says everything on the menu is good. I ordered the trenne, which ended up being surprisingly tasty and fresh. The bread is ok. A bit hard for my taste. I also shared a truffle mashed potatoes with my friend that I also didn't care for. It was like the potatoes hardened after sitting there more than 5 minutes, so I didn't really enjoy it. It wasn't soft at all, nor did it taste mashed by the time I ate it. I had a taste of my friend's spaghetti pomodoro and that was good also. It had a nice touch of basil and tasted basil-ly but in a good way.

SERVICE: Excellent service! Our server Sidney was very nice and had a solid attitude, well made for serving. She was also very pretty, but then again, everyone that worked here looked like they were would-be actors and actresses. The bus boys were particularly friendly and made our stay. They grated cheese for us like they were playing instruments!

OVERALL: I would come back here again. It's reasonably priced here if you get an entree, but I can see how pricey it could get if you ordered a lot of small plates, drinks, etc. I could have sat here for hours talking to my friend if the dining room didn't get so busy( we felt guilty for taking up the space on a busy night)! Overall, good experience and well worth going to Downtown LA for.

Recommended for:Trendsters
  • Bottega LouiePro 2014

I'm only reviewing the macarons and the beignet.

The beignet is similar in texture to a donut and was filled with chocolate hazelnut spread. It tasted just like Nutella (could be actual Nutella) and it was really good... Tasted very soft and fresh.

The small macarons are $2.50 each, which I think is pretty ridiculous... I opted for an unusual flavor, violet cassis, which was good. But would I get it again? Probably not.

I had some of my friend's raspberry macaron, the big one with fresh raspberries sandwiched in the middle (I think $10?). I thought the small size one tasted better... but I guess it's hard to resist such pretty desserts. Their desserts all look really pretty and tasty. I would recommend coming here if you wanna impress someone with pretty and expensive desserts.

• Bottega LouiePro 2014

There are good reasons why Bottega Louie is such a popular restaurant. If you have ever walked or drove by this part of LA downtown, you will understand how extremely difficultly it is to look away from their gorgeously decorated display windows. Do not attempt to just walk in and take a look. Once you step into their patisserie, it would be impossible to leave without a hand or stomach full of macarons and pastries.

Their bakery is popular and so is the sit down restaurant. Come here during regular lunch or dinner hours and you are guaranteed a good long wait. Keep in mind they do not take reservations and would only sit you when your entire party is present. The good news is that they do not close between lunch and dinner. To skip the long wait, simply come here for an earlier dinner or late lunch.

Food was decent but definitely not as amazing as the look and style of the restaurant. Portabello fries is their signature item and is truly a must try. There were some good dishes like Clam Linguini and Lamb Porterhouse and a lot of average ones that are not worth mentioning. Their pizza was a slight disappointment. Margherita has good fresh toppings but the dough was too soggy in the center and partially burnt at the edge.

Are you ready for dessert yet? Please say yes to the Butterscotch Budino. If you like salted caramel you will love this creation. How were the macarons, you asked? I really shouldn't review them because I just had Laduree's that very same day. Of course, everything was pale in comparison. If you must know, I think they were good but not great. Earl Grey and Matcha were the ones that stood out from the lot.

I love the bright open ambiance with the grand high ceiling. It was a bit annoying how noisy the restaurant gets though. Not the best place for an intimate dinner but a fun place for a group of friends.

Recommended for:Business TravelersFoodiesLuxury TravelersTrendsters
  • Bottega LouiePro 2014

We were pressed for time so we weren't able to go in and see but this spot is definitely on my list when I visit LA next. :)

• Bottega LouieAmbassadorPro 2014

I've only had the macaroons here, I really want to go back for their restaurant, but man, are their macaroons delicious. I crave their earl grey tea macaroon something powerful...

• Bottega LouiePro 2014

Ah, Bottega Louie, you're pretty awesome. My friends and I went to Bottega Louie after seeing Book of Mormon at the Pantages. Luckily we saw a matinee on a Saturday and arrived at the restaurant around 5pm. Sadly, Bottega Louie does not accept reservations; however, we arrived just at the right time so we were seated within minutes. That also gave me a little time to peruse the dessert case. There's much more than just macarons here. The restaurant reminds me of Extraordinary Desserts in San Diego. Perhaps they inspired each other but the decor is minimal and the food is good. It's also a FANTASTIC place to people watch. I SWEAR that all the waiters here are wannabe actors or actresses because they are effin' beautiful. It's like they did a casting call for their service staff. Alas, it is Hollywood where dreams come true, right? Our waiter was not only cute, he was awesome.

We ordered the burrata pizza, portobella fries, asparagus and poached egg, lasagna, and chocolate soufflé to share. Sharing is encouraged here. We also ordered drinks: green tea mojito, green tea Arnold Palmer, and coffee. I enjoyed everything except for the asparagus. It was a beautiful presentation but the dressing was not blended well and chunks of anchovy were visible. I mistook it for shallots and bit into a chunk. I was rewarded with a fishy taste. Ick. I loved the pizza with the thin crust and gobs of burrata mozzarella. I really enjoyed the layers of lasagna and the portobella fries. Our first order of chocolate soufflé fell flat and they had to make another for us. Thanks to the host to stop by our table to let us know what happened. We saw that as the evening wore on, the place got PACKED. It was filling up with even more beautiful people, if you could even believe it. Finally, our soufflé made it to us. It is accompanied by a vanilla bean infused cream sauce. The combination of the two is divine. The dessert is definitely made for sharing too since I don't think one person should eat it all. For the 3 of us, we split the bill and it came out to about $35 each.

We also wandered over to the dessert case and ordered macarons. How could you not? They run a steep $2 each. I ordered a box of 5 flavors: Earl Grey, matcha, salted caramel, strawberry, and passion fruit. It comes in a beautiful box and they can wrap it with ribbon if you want. You can also place large orders for parties too. They really do everything here.

• Bottega Louie

This is one of my favorite places to eat in LA. I love the food, but I love the dessert even more (ok, who doesn't?). The food is fairly priced and is very yummy, they have a lot of unique things. I love going with a group and ordering a bunch of the little plates and everyone just sharing. If you have the chance, you have to check out the brunch on weekends. A bit of advice for those with young kids, the restaurant gets pretty loud and the wait to sit can be up to 30 minutes (the longest we had to wait), so it might not be the best place for the little ones.

• Bottega LouiePro 2014

I had heard about Bottega Louie from numerous people and had to check it out. The food is reasonably priced and quite tasty. The Portobello fries are a must try. The fries are fried with a light and crisp batter while the Portobello mushroom inside stays tender and juicy. The dipping sauce that comes with the fries is a great complement in terms of flavor and is not heavy at all. Be careful not to eat too many fries first though because they can be quite filling. Save room for the 9 different flavors of macaroons that you can pick up at the dessert counter in the front. They are not too sweet and very delicious. My personal favorites are the red one (chocolate filling) and the brown one (caramel filling). I can’t wait to go back to try more here. The only reason for 4 stars instead of 5 is because the restaurant is located downtown in what used to be a warehouse, so there is not much sound absorption. It can get very loud and difficult to hold a conversation.

• Bottega Louie

So sad that they increased the price of each macaron. I've been back to Bottega so many times within the past few months, but when my boyfriend and I went today, we were both a little shocked to see that the prices of the boxes had gone up - then we saw that each macaron is now $2.50 instead of $2.00. It might not make a difference for some people, but it definitely made a difference to me! A box of 5 is now $12.50 and a box of 13 is $32.50. I thought $2 was steep, but this is too much! The box of 5 that I have are precious goods now!

Their desserts are all fabulous. I tried their big raspberry macaron and their eclairs - very delicious. Their cupcakes weren't too great. My favorite flavors are the rose, salted caramel and the violet cassis. Lemon is also good! Earl Grey is okay, but the design is amazing.

It's better to go earlier in the day so you can secure the flavors that you want rather than head there at night (which does suck because you will probably run into traffic). Twice I have been here at night, and all of the salted caramel and Earl Grey flavors were gone.

This was probably the last time I will specifically make a trip just for macarons to Bottega. If I am in the area ... Well that's another story! Will probably just head to Lette. I will miss those beautiful boxes that the macarons come in!

Recommended for:Art & Design LoversFoodiesLuxury TravelersTrendsters
  • Bottega LouiePro 2014

Beautiful food in a beautiful space. Macarons are not the best I've ever had, but they are quite good. Each will set you back $2.50 a piece, so they are on the expensive side. The workers are super efficient so don't worry if you see a long line.

Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury Travelers
  • Bottega Louie

I'm not sure if the food lives up to the hype I've been reading about... The presentation and restaurant venue looks great but the food is not necessarily something that stood out to me! The only thing I would actually go back for would be their delicious Chocolate Souffle! For parking I would recommend reserving a spot here: http://www.parkme.com/los-angeles-parking/bottega-louie. You can reserve a spot for under 5 bux and have the spot all night. Enjoy!

Recommended for:Family TravelersLuxury TravelersTrendsters
  • Bottega LouiePro 2014

they skipped us by 10 people, they should really need to find a better system!

Ive been to the over hyped Bottega for now brunch, dinner and lunch and all were
    decent to say the least.

I visited bottega this past weekend with a girlfriend and i know they don't take reservation so everything is a first come first serve basis. They have a interesting system when they let you know its your turn to be seated. They write your name down and your outfit down and search for you later.
    This system may not be to incredibly effective as we were told we were to be seated in 15 minutes but ended up waiting for over 1.5. hrs!!!!! I had just about enough and went to check their booklets and noticed they skimmed over us by 7 people ( including big groups) !!
    I told them our name again and the girls looked at each other and quickly told us we were next! Irritated i let that slide and were seated, our meals actually made up for all the unnecessary waiting..I actually really enjoyed my hash brown (instead of the bread) for my eggs benedict! The waiter suggested it since they don't give you a side of hash with your benedict ( unheard of to me!) but that little compromised was actually beneficial, as i didn't want to intake that much carbs anyways !

My bloody mary was way too peppery that I barely could catch my breath! I ended up sending it back after 4 more taste, assuming that I could just take it..but I literally couldn't! Ended up ording the belini which was okay...

My gf orderd the Portobello fries ( a popular dish of theirs) to me it was way too oily and heavy! Her waffles weren't bad though with the light cream cheese - simple but a bit too pricey for something so simple.

• Bottega Louie

This place just makes me happy. The restaurant is spacious, its staff is welcoming and everything served is delicious. And if that wasn't enough, it has it's own Patisserie... with macaroons. It's my go-to place for brunch.

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal CultureLuxury TravelersTrendsters
  • Bottega Louie

First of all, I like the design of this restaurant since it's in my favorite color. It has a variety of food and drinks, bakery and desserts to choose from. I tried their French macarons on my first visit, which became my favorite dessert since then.

• Bottega Louie

I really love this place. I always get some pastries / cakes to go. I tried half of their cakes and pastries and so far I loved everything. It's not too sweet, very elegant, you can enjoy with your eyes and mouth.

• Bottega LouiePro 2014

Great food and service and the food is aplenty. really enjoyed it all. they have a great brunch menu and feeds you well especially providing bread. you can ask for jam and add onto it for free if you ask. they also have sparkling water provided if you want. it is complimentary.

Recommended for:FoodiesNightlife LoversLocal Culture