Bottega Louie

700 S Grand Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90017
Bottega Louie

• Bottega Louie

This is one of my favorite places to eat in LA. I love the food, but I love the dessert even more (ok, who doesn't?). The food is fairly priced and is very yummy, they have a lot of unique things. I love going with a group and ordering a bunch of the little plates and everyone just sharing. If you have the chance, you have to check out the brunch on weekends. A bit of advice for those with young kids, the restaurant gets pretty loud and the wait to sit can be up to 30 minutes (the longest we had to wait), so it might not be the best place for the little ones.

• Bottega LouieAmbassadorPro 2014

Mmm mm yum!! Amazing food, they're famous for their pizzas and small dishes. Truffle potatoes are a must! And make sure to grab some macarons on your way out.

Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury TravelersLocal CultureTrendsters
  • Bottega Louie

I really love this place. I always get some pastries / cakes to go. I tried half of their cakes and pastries and so far I loved everything. It's not too sweet, very elegant, you can enjoy with your eyes and mouth.

• Bottega Louie

Bottega Louie has the NYC-feel to it. Everything in here is beautiful - the interior, the pastries + dessert, the servers, the decor - everything! It's the perfect brunch spot with girlfriends as well as an impressive date spot!

My favorites here are the portobello fries and caramel pudding/budino. Just delicious!

• Bottega LouiePro 2014

These stars are only for the macarons.

$2 each and the their selection is heavenly!

My favorite: Passion Fruit. It even has a small piece of fruit inside!

Other flavors I've tried:

Pistachio - would like it if it had more nutty flavor
    Salted Caramel - a denser macaron. Tasted almost like a brownie
    Earl Grey - this one's really pretty to look at with the gold flakes on top. But...can't differentiate the taste
    Strawberry - a little too sweet for me
    Mandarin Chocolate - an orangey and dark chocolate combo

Macarons are definitely a luxury, but at $2 a piece for this quality, it's worth it. I've seen other places charge almost double, for the same size, and the density + chewy factor didn't compare to Bottega.

I also bought on impulse the $1 Beignet. Meh. Just a soft sugar donut and it's not warm. Also, a Pistachio Cupcake since it looked so cute. Ugh, so much CREAM. Don't bother!

Their eclairs in the other display case looked awesome though! Like jewel sticks. Will try next time.

Open 'till 12 AM

Recommended for:Luxury Travelers
  • Bottega Louie

A really great restaurant and market in downtown LA, but prepared to wait if you get there at prime dinner or lunch time! The market mainly consists of wine and pastries (they have really amazing macarons!!) and there are both casual and more formal dining areas. The food is relatively traditional Italian and it's fantastic. The entire place can get quite loud, so this is not necessarily the spot for a quiet intimate meal.

Love sweets :)

• Bottega LouiePro 2014

I had heard about Bottega Louie from numerous people and had to check it out. The food is reasonably priced and quite tasty. The Portobello fries are a must try. The fries are fried with a light and crisp batter while the Portobello mushroom inside stays tender and juicy. The dipping sauce that comes with the fries is a great complement in terms of flavor and is not heavy at all. Be careful not to eat too many fries first though because they can be quite filling. Save room for the 9 different flavors of macaroons that you can pick up at the dessert counter in the front. They are not too sweet and very delicious. My personal favorites are the red one (chocolate filling) and the brown one (caramel filling). I can’t wait to go back to try more here. The only reason for 4 stars instead of 5 is because the restaurant is located downtown in what used to be a warehouse, so there is not much sound absorption. It can get very loud and difficult to hold a conversation.

• Bottega Louie

Let's just start with the location. I HATE DRIVING IN DOWNTOWN L.A.! I HATE IT SO MUCH! But I found a $4 parking lot a block away, so I was a bit happier.

Okay..on to the ambience...it's dark, loud, and a claustrophobe's worst nightmare. I hated the wait, I hated it with a passion! And they make you wait near the center of the ding place, so I just wanted to scream for the full 35-45 minutes we were there.

FOOD: Amazing, impressive, different, and simply something you must try.
    1. Burrata Pizza - GET THIS! I LOVED this. A very delicious pizza with globs of burrata cheese and prosciutto! Burrata cheese reminds me of goat's cheese, but it's not! So...yes. YUM! TRY THIS!
    2. Sausage Pizza - We split one order of the pizza in half so half was Burrata and the other half was Sausage. While I didn't try this one, my friends say it was really good.
    3. Louie Salad - Very good salad! I'm not an iceberg lettuce fan (and there was a lot of iceberg lettuce), but they had enough dijon vinaigrette, bell peppers, hearts of palm, tomatoes, avocado, and shrimp to make this better than your average salad.
    4. Trenne Pasta - GET THIS! It's phenomenal! LOVE the braised rib eye flavor, and the fact that they made Penne crispy! SO GOOD!
    5. Pomodoro Pasta - This was just okay for me. I've had more unique pasta elsewhere.
    6. Portobello Fries - Am I the only one who thought this was going to be real fries with mushroom oil/sauce (like truffle fries)?????? Haha! While everyone at our table loved this, it was just alright to me. It's a big mushroom, sliced, and fried. =\

DESSERT: We ordered a few macarons, (I only ate the Earl Grey...YUMMMM!), a Raspberry Beignet, and a Chocolate Hazelnut Beignet.
    1. Earl Grey Macaron - Good...but PRICEY! WHAT?! $2.5/1 macaron?! Ridiculous!
    2. Chocolate Hazelnut Beignet - Good...but not great. I don't like Nutella, so this was pretty much a donut with Nutella for me. Mehh...
    3. Raspberry Beignet - Better than the CHB, but still...very much like a donut for me.

SERVICE: It was very hard to flag down our waitress because it's so busy and loud. But when we flagged her down, she was very nice and helpful. Her voice was very low due to the acoustics of the restaurant so half the time, I felt like I was watching her mime.

FINAL VERDICT: I'd really like to love this place, but it's so hard when the traffic getting there is horrible, the wait area is horrible, the macarons are so expensive, and again, SO crowded! But alas, the food was very good...I really would love to come back again.

• Bottega LouiePro 2014

AMBIANCE: I felt like I was in an episode of "Sex and the City" here! The ceilings are abnormally high here and it's very spacious. It's got a trendy cafe feel to it and felt like a good place to meet up with friends after a long day at work - or for brunch. The front of their store offers a variety macarons and made me feel (for a second) like I was in Paris (never mind the dirty downtown LA drag).

FOOD: The food was good; in fact everyone I asks says everything on the menu is good. I ordered the trenne, which ended up being surprisingly tasty and fresh. The bread is ok. A bit hard for my taste. I also shared a truffle mashed potatoes with my friend that I also didn't care for. It was like the potatoes hardened after sitting there more than 5 minutes, so I didn't really enjoy it. It wasn't soft at all, nor did it taste mashed by the time I ate it. I had a taste of my friend's spaghetti pomodoro and that was good also. It had a nice touch of basil and tasted basil-ly but in a good way.

SERVICE: Excellent service! Our server Sidney was very nice and had a solid attitude, well made for serving. She was also very pretty, but then again, everyone that worked here looked like they were would-be actors and actresses. The bus boys were particularly friendly and made our stay. They grated cheese for us like they were playing instruments!

OVERALL: I would come back here again. It's reasonably priced here if you get an entree, but I can see how pricey it could get if you ordered a lot of small plates, drinks, etc. I could have sat here for hours talking to my friend if the dining room didn't get so busy( we felt guilty for taking up the space on a busy night)! Overall, good experience and well worth going to Downtown LA for.

Recommended for:Trendsters
  • Bottega LouiePro 2014

I'm only reviewing the macarons and the beignet.

The beignet is similar in texture to a donut and was filled with chocolate hazelnut spread. It tasted just like Nutella (could be actual Nutella) and it was really good... Tasted very soft and fresh.

The small macarons are $2.50 each, which I think is pretty ridiculous... I opted for an unusual flavor, violet cassis, which was good. But would I get it again? Probably not.

I had some of my friend's raspberry macaron, the big one with fresh raspberries sandwiched in the middle (I think $10?). I thought the small size one tasted better... but I guess it's hard to resist such pretty desserts. Their desserts all look really pretty and tasty. I would recommend coming here if you wanna impress someone with pretty and expensive desserts.

• Bottega LouiePro 2014

There are good reasons why Bottega Louie is such a popular restaurant. If you have ever walked or drove by this part of LA downtown, you will understand how extremely difficultly it is to look away from their gorgeously decorated display windows. Do not attempt to just walk in and take a look. Once you step into their patisserie, it would be impossible to leave without a hand or stomach full of macarons and pastries.

Their bakery is popular and so is the sit down restaurant. Come here during regular lunch or dinner hours and you are guaranteed a good long wait. Keep in mind they do not take reservations and would only sit you when your entire party is present. The good news is that they do not close between lunch and dinner. To skip the long wait, simply come here for an earlier dinner or late lunch.

Food was decent but definitely not as amazing as the look and style of the restaurant. Portabello fries is their signature item and is truly a must try. There were some good dishes like Clam Linguini and Lamb Porterhouse and a lot of average ones that are not worth mentioning. Their pizza was a slight disappointment. Margherita has good fresh toppings but the dough was too soggy in the center and partially burnt at the edge.

Are you ready for dessert yet? Please say yes to the Butterscotch Budino. If you like salted caramel you will love this creation. How were the macarons, you asked? I really shouldn't review them because I just had Laduree's that very same day. Of course, everything was pale in comparison. If you must know, I think they were good but not great. Earl Grey and Matcha were the ones that stood out from the lot.

I love the bright open ambiance with the grand high ceiling. It was a bit annoying how noisy the restaurant gets though. Not the best place for an intimate dinner but a fun place for a group of friends.

Recommended for:Business TravelersFoodiesLuxury TravelersTrendsters
  • Bottega Louie

Bottega Louite is a good destination spot in L.A. I've dined here a few times after the long wait because this place is usually crankin', especially on the weekends.

I remember the food was decent, nothing truly spectacular. A lot of Italian plates if you like that sort of thing. The desserts are pretty great though, in particular the macarons.

It's cool to grab a spot up front in the bar area if you have the patience to troll around waiting and hoping someone will leave soon because it's first come first serve. But if you are fortunate to get a table, it's great to just people watch over drinks and desserts.

Service is pretty good and it's not a place to have a nice quiet dinner because the acoustics of the building just don't lend itself to that. It is really loud so be prepared to use your outside voice.

All in all, I do enjoy coming here every once in a while because it's got a vibrant ambiance.

• Bottega LouiePro 2014

We were pressed for time so we weren't able to go in and see but this spot is definitely on my list when I visit LA next. :)

• Bottega LouiePro 2014

After a great night we decided to head over Bottega Louie.

Once we walked inside it was packed, but we still received great service. It was late in the night, and we already had dinner, so we went with drinks and dessert. The atmosphere is great. Yes, it can get loud, but not enough where it takes away from the place.

I had a bloody mary with a cheesecake. Weird combo, but it was great. I loved it. I enjoyed it.

This is a happening place and if you want a good seat, get there early.

• Bottega Louie

am so long overdue for this review..
    When you walk in to Bottega, you are mesmerized by the front bakery section of the restaurant. Colorful, bright, vibrant with their macaroons, desserts and gift items, it's just breathtaking! (Remembering being dropped off so I can get a table first before the crowd comes in. Instead of doing that, I was oohing and ahh-ing at the bakery section and totally forgot to get a table for dinner.) The restaurant's vibe and ambiance is simple yet beautiful and elegant. Beautiful ambiance, beautiful decor, and uh-mm, oh yes, beautiful waiters with their mesmerizing smiles that can make you forget about the food and your date for a few minutes or so. :-P The only uncomfortable part of it is that its high ceiling results in getting VERY noisy inside. The wait for a table can be long if you come during lunch/dinner rush hour. So prepare to do a little bit of a shopping or sitting by the bar area and do some people watching.

The service from these oh so handsome waiters are impeccable! They are consistently with their service. Every time I'm here I feel like I'm being treated like a queen.

Now the food...
    Like the restaurant, the food and desserts are so beautiful to look at, although most dishes are tasty, some items can be overrated.
    -MUSSELS- this dish of their Mediterranean mussels is delicious! They give you plenty of it, a big bowl of plenty with the sauce so good we dip our bread in it!
    - PIZZA can be ordered 1/2 and 1/2 at your request. We had 1/2 Burrata & 1/2 pepperoni
    -BURRATA pizza- Burrata, parmesan, garlic, olive oil & prosciutto di Parma. The Prosciutto gave the pizza a big kick!
    -PEPPERONI- mozzarella, parmesan, tomato sauce, oregano & pepperoni. Good ole Pepperoni always can't go wrong with that!
    -TRENNE PASTA- Pan sauteed trenne pasta with braised prime rib eye, Tuscan black kale & shaved parmesan cheese. The braised rib eye meat is tender and juicy. The trenne pasta is pan sauteed with a little bit of char grilled taste. Consume when it's hot, once it gets cold, the pasta becomes a little hard to chew.
    - SHORT RIBS- Omg tender!! The sauce has a little bit of an Asian Chinese dish flavor to it. Served with Ricotta. A delicious dish but it's heavy.
    -LAMB CHOP- 2 pieces of lamb chops that are just mouth watering flavors bursting out of it. Tender meat that falls off the bone. It was so good, I even wanted to chew the bone off. Lol!
    -CEVICHE- small tapas size of delicious shrimp ceviche marinated into the tangy juice.
    -PORTOBELLO FRIES- The "Hype" here but I thought it was Over hyped. The battered was very oily leaving my stomach not feeling well. The taste is a bit bland, but dip it in the Aioli sauce and it's definitely tastes better.
    -FRIED CALAMARI -Yummy and addicting. Can't stop picking at it!
    -ARGULU SALAD: Fresh and crispy greens!
    -CHOCOLATE SOUFFLE- takes about 20 minutes to bake, so always order this during your meal order is put in.
    -MACAROONS- My favorites are the Salted Caramel, Earl Grey and the coffee!
    -TIRAMISU- love the taste. Bittersweet and bitter. YUM! Goes great with a cup of cappuccino
    -HAZELNUT (DONUT): sugar coated donut with hazelnut chocolate inside.
    -FRUIT TART: glazed with sugar syrup and delicious. The tart is flaky and fresh.
    -HAZELNUT CHOCOLATE BAR: No bueno. Not worth the $.

Overall, the restaurant is over hyped and over priced but definitely worth it. Am I contradicting myself? Haha. If you're a foodie, you should at least try out this place once. At over 4000 reviews, I'm sure this place doesn't need any more introductions. Make sure you got a few hours to spend here from the wait of your table to the end of dessert!

Parking can be a big hassle. Street metered parking is very hard to look for because it's always full. Your best bet is to valet park or in the parking structure behind the restaurant for $5.
    Love their late night hours. Every night is opened until 11pm and Friday and Saturday until midnight!

• Bottega LouiePro 2014

Great place for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! But be ready to wait there always seems to be at least a 20 min wait for thr dining room. Bar area is first come first serve. Favorite dishes for breakfast smoked salmon eggs benedict. Favorite dish for dinner Portobello Fries and Burrata Pizza. Oh don't forget to save room for their famous macaroons!

• Bottega LouieAmbassadorPro 2014

There was so much hype about Bottega Louie and I was a little disappointed.

i don't know if I chose the wrong dishes.

The one thing I was looking forward to the most were their macaroons. I happen to be a die hard macaroon fiend! When someone asks what is your favorite dessert, in less than a blink my answer would be macaroons!

I was disappointed in these macaroons.

The food was ok too, nothing special.

I did however like the open space design of the restaurant.

I will however give Bottega Louie another shot!

Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury TravelersNightlife LoversTrendsters
  • Bottega Louie

It's pretty good, but used to be better

• Bottega Louie

So sad that they increased the price of each macaron. I've been back to Bottega so many times within the past few months, but when my boyfriend and I went today, we were both a little shocked to see that the prices of the boxes had gone up - then we saw that each macaron is now $2.50 instead of $2.00. It might not make a difference for some people, but it definitely made a difference to me! A box of 5 is now $12.50 and a box of 13 is $32.50. I thought $2 was steep, but this is too much! The box of 5 that I have are precious goods now!

Their desserts are all fabulous. I tried their big raspberry macaron and their eclairs - very delicious. Their cupcakes weren't too great. My favorite flavors are the rose, salted caramel and the violet cassis. Lemon is also good! Earl Grey is okay, but the design is amazing.

It's better to go earlier in the day so you can secure the flavors that you want rather than head there at night (which does suck because you will probably run into traffic). Twice I have been here at night, and all of the salted caramel and Earl Grey flavors were gone.

This was probably the last time I will specifically make a trip just for macarons to Bottega. If I am in the area ... Well that's another story! Will probably just head to Lette. I will miss those beautiful boxes that the macarons come in!

Recommended for:Art & Design LoversFoodiesLuxury TravelersTrendsters