Boulevard

1 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94105

Laurel W
    5 Mar 14, 2014

I have always phoned for reservations but now the restaurant is on Open Table. Last time we went, we were seated near the Steuart Street end of the restaurant where we could see the lights on the Bay Bridge. We really enjoyed the ambiance of Boulevard, busy and friendly staff, and the interesting decor. We had been to Boulevard twice before and loved it so much we wanted to return. We were not disappointed. The menu is typically Californian with an emphasis on seasonal local ingredients. Our meals were outstanding and service very good. They have an excellent wine list and even though we felt we had splashed out, the total bill was slightly less than the very upscale seafood restaurant, Farallon. It was our last dinner in San Francisco and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Travis Katz
    5 Oct 18, 2013

Had an amazing dinner here. Started with abalone on risotto. Followed by scallops with artichoke hearts. Delicious with beautiful presentation and great service.

Recommended for:Business TravelersFoodiesLuxury TravelersNightlife Lovers
    Barbara Kossy
    5 Sep 17, 2013

An elegant restaurant with lovely old-style decor and superb food. I've only eaten lunch here, which is truly a great dining experience and a bit more affordable.

Alex L
    5 Aug 05, 2013

If you're looking for the San Francisco from the days of Herb Caen (go ahead, google it; I'll wait ...), Boulevard is just about your best bet these days. While the building's renovation and the restaurant is fairly new (1990s), the dining experience feels like it dates back to the building's inception (1889). From the foundry-made lamps to antique wood furnishings, Boulevard oozes elegance. As far as its excellent menu goes, think meat and fish dressed up with truffle shavings, Meyer lemon relish or watermelon and yogurt coulis. Book a table on the early side, because you'll need a few hours to digest your meal.

Recommended for:Art & Design LoversFoodiesLuxury Travelers
    Gogobot Editors' Choice
    5 Jul 22, 2013

Exuding old-school, classic San Francisco elegance, Boulevard has been a favorite of luxury locals and travelers alike for generations. The Parisian-Californian decor has only been enhanced recently by the Bay Bridge lighting design. From hearty filet mignons and lunchtime burgers to delicate ahi tuna and carpaccio, Boulevard covers many of the classic American dishes with a Californian flair.

Caroline Carlos
    5 Feb 17, 2013

The minute you enter this restaurant, it feels like you've been transported to a different era. Should we have come in evening gowns, minks, top hats, and tails? Is there a sultry singer with a full orchestra down the hall? Sorry, I've already been distracted by the wine book that's beyond extensive. Wow. How about an Italian red...oh, they have a Buratta and Heirloom Tomato Salad. And lamb. And quail. And sea bass. And gosh, the presentation is beautiful. And the flavors...ok, I'm done talking. Pardon me as I overindulge on dinner.

Mike G
    5 Dec 26, 2012

We had high hopes for this place, and it exceeded our expectations. It began with great service when we walked in. We had reservations and the hostess said it would be a few minutes so she invited us to wait at the bar and they would come find us. We ordered a drink from the bartender. The drinks were very well mixed. A few minutes later, our bartender let us know our table would be ready soon. I appreciated that even the bartender knew our status. We were seated shortly after. The rest of the service was great. The food was delicious. I splurged on filet mignon and was rewarded. The meat was cooked perfectly with a perfect sear on the outside and tons of flavor. My wife had the prime rib of pork. Also excellently cooked and delicious. The restaurant has a classic San Franciscan feel to it.

Traci
    4 Dec 12, 2012

I've been to Boulevard a couple times and the food never disappoints. Most recently I had the pork chop, which was amazing (although be warned, if you are not comfortable with your pork being cooked medium rare, specify that to them that you would like it cooked a little more). Others in my party had the filet mignon, which was apparently amazing and perfectly cooked.

Our server was great, I think her name was Sheena. Super friendly, attentive and really helpful (she had a great wine recommendation to pair with our food). The ambiance of the restaurant is very warm and cozy. I love the semi-open kitchen where you can see the chefs doing their thing. Apparently the building that houses the restaurant is the only building that survived the big fire in San Francisco decades ago, so it definitely feels like a historic building!

Grace C.
    4 Dec 06, 2012

Went here for a work lunch with my team. It was a great treat for us. Made reservations through Open Table.

There is valet so you don't have to worry too much about it, but it's $15 bucks, more than it is for dinner. Cash only, pay in advance to the valet guy.

Once inside, it's amazing how it looks. It definitely takes you to a different place.

Service was great. Everyone was friendly and helpful.

None of us got any drinks other than water and coffee, but on with the food.

One of the girls ordered the beets ravioli. I don't like beets, but for some reason the ravioli with goat cheese and the nuts - it was quite yummy. Don't know if I'd order a plate, but did get to enjoy half of one.

I got the Kobe Bavette. It's basically just slices of Kobe beef. The crispy potato was essentially a twice baked potato. It was just perfectly crispy on the outside, with the inside stuffed potato part nice and smooth. Someone else ordered the scallops appetizer, but asked for a lunch size portion - which is something they can apparently do. She always gets this item because she likes it so much. There was also a swordfish and Ahi tuna ordered. Everyone enjoyed their food.

We ordered a few desserts. I ordered the Pecan cake because when I asked the server if I should get that or the pot de creme, she couldn't have said pecan cake fast enough. Someone else ordered two bon bons. For them each being $3.50, I don't know if it's worth that much because they were so small. I mean, I guess that's what a bon bon is, but man, $3.50?

Overall, we enjoyed our time and the food. I'm sure we'll be back.

Cindy Chen
    5 Oct 29, 2012

What an amazing experience, especially when someone else is paying. Been there for drinks but only was recently lucky enough to experience dining there.

We had the most divine wine here, it was a California Zin, by a small winery named Carlisle. They don't make many bottles and things seem to sell out immediately (nothing available on their site). I hope I will have the opportunity to try their wines again.

I had the beef carpaccio with fried oysters for my appetizer... The waiter said they were scrumptuous, and they were. For the entree I tried the lamb 3 ways. I definitely liked the appetizer better than my entree, but they were both well presented and totally perfectly done. We ran out of room for dessert though.

Connie Pistilli
    3 Jul 05, 2012

Daly City didn't seem like it was covered by a blanket of clouds this morning because I was greeted by my sunshine inside Boulevard Cafe! Seriously though, my day couldn't have started off any better than with the smiling faces of the host and server inside this former Lyon's with a retro facade and contemporary interior.

We got some freshly squeezed OJ and pineapple juice to start as we scanned the breakfast menu. I was looking for eggs benedict (my breakfast dish of choice) and sure enough, they had them. There was also a "Vincent" eggs benedict that came with creamed spinach and artichoke hearts, but I decided to try the original. My diner companion had our server (who was a super sweet woman) recommend her favorite omelette, which was the "John Daly" with jack cheese substituted and spinach added, and went with it.

The food came out promptly and the plates were huge. The dishes came with a big serving of hash browns that were crisp and golden, just how I like them. The eggs benedict was good, but a touch too soggy with the combination of the really runny yolk and a heaping of hollandaise sauce. I had a bite of the omelette, which was delicious.

Overall, the food was pretty solid - better than most diner breakfasts I've had. Who knew Daly City could make me feel so warm and fuzzy inside?

Corner Suite San Francisco
    5 May 24, 2013
    Dave M

Even better when you can dine here on an expense account!

Aneel Ranadive

soo goodd!asdfasdf

Ziv Peled

Amazing! we all loved it!

David L.
    4 Nov 27, 2012
    Barbara Bhachu
    4 Dec 18, 2012

1,920 people visited Boulevard

One of San Francisco's best restaurants, Boulevard opened in 1993, and serves food with French style, and American flavours in a Belle Epoque setting. Nominated for Outstanding Restaurant 2010 by the James Beard committee.

Hotel Griffon