Going to La Paz, Bolivia

Section name:
    • Pro 2014
      Julia P commented on this trip

Hey Bruce -
      I'm in Bogota at the moment, having found very reasonable flights on a multicity London-New York-Bogota-London. So you could try flying to Bogota' and then taking an internal flight to the border and overlanding it. One interesting trip is to go to Leticia and then take a boat through the Amazon into Brazil or Peru.

• Pro 2014
      Julia P commented on this trip

Hey Bruce -

.Comment.over 2 years ago. Report
    • Yellonero commented on this trip

Bruce, I did some rather extensive research for my upcoming Jan/Feb trip and South America was at the very top of my list; it didn't work out (I wanted to do too many things, even 5 weeks weren't enough, going to Southeast Asia instead), but here's what I've found out. Some of it may be useful, some may not.

The cheapest flight into SA that I could find was to Guayaquil, Ecuador, by a margin. That suited me fine, I wanted to go there anyway. From there, a long night bus to Lima, then a flight on to Cusco (around $100). From Cusco, you can take a bus to Puno on Lake Titicaca and from Puno to La Paz, a short bus ride, as far as bus rides in SA go. It is easily doable. From Guayaquil to La Paz, I found out that it would take me a little more than 2 weeks, allowing for the long bus rides and reasonable length stays in Guayaquil, Lima and Cusco.

Like you, my final destination was supposed to be Rio (through Foz do Iguaçu for me), and it proved a lot more problematic. There are no cheap flights between SA cities in general (cities from different countries) and the best route I could map was La Paz to Asuncion (looooong bus ride on dodgy roads), Asuncion to Ciadad del Este (piece of cake), cross the border into Foz do Iguaçu there, a couple of nights in FdI and finally a plane to Rio (not expensive). The final problem was finding a one-way return flight to Guayaquil and I found none at a reasonable price, not from Rio, I even tried from São Paulo, which was only marginally cheaper.

Another route you might want to try from Foz do Iguaçu to Rio is through Buenos Aires. Aerolinas Argentinas offers reasonable tickets from Puerto Iguazú, across the water from FdI, to Buenos Aires. From then on to Uruguay and southern Brazil to Rio. I didn't research this route too extensively, I know myself, there are too many things I'd want to do between Buenos Aires and Rio, it would tack on another good 2 weeks to my trip haha

Hope it helps. Let me know how it shakes out for you, I'll pick your brains then because I WILL do this trip, one way or another.

.Comment.over 2 years ago. Report

Help Bruce Miller plan a great trip.

Add a Recommendation
    Don't have a specific place to recommend?Add a comment instead
    Close large map View large map
    Sync your Gogobot Trip Plans with your mobile. Get the app today.