Bruxie

292 N Glassell St, Orange, California

Tricia
    3 Jul 25, 2014

Bruxie seems to be THE go-to eatery if you're in the O.C. I'd honestly recommend going to the Huntington location over this one due to the better seating and ordering area, as well as the parking situation. I always order the Bruxie salad, and I actually remember the main toppings- sun-dried tomatoes, roasted mushrooms, and goat cheese. The balsamic dressing on the side is so thick and sweet too and is a perfect complement to the variety of flavors that the salad offers. Anyhoo, I think cheese seems to be a main ingredient in Bruxie's sandwiches because both times I've had Bruxie, I vividly remember the biting flavor the cheese. Its pretty good, but I would only come here to show off the novelty of the restaurant to others. Actually, I take that back. I would only come here for dessert. I tried the creme brulee waffle here, and that was a short-lived romance. If only you could add ice cream to the waffle...

Recommended for:FoodiesStudentsVegetarianWellness
    JR C
    4 Feb 11, 2014

All ordering and seating is outdoors. Didn't quite expect that, but there's always a dude out there that watches over tables and makes sure that you have what you need. Personal service like that is always welcome. Dude was so nice that I must say his services bumped up my views of Bruxie, even through my "not being a fan of waffles." Such a friendly college student, ohhh Chapman Pre-Grads, you guys seem so nice.

-=-Pastrami Waffle, Fries, Chocolate Shake-=- There's choices here: sweet or savory. And if you go savory the choice is: heavy or not-as-heavy. I was a hungryman so I went for heavy savory, hence the Pastrami. For a first timer, I didn't dig it. It was as if the waffle was fighting with the pastrami over your taste buds. It wasn't the cohesion that I expected, but get this: the waffle alone would be excellent, and the pastrami alone would also be excellent. My taste buds just didn't like it. Fries were just a few more extra bucks so I went with it, nothing extraordinary to report. Chocolate shake was malty and thick, just how I like it.

My recommendation? Come for the experience and expect the folded up waffle like you thought it would be.

Irene Yu
    5 Dec 09, 2013

I had such an amazing experience on my first trip to Bruxie, so it was a no brainer to bring my out-of-town guest to one of Orange County's finest. We decided to split a savory and a sweet waffle sammy since we wanted to maximize the sensation in our taste glands and based on the hosts enthusiastic recommendation we sampled the following...

Savory: South Carolina Pulled Pork Waffle with tangy BBQ sauce on the side- What an amazing sammy! I absolutely loved the soft but lightly crisp waffle combined with the slaw and mouth-watering pulled pork. It was definitely a messy sammy but completely worth it. It was finger licking good!

Sweet: Creme Brulee Waffle- The perfect dessert with classic vanilla créme with burnt raw sugar, strawberries and lightly sprinkled with powder sugar. It had the perfect balance of sweetness to appease any child's sweet-tooth but also was mild enough for any adult as well. It was crazy good!

I've tried a number of their sweet and savory sammies and I really think you can't go wrong with any of them, but these two that I tried above were definitely a home-run for our party of two.

PARKING TIP: Parking is nonexistent over here, but you can go to one of the Chapman Parking structures and pay $2 or 2 hours. I like to park in the Barrera Parking Structure on West Sycamore Ave and North Lemon Street. It's not that far of a walk and your car will be in a shaded parking structure. See map here (http://www.chapman.edu/d… ). Street parking is difficult because many of the strees need a City of Orange permit, so do yourself a favor and check out this map before you go.

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal CultureStudents
    Jon L.
    4 Sep 20, 2013

What a great concept. Waffle sandwiches. Can't believe that no one thought of this until recently.

This is the location that started what has grown into a SoCal restaurant chain. It is located near Chapman University in Orange. Parking can be dicey. There are a few spots on the premises, but you will likely need to park on the street. Since it is near a university, that makes it more difficult. Plus some street parking requires a permit.

There are numerous waffle sandwiches of the sweet and savory variety. They also have soda, floats, shakes, sundaes and frozen custard. There is also daily special waffle sandwiches with gourmet toppings like short ribs for instance. The prices here are quite reasonable given the quality fare.

I had the buttermilk fried chicken & waffle sandwich. The fried chicken was crispy and tender and was covered with a honey chili sauce and coleslaw. I can see why Bruxie has become so popular and this sandwich is one of the reasons.

If you are looking for a different type of sandwich experience when visiting LA/OC, Bruxie is the way to go.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFamily TravelersFoodiesStudents
    Jennifer O
    5 Jul 24, 2013

You've never seen a waffle like theirs. Gourmet sandwiches made with waffles. They are delicious!

Andrea L
    4 May 15, 2013

Gourmet waffle sandwiches is what they do, and they do it well. Sweet or savory, you're in for a treat here. Go with a couple of friends and share a few to get the best experience!

Muy S
    5 Jan 04, 2013

Today I tried the chicken and waffle, bacon egg and cheese, and lemon cream and berries.

First of all, it looked like at this location they don't put as much filling inside as they do at the Brea location. The sandwiches looked sad and flat. Or was I just too excited to eat Bruxie sandwiches again that I hyped it up too much for myself?? It was very yummy but I was still hungry after eating a savory and a sweet one. All seating is outdoors at this location.

Anyways, the chicken and waffle is good, but part of the waffle was soggy.

Now let me tell you about the lemon cream and berries. Lisa, are you reading this?? I know you told me the seasonal creme brulee is bomb. And it is. I ate some of that one today too (and the one in Brea tasted better to me). But the lemon cream is something else! The cream is light, sweet and tangy. It has that extra ZIIING! The seasonal creme brulee comes with strawberries. The lemon cream comes with strawberries AND blackberries.

Lemon cream wins. GET IT

Sorry in advance if I hyped it up too much. It sucks. You won't like it. I can't stop thinking about it. Lemon creammmm

Joseph Hu
    4 Oct 29, 2012

flavors that you wouldn't have thought of mixing, and loving! the basic ingredient is waffles, but from there, it doesn't always stay sweet.

Drew M.
    4 Oct 12, 2012

So I'm late in trying Bruxie in the same way that I'm late in converting over to "Timeline" for Facebook. Yes, I know that everyone has already been to Bruxie, has already got a really cool picture inside of picture for their timeline, and has beaten me in all aspects of being cool. Story of my life.

But I finally pulled the trigger, trying Bruxie AND switching over to Timeline, all in the same week! What a shock to my system that was. Being cool really takes a toll, even at the low level of coolness I inhabit.

We happened to pick a delightful day to head out to Orange, and with the sun shining and people out enjoying it, it was a great day to people watch via Bruxie's moderately spacious outdoor seating area.

Our food came out fast despite it being crowded. We shared the Buttermilk Fried Chicken and the Prosciutto with Gruyere . I wish I would have ordered the fried chicken to myself, because it was seriously astonishingly good. Our "server" gave us the recommendation of throwing some sriracha on top to balance out the sweetness of the breading, and what a fantastic idea that was. The chicken was perfectly cooked, the waffle crispy and more airy than I had expected, and the overall taste balance being something like savory, spicy, sweet, STUPENDOUS!

Maybe it was because the fried chicken was so amazing, but the prosciutto was a miss for me. It just didn't balance out with the waffle, and kind of just got lost in the whole exchange with the mustard and waffle like one was in the middle of a Tyson / Pacquiao slap-boxing match.

So I get it; Bruxie has a nitch, and they execute it well. I'd like to try out their deserts, and a lot more of their menu, though with their signature dish being so amazing, it'll be hard for me not to order it in the future.

4 Stars.

Rosemary Tsai
    1 Sep 25, 2012

Just the hype, an a-ok place. Got the chicken and waffle, didn't satisfy my craving @ all. I eat, so I need some real chicken (not just a fillet of breast) that I can eat pick up with my hand and dunk the succulent pieces of chicken into my gravy while I use the other hand to crab my fork to get a piece of the waffle. I still crave for some "real" chicken and waffle @ Roscos in Long Beach.

Would not come back again.

shirlene
    3 Sep 11, 2012

I didn't realize it was only patio seating. Kinda sucked in cold weather. I thought the food was good, but not that exciting.

MARiAN L
    5 Jul 14, 2012

I love love love Bruxie! Everything I've had from there has been so delicious that I can't decide which was the best. Their lemonade is good too. I love the warm crispiness of the waffle texture in place of regular bread. The waffle is made so it's not sweet so it doesn't interfere with taste of the food. It's all about texture! This is what the chef explained to us when he came out to greet everyone.

Debbie Miller
    5 Jul 06, 2012

Waffle sandwiches. Delicious. The waffles are soft and have great flavor. My favs are the roasted mushroom and goat cheese sandwich and the Irish nachos which are waffle fries with cheese, sour cream and chives.

Richard P

OMG! I loved Bruxie! It's a small restaurant with few tables and small parking lot. Your best best to find parking on the street. We we came the line was also quite long. We must have waited 25-30 minutes to get to the front. But despite these inconveniences the food is great. I would definitely deal with everything to eat the food again.

Service: The service is excellent. Even though Bruxie is a small place with essentially fast food dining, the staff is extremely helpful and friendly. They make sure you have everything you need. At one point I even saw one of the Chefs refill a drink. Even the Executive Chef took time to walk around to talk to the patrons. He even took the time to talk about the food and specials while we waited in line. We even got a picture with him!

Food: The food is great. I love going to new Restaurants with a large group of friends, because I want to try everything. With a large number of people, everyone can order something different so we all get a bite of each dish. That is exactly what we did at Bruxie. My favorite was the Prosciutto and Gruyere Waffle. I also really liked the Smoked Salmon with Cream Cheese. It like a Lox bagel inside an waffle. I thought maybe it might be better if it had some capers, but it was still very good. We also ordered the Bruxie Burger and and the Special which was a Braised Short Rib waffle. Everything was excellent. I didn't eat anything that I did not like. The only negative was that I thought the Strawberry Lemonade was a little tangy.

Schel @schel74
    2 Jul 05, 2012

Ok so I am a hater. I hate this hipster trendy jackwagon depot now that I have been here. It is extremely disappointing to me, no it is dead to me. I drive past and all I can think is look at all of these lemmings.

PRO TIP: Park on the street, they have like 8 slots in their parking lot

So lets see the food was ok. I got a chicken waffle sandwich and ended up very lucky that I am a well prepared for anything kind of dad. Well, the chicken waffle sandwich comes with a honey to drizzle over it and its infused with some flavors to change things up a bit. This is a good thing. The bad thing is that they dont have a bathroom or sink to wash up afterwards at. WTF!!! you expect ppl eating honey based grub with their hands to use paper napkins to clean up???

Are you a bunch of frigging idiots?

PRO TIP #2: Bring a bunch of baby wipes or wet naps. Otherwise anticipate you will be covered in sticky honey sauce!

Seating is all outdoor picnic table or wall bar style. You may want to use your wet naps on your seat and the table as well! they were sticky as can be for me.

My friend who I met for lunch here got a salad and it was very expensive and didnt give her very much food (lettuce even) for the amount she paid. My food was average. I didnt think it was all that, let alone worth the cost that they charged. Its a very disappointing situation to be honest.

PRO TIP #3: If you must endure a meal here, use the restroom before you come here!

I think its primary reason for having been made such a trendy place is two-fold. Location and location. Its right next to Chapman University and its on the edge of the Orange Circle!

So yeah if you are a hipster, like paying too much for too little, and being expected to be an animal, bring your bootie over here. If you are a little bit more intelligent, I doubt you will like this place that much...

Trina D.

5 stars all the way! For those people complaining that this place serves Eggo waffles, they have got to be kidding me. This place serves deliciously crispy, yet fluffy waffle sandwiches. DELICIOUS, I say!!!! I ordered the buttermilk fried chicken waffle sandwich, lemon cream with berries, and a strawberry custard shake to share. Can I just say that I'm a little sad that it's over?!

Bruxie is a gem worth going back to and now I know that Sunday is an excellent day to go because parking is a little bit better in old town Orange on Sundays, I will be back to satisfy my waffle cravings. When you do go, please learn to parallel park! I can't stress this enough. Luckily, when we arrived the line was thankfully short and there were tables available.

The fried chicken waffle is served with coleslaw and a light honey glaze. It was so delightful that I had to double check what I was actually consuming. The chicken was pounded thin with a crispy buttermilk batter surrounded by a light layer of crunchy slaw and a drizzle of honey. Oh my goodness, it was scrumptious. The lemon cream with berries waffle was also equally delicious; it was filled with, you guessed it, lemon cream and FRESH berries, with a light sprinkling of powdered sugar. I saw that they had a strawberry creme brulée waffle on the specials board and I am now very sorry that I did not order it. Alas, the line became longer while we ate and I was decidedly full after consuming my food. The strawberry custard shake was very good; however, my only complaint was that it wasn't ice cold. It was as if they used cold milk and cold custard but the result was something slightly cooler than room temperature. My only thought was they should serve it in an ice cold cup but it came in a plastic cup and wasn't very cold. Oh well. Now I know. The shakes are delicious but not for a warm day. It still doesn't deter me from giving them 5 stars. The service was excellent and everyone there seemed to like being there. When they realized that we intended to share the waffle sandwiches they asked if we wanted them cut in half. Awesome service! Kudos to them for having heat lamps for their outdoor only seating. Also they don't have restrooms for paying customers either but there is a sign posted stating just that. No matter, this place rocks and I shall return!

Sharon F

Who doesn't love a good waffle? Now make it into a sandwich. Bruxie is known for it's great waffle sandwiches with inventive flavors. However, being gfree I didn't really really get the full experience, but did love their many dessert shakes/drinks. There's a pretty long line most weekends and there is no indoor seating.

Jimmy Cheng
    5 Nov 25, 2012

They put everything in a nice crispy waffle. The vanilla shake is to die for.

daniellewillis713