Buca Di Beppo

80 W Green St, Pasadena, CA 91105

• Buca Di Beppo

Definitely haven't been missing much by not trying Buca di Beppo when I had many chances, nor will I be returning to any Buca di Beppo locations anytime soon. Buca di Beppo specializes in housing large parties, making big bucks off of customers ordering the large sizes of their dishes; I came with a party of 5 other people, all of us pretty hungry and yet we still ordered three small entrees and two small appetizers. I felt like the server really tried to push us to order large sizes, and seemed a bit deflated because we decided on small. I really think they encourage people to order large sizes of their dishes because the prices would be much more worth it than ordering a small - for example the fried calamari is $13.99 for a small, but $18.99 for a large; of course it would be more worth your money to order a large. I don't know how much more food they give you, but it is not cheap to order a small portion size. Everything definitely adds up.

I feel like Buca tries to bank on the "neat" posters, pictures of the family members, weird decorations as an appeal to draw back customers. I thought it was a bit too much. There wasn't any order, nor was there taste (in my opinion) and it just seemed so cluttered. I saw a big round table with a man in the middle of the turnabout which could be interesting at first, but would weird me out if I was eating and he was in front of me watching me eat. Overall I just found the atmosphere of Buca quite tacky. At the same time, the wait staff seemed to be more interested in chatting with each other than helping us. We had to ask for sets of utensils more than once to different waiters because our waitress could not be found. And when we wanted a few boxes, she disappeared so we had to flag down somebody else.

As for the food - I really don't see how it stands out from other restaurants. We had ordered the fried calamari and the mozzarella garlic bread (which was recommended by our server). Nothing special about the garlic bread. I think I've eaten better ones that were frozen and I toasted up in a toaster oven. The fried calamari didn't really appeal to me either. The calamari bits were so small. I had better at Kabuki. It wasn't bad, but definitely not worth the 14 bucks.

For our entrees, we had ordered the spicy chicken rigatoni and the shrimp fra diavolo. They both tasted exactly the same, both spicy except that one dish had chicken and the other didn't. That was all I could make out (besides the different pasta they had used). We also ordered a small Spicy Arrabbiata pizza. That was the best of the meal. Even though the pizza was extremely oily and nothing out of the ordinary, it was decent.

And we had a tiramisu for dessert - too full to even finish it, but it was quite tasty. I liked the overall taste of it and it did end the dinner on a good note. The server had gone around to all the tables with a huge model of the desserts to show us what it would entail. Looked great, but also looked way too much! Overall dinner was really expensive and much too heavy.

tl;dr nothing out of the ordinary. I would not recommend eating here, but if you do find yourself at a Buca's, to order a pizza and dessert.

Recommended for:Family TravelersFoodies
  • Buca Di BeppoPro 2014

I want to like this place, I really do, but...nope, it's about worth 3 stars. And most of that comes from the great wait staff they have at the restaurant and the cute ambiance. The food is pretty average, and though you do get a lot most of the time I wouldn't bother with the pizza, it's not only sub-par in taste but I could take the whole thing down on my own! Also, don't bother with the free birthday sundae unless you like really dry tasteless brownies. Not really worth the awkward song accompanying it either. However, if your favorite type of Italian fare is Olive Garden and you have a large group, this isn't the worst spot either, but for me with or without a small group, I'd probably go for something else.

Recommended for:Budget Travelers