Burma Superstar Restaurant

Spiritual Seekers

• Burma Superstar RestaurantPro 2014
    Wanugee
    4 Dec 08, 2013

Well this location of the popular Burnese restaurant is nicer than the San Francisco one by far, with a lot less wait.

I never understood why thousands of Yelpers would wait 2 hours in San Francisco's Clement Street, Richmond District to eat at Burma Super Star. It is cramped (almost elbow to elbow cramped), shabby in decor, slow service, and the food is good, not fantastic. So why so many 4 and 5 star reviews?

I figure it was all a bunch of Politcally Correct, Socially Conscious, Bleeding Heart Liberal SF'ers trying to show their trendy support to the Burmese democracy movement by eating here. Suffering like Suu Kyi' and her long stint under house arrest, and supporting her by waiting in line endlessly here.

But this location in Alameda has none of the bad factors of the Clement street location, and all of the good. It is cleaner, newer decor, better service, and you barely have to wait.

We split the popular Rainbow Salad (#12, $9), which is a fresh and tasty salad with 22 ingredients, nicely organized, then promptly mixed for you by your server (after the foodies take their pics, of course!). The menu is not huge with variety, but good enough choices for an occasional visit. For lunch after the salad, my friend had the Lamb Kebat (#73, $10) with Tan Poi rice, which is like a basmati type long grain with spices, like cormoran ($0.50 extra). I had the Fiery Chicken Tofu (#33, $8) with Brown rice. We really liked both of these dishes. The Fiery chicken wasn't too spicy, but you can ask to make it more. The Kebat wasn't spicy either, but tasty.

Sodas are $1.50. So the prices are not too bad at all for lunch, and we were pleasantly stuffed afterwards with a total of about $30 with tax. We did come late for lunch, toward the backend of the rush, and left at 2:45 on a Thursday, and there was no wait.

I would recommend this location over the San Francisco one, if you haven't been yet. I believe they have another location in the Temescal area of Oakland, too. I might have to try that next.

So all that waiting for 2 hours by those 5,000 Yelp reviewers at the Clement Street location worked!, since Suu Kyi is now a member of the Burmese parliament. So don't consider yourself just a foodie, but a volunteer for global democracy!

Your chant and cry for Democracy?

Nom Nom!

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFamily TravelersFoodiesVegetarian
  • Burma Superstar RestaurantPro 2014
    Eric Brink
    5 Feb 01, 2013

I don't know who you are
    But you must be some kind of Burma SuperStar....

One of my co-workers has been Home for several weeks after a shoulder operation. When he left work back then, he told me that he was so over this place. Now that cabin fever has set in, he can't wait to get back. He's a great guy and an excellent professional, and I'm happy that he'll be returning soon.

In the meantime, I offered to drive to Alameda to take him to a Lunch place of his choice. He immediately mentioned Burma SuperStar and raved about the good food and crazy Asian flavours. Why not?

We arrived at ~12:30 with no line and immediate seating at a table near the front window. My friend wanted me to try a variety of dishes including:

Tea Leaf Salad (nicely explained and mixed at the table)
    Burmese Casserole
    Mango Chicken
    Fried String Beans
    Coconut Rice
    Black Rice Pudding for Dessert

It was all super delicious and involved enough food that I stretched the leftovers into 2 additional meals. The decor was comfortable and well appointed, the service was attentive and friendly, and our conversation was fun and engaging. There was also a neat mix of fellow customers and some excellent people watching opportunities. All this together made for a fantastic outing!

I understand that this place gets busier in the evening and I would like to think that customer care and feeding stays at this high level during those peak periods. I'm sure I'll be back regardless of what time of day.

I'll be your groupie baby
    Cuz you are my Burma SuperStar....

DGDoyle

Local version of a Bay Area legend. Good veggie options include garlic fried noodles and pumpkin tofu. Friendly staff too!

CallMeCorny