BXL Cafe

125 W 43rd St, New York, NY 10036

• BXL CafePro 2014
    Frances Nguyen
    5 Aug 14, 2013

The best mussels and fries. EVER! BXL Cafe is a Belgian restaurant and serves fantastic mussels and fries. I ordered a big pot of mussels dipped in Thai curry sauce. It sounds weird to mix the two disparate flavors together, but they work amazingly well. Also, did I mention a pound of mussels and a huge portion of fries only costs $11? It's a fantastic deal and can easily serve 2 people. The french onion soup tastes excellent too. I can't wait to go back to BXL Cafe again.

• BXL CafePro 2014
    Rudy Grant
    5 Mar 12, 2013

This is a really cool Belguim Bar offering plenty of Belguim beers. There are so many mainstream Irish Pubs in NYC that when I saw this I was excited and not disappointed. Great little place to visit after work or after a long walk around Time Square. Great selection of beers and good company. This place shows nothing but the worlds most popular sport - Football aka soccer.

Rosemarie Gambetta

Belguim Restaurant Week starts today in New York City. Cheapeats got a sneak preview of Belgium’s tasty dishes at BXL East.

BXL East is a warm and casual cafe on East 51st Street that is reminiscent of a classic pub. Long wooden bar, wooden tables, chairs and floor that are slightly worn. great artwork, TV’s displaying the news and the latest games. But most of all, happy faces. I was honored to be asked to dine here by Liliane Opsomer – Deputy Director of the Tourist Office for Flanders, Belguim. One of the perks of the job. I’ve been to Belgium, so I was very excited to relive that experience again.

When I arrived at BXL, I was immediately greeted by a smile and a welcome. Good sign. I saw a woman waving at me from the bar and knew that was Liliane. We exchange a warm hello and immediately settle in. “Belgium is known for beer, so you must try one.” I’m not really a beer drinker, but when in Rome…… The knowledgeable bartender asked me what I normally drink. I’m simple…Wine. “Red or White?” “Red.” “Merlot, Cabernet, Pinot Noir?” “Cabernet.” He gets that I like a full bodied wine and immediately makes a recommendation that I’m sure to like. I taste a sample….ding, ding, ding…we have a winner. I wish I could remember the name of it, unfortunately I don’t. Bad girl. It was a full bodied ale with little carbonation. Perfect, now I’m ready for lunch.

Soon we’re met by the General Manager – Klaas Claes. Good food, good beer and a handsome European man….tough day at the office. Of course I order Moules & Frites, but take Klaas’ recommendation and try the Moules Grand Mere. With the smells coming from the kitchen, I can hardly wait.

Soon a pot is placed in front of me containing 2lbs of mussels dressed in a sauce of cream, bacon and onions. SINFUL. I don’t know how I’m going to eat this daintly but I’m going in. Plump and juicy morsels in this rich sauce that is savory with a hint of brandy/cognac, not sure. So decadent, so tasty and SO MUCH. No matter how much I was eating, the pot stayed full. Every Italian knows the best part of the meal is dunking your bread in sauce. So instead of dipping my frites in their traditional mayo, mine were soaking in that amazing sauce. Mmmm, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

As much as I loved this meal, I just couldn’t finish it. (Note to self, share this with someone) With no room for dessert, we enjoy an espresso and friendly conversation. When the check arrives, Klaas grabs it and thanks us for being his guests. Handsome and charming? Sigh.

I urge you to break out of your comfort zone and experience the cuisine of Belgium during Belgium Restaurant Week with BXL East being on the top of your list.

Thank you Liliane, Klaas, Chef and the entire staff at BXL East for an enjoyable and rememberable lunch. I will be back….there is a Pot Au Chocolate with my name on it.

Minh Lai

BXL is located near Times Square. They serve a pot of Belguim style mussels for a great price with frites/french fries!!! The garlic herb is my favorite. You might even bump into the owner there who is really friendly. Just walking by you'll notice the trade mark red scooter right outside of it.

Bill S.