Cafe Brasil

1410 Mission St, Santa Cruz, CA 95060

765 people visited Cafe Brasil

jewel
    4 Mar 16, 2014

Very good breakfast. Sometimes difficult to get a table or parking spot. Worth the wait. The coffee is amazing.

Owie
    4 Mar 08, 2014

Visiting one of my girlfriend in Santa Cruz for the day and playing catchup. I decided we should go to Cafe Brasil for their refreshing acai bowl and some fish polenta. The acai bowl itself could be a meal because I could not finish them myself.

The wait for this place can be long due to the small capacity, but well worth the wait. Service was fast and friendly. I think it is best to park around the corner for parking, otherwise you will be stuck parking next to the restaurant with limited parking.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodiesLocal CultureStudents
    kazu
    5 Jan 21, 2014

This restaurant has been around for a long time, and it's my and many local's favorite breakfast/brunch place. Recommended dishes are 1) "feijoada" meat/black bean stew, 2) beef a cavalo over slices of baguette with over easy egg on top, and 3) acai bowl with strawberries, banana, and granola..

Note that it's open only for breakfast and lunch.

Tip: When the place is full, which is pretty much every weekend, you can get your food to go, and there is a small park about a block behind it where you can sit and enjoy the food while looking at community organic garden next door or kids running around the play structure.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFamily TravelersFoodiesStudents
    Verlisia
    5 Nov 05, 2013

I thought this is just another one of those over-hyped spot. I was expecting to be underwhelmed. I left the restaurant feeling intrigued and satisfied. Within hours I was craving for more. If only it was not a 45 minutes drive from where I live.

Gallo Pinto (4/5 stars) - Simple yet tasty. The plantains were perfectly fried and not soaked in oil. The sauce that came with the dish was very delicious.
    Muquecas with Mixed Seafood (5/5 stars) - It was such an amazing dish I am at loss for words. Try it and you will understand.

For drink I ordered the Caju (5/5 stars). I had never had (or even heard of) cashew juice before. It has a crisp yet sweet taste that was very refreshing. Unfortunately I was too full to try the Acai Bowl that everyone recommended.

If you are in the Santa Cruz area remember to try this restaurant. The wait could be long (why wouldn't it?) but I can assure you it is totally worth it. The food is solid 5 stars.

Recommended for:FoodiesStudentsTrendstersVegetarian
    Mia NeverQuit
    5 Nov 04, 2013

If I lived close enough to Santa Cruz, I would eat at Cafe Brasil for the majority of my week. I love this place so much. A friend of mine, Chelsea Leonard, brought me here and I have been paying it forward ever since. I have actually told many of my friends to come to this restaurant even when I'm not going with them. I'm talking about finding out on facebook that friends of mine (from the Sacramento valley or somewhere even farther away) are vacationing in Santa Cruz and I'm commenting on their status "DO NOT LEAVE UNTIL YOU HAVE EATEN AT CAFE BRASIL!" 100% of the people who were able to take my advice have appreciated me for it. I live in Half Moon Bay, so it's not too hard to go there when I am having a craving. The 45+ min drive is always worth it. My favorite dish is the Gallo Pinto. They really know how to cook up some plantain as well, which happens to be included with the dish. The costa rican sauce that comes with it ties the entire dish together. And, if you really love the sauce (as much as I do), they sell it by the bottle right in the restaurant. Another favorite of mine is the Acai Bowl. I usually get the junior so that I can still fit in my main course. It is so refreshing and delicious. They offer a regular size and a junior size because it's actually quite perfect as a light, healthy, refreshing breakfast in and of itself. Another thing I love about this place is it's portions and pricing. You get a lot of super delicious food and most everything is $9.75 or less. If you find yourself in Santa Cruz between 8am-3pm, you have to hit up Cafe Brasil. HAVE TO!

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFamily TravelersFoodiesVegetarian
    Lisa
    5 Jul 16, 2013

The best place to get breakfast in Santa Cruz. Arrive before 3pm or they will close. There are always a line to wait for a table. The breakfast is amazing!

Jessica Abramson
    4 Nov 03, 2013

Pretty good brunch food. My friends are totally obsessed, but I haven't quite hit that level. I really enjoyed my food, and I'd definitely go back. The only downside is the long wait for a table!

Kim T Nguyen
    4 Oct 25, 2012

Cafe Brasil is a busy place on the weekends but it is worth stopping by if you're in the Santa Cruz area. They are most known for their acai bowl, which is a must try. If you're here for lunch, I would recommend the steak ala francesa!

Arlo Hemphill
    5 Nov 03, 2013

If you're looking for breakfast in Santa Cruz, don't even think about going anywhere else. This is little Brazilian heaven knows what you need and gets it to you in heavy portions!

JohnMichael

Cafe Brasil? Brasil?!?!?
    In Santa Cruz??
    For breakfast?

Yeah, sure... why not! Where else is there to go after a long hike? Cafe Brasil for their pancakes. The healthiest choice around! They also have great shakes and fresh juices. Bannana shake and mango juice are my personal favorites. The watermelon juice on the other hand was not what she wanted... rather it was not what she ordered but ended up loving it anyways.
    ;P

No really... go here for the banana pancakes and other great authentic dishes they have going on here. She ordered me the feijoada completa and although it may not look like much it is AMAZING! I'm actually getting full just thinking about it. ZOMG! And for whatever reason I keep seeing the colors yellow and green in my mind. The color combinations running the breadth of the venue was quite festive and made me feel as if I were elsewhere other than mellow Santa Cruz.

And I also ran into a friend here.. rather ALMOST ran into her.... actually she spotted us and then confirmed with me later that it was indeed me. I told her that she should have just gone up to me and slapped me up side the head. Yes ZIRU.. I'm talking about you ZIRU!
    XD