California Science Center
Tribes: Who likes this place?
What the scores mean:
These scores tell you how well-liked a place is in each Tribe. Gogobot Tribes are groups who share a certain travel style, like Family Travelers or History Buffs.
Which Gogobot Tribe do you belong to?Join now
- 98%Family Travelers
- 63%History Buffs
- 56%Budget Travelers
- 54%Local Culture
- 54%Art & Design Lovers
- 51%Business Travelers
Member Reviews (46)
- California Science CenterMember ofAdventure TravelersLocal CultureBudget Travelers+ 4Dec 03, 2013
California Science Center is located in Exposition Park in Los Angeles, established in 1951. It is the biggest science center in the west coast!
Here is the list of exhibits in the center.
Special Exhibits - Always something new.
Ecosystems - Focus all aspect of live on Planet Earth.
Creative World - Focus in structure and technology advancement.
World of Life - Focus in how human body cell works.
Air and Space Exhibits - Focus in human exploring the space.
Science Court - Cool High-Wire Bicycle and Motion-Based Simulator.
Science Plaza - Outside of the building, feature unique galleries.
* Lot Parking is $10 but the street parking is free on Sunday.
* It opens from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily except few holidays.
* Admission is free except
- California Science CenterMember ofAdventure TravelersLocal CultureOutdoor Enthusiasts+ 7Sep 13, 2013
So you wanna do something for nothing eh? Wanna be entertained? or better yet have your munchkin entertained? Not have to wait for ride lines, interact with jackwagons? see some truly awesome artifacts? and waste a half a day with your kids or date running you round and round in circles? well get your sorry azz ovah hea!
Pro Tip #1: Parking is $10, but entrance is FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
The munchkin loved it... i was kinda ehh... but we still are ending up back here regularly. I have been here 3 times in the last 4 months I think! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!
So this Science Museum is different than the ones I have been to in Chicago and at the Smithsonian. It is a Kids Science Museum! yes this is both good and bad. It has a lot of kewl information, especially for the young ones. There are some things that stand out to me even with its being a primarily kids oriented joint:
* They have multiple space capsules (apollo, soyouz, etc)
* They have a charge for deal to see the space shuttle Endeavor
* They have a couple of fighter trainer aircraft, a biplane, and this is NOT an Air & Space museum even if they have a YF12A outside...
* They have a lot of how things work videos/interactive displays that kids gobble up. my daughter couldnt stop hitting buttons all day
* Great lift/drag wind displays, go here if its super hot and you need to cool down
* Earthquake ride ehhhh sampling area =P
* Several pay for rides/displays as well. The Endeavor was the most well known of those ones...
* A giant swag shop
* The big M supper club also has space on the ground floor...
So overall they have a bunch going on, but it is much more child oriented which is great for parents, and most parents love seeing their kids learn... or they should and if they dont they are EVIL parents hahaha yeah I said it E-V-I-L!
Pro Tip #2: You can visit this museum and the natural history museum without moving parking lots and they are right next to each other... I almost ran into another parent with their kids here that I know as well... but that is tough since its a huge place... I hope you enjoy your trek here!
ohhh well, why havent you left yet?
- California Science CenterMember ofAdventure TravelersOutdoor EnthusiastsFoodies+ 1May 07, 2013
I liked the science centre before, and now that the endeavour is nesting there, I really love it. It's a great place to spend an afternoon - good for out of town visitors and parental units. some hands on exhibits, as well as revolving exhibits that require special ticketing. there's a huge rose garden right outside as well, which is lovely to picnic and walk in.
- California Science CenterMember ofAdventure TravelersLocal CultureOutdoor Enthusiasts+ 2Dec 09, 2013
It doesn't compare to Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry but with the addition of spaceship Endeavor the comparison is no longer embarrassing. Other exhibits have been added and improved. The Science Center is definitely on an upward swing. A great place to take kids where adults won't get bored.
- California Science CenterMember ofAdventure TravelersLocal CultureOutdoor Enthusiasts+ 6Sep 04, 2013
Of course the best part of the CA Science Center is to see the Endeavour shuttle in person. Admission to the center is completely free, but reserve a time slot to see the Endeavour online to avoid long waits (it costs just a few dollars to reserve). To see the space shuttle up close is so cool. They are working on creating a new exhibit so you can see the space shuttle at difference levels as it sits vertically. There are also quite a few IMAX movies related to space and nature that you can check out for a fee. The movie I saw was much older so it wasn't as clear as movies are these days, but it was still impressive to see what astronauts see in space. The rest of the center has some smaller exhibits that are fun for kids as they are interactive. However, most of them are old and don't work extremely well (if they work at all), and don't provide any explanation on what you force or action you are imitating in nature.