California Science Center
Tribes: Who likes this place?
What the scores mean:
These scores tell you how well-liked a place is in each Tribe. Gogobot Tribes are groups who share a certain travel style, like Family Travelers or History Buffs.
Which Gogobot Tribe do you belong to?Join now
- 98%Family Travelers
- 63%History Buffs
- 56%Budget Travelers
- 54%Local Culture
- 54%Art & Design Lovers
- 51%Business Travelers
Member Reviews (46)
- California Science CenterMember ofHistory BuffsLocal CultureOutdoor Enthusiasts+ 7Sep 13, 2013
So you wanna do something for nothing eh? Wanna be entertained? or better yet have your munchkin entertained? Not have to wait for ride lines, interact with jackwagons? see some truly awesome artifacts? and waste a half a day with your kids or date running you round and round in circles? well get your sorry azz ovah hea!
Pro Tip #1: Parking is $10, but entrance is FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
The munchkin loved it... i was kinda ehh... but we still are ending up back here regularly. I have been here 3 times in the last 4 months I think! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!
So this Science Museum is different than the ones I have been to in Chicago and at the Smithsonian. It is a Kids Science Museum! yes this is both good and bad. It has a lot of kewl information, especially for the young ones. There are some things that stand out to me even with its being a primarily kids oriented joint:
* They have multiple space capsules (apollo, soyouz, etc)
* They have a charge for deal to see the space shuttle Endeavor
* They have a couple of fighter trainer aircraft, a biplane, and this is NOT an Air & Space museum even if they have a YF12A outside...
* They have a lot of how things work videos/interactive displays that kids gobble up. my daughter couldnt stop hitting buttons all day
* Great lift/drag wind displays, go here if its super hot and you need to cool down
* Earthquake ride ehhhh sampling area =P
* Several pay for rides/displays as well. The Endeavor was the most well known of those ones...
* A giant swag shop
* The big M supper club also has space on the ground floor...
So overall they have a bunch going on, but it is much more child oriented which is great for parents, and most parents love seeing their kids learn... or they should and if they dont they are EVIL parents hahaha yeah I said it E-V-I-L!
Pro Tip #2: You can visit this museum and the natural history museum without moving parking lots and they are right next to each other... I almost ran into another parent with their kids here that I know as well... but that is tough since its a huge place... I hope you enjoy your trek here!
ohhh well, why havent you left yet?
- California Science CenterMember ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsBudget Travelers+ 11Nov 06, 2013
One of the highlights of the California Science Center is the Space Shuttle Endeavor, a must-see for science buffs of all ages. Be sure to plan a whole afternoon here so you and the family have plenty of time to check out all of the exciting permanent exhibits.
- California Science CenterAmbassadorMember ofStudentsBackpackersOct 26, 2013
This isn't your ordinary museum, and people of all ages will enjoy it: even my 2 and 3-year old cousins were racing around, trying out the different scientific exhibits and galleries, or standing enthralled by the mind-boggling displays of scientific discovery. If you have an ounce of curiosity in your blood, you'll enjoy this place...especially since admission is free.Recommended for:Students
- California Science CenterMember ofOutdoor EnthusiastsFamily TravelersBackpackersSep 13, 2013
This is a great place to take the kids. They have a blast you actually learn a little something too. There are lots of hands on exhibits. There is also a couple of fast food restaurants if you get hungry because you can spend all day there easily.
- California Science CenterMember ofOutdoor EnthusiastsBudget TravelersFamily Travelers+ 1Sep 13, 2013
It's really nice if you are into the sciences, especially for kids, even at a very young age. We were there when the kid was about a year and a half, he enjoyed it thoroughly. And it's free!
- California Science CenterMember ofFoodiesBackpackersAdventure TravelersSep 13, 2013
This was a really cool museum! First of all, it's on a donation basis so you can get in free. There were tons of cool hands-on exhibits. I especially liked the infrared screen. The reason I didn't give this four stars was that it was just packed with small children. Don't get me wrong, I like kids, but I couldn't do a lot of the stuff because it was occupied.
- California Science CenterSep 13, 2013
I came mainly to see Endeavor. The museum had a great setup for the shuttle itself even though they have to wind you through the museum somewhat oddly to get there. I loved it though. Otherwise they have a great setup and if you're looking to entertain kids or just have an enjoyable afternoon of Science - this is place.
- California Science CenterMember ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsBudget Travelers+ 4Sep 13, 2013
Very enjoyable science museum with tons of hands on exhibits. Great for taking a child to learn about science. The 3D IMAX is quite fantastic as well and definitely check out the Endeavour space shuttle while you're there!