California Theatre

345 South First Street, San Jose, CA

Rhia R.
    4 Nov 01, 2013

I can't believe I never experienced this when I was still living in San Jose. The place is beautiful! I watched How To Be for Cinequest here. The balcony seating is great because it's arranged in a way where you won't have anyone blocking your view. That, and I wish I had their bathroom in my home; from the black granite counter top to the light fixtures. I would love to return to this wonderful little gem in downtown SJ.

Recommended for:Art & Design LoversLocal CultureNightlife Lovers
    Verlisia
    5 Oct 31, 2013

I watched Wicked at Orpheum Theatre a week ago and I thought to myself... if only there's such a theater in South Bay....

A week later I went to California Theatre the first time for Cinequest Opening Night. How could I not even noticed this beautiful place before? Maybe I was too preoccupied. Maybe I was too distracted.

I love the uncanny old time Broadway charm of this theater. Who would have thought I would be attracted to something so old fashion.

I look forward to watching another movie or show at this theater. I wish I could just get lost in my dreams and imagination for a day at this place.

Recommended for:Art & Design LoversLocal CultureStudents
    Connie Pistilli
    5 Aug 03, 2013

What a grand and opulent theatre! This is easily my favorite historic landmark in San Jose, and truly a venue that everyone should visit. I wish they played movies here on a regular basis, but every time the Cinequest Film Festival rolls around, I make sure to catch a film here. The theatre is home to the Symphony, so I'll definitely be back for a concert.

Recommended for:Art & Design LoversHistory BuffsLocal Culture
    doodles
    5 Sep 09, 2012

Seeing the Pearl Fishers (what beautiful arias) at Opera San Jose. This is the little opera company that could! Always put on such wonderfully grand productions!!!

Andrew Whitfield

The home of Opera San Jose. This theater is a beautiful reconstructed movie theater retrofitted to be able to accommodate the demands of Grand Opera. The acoustics in the hall are sensational making even the most pedestrian voices sounds exquisite. Fortunately Opera San Jose finds some very talented young singers to assume the lead roles.

Jason Flegel
    LGBT
    5 Feb 10, 2013

356 people visited California Theatre

Do you remember the first time you went to a theater or a cinema? Did you have that magical feeling of awe of the huge screen and aroma of freshly buttered popcorn? The California Theatre in San Jose, California is the perfect place to immerse yourself in the majestic opulence of the golden age of cinema. This vintage theatre has been recently renovated to restore the operatic splendor of its 1927 ... read more
theme. Working as both a cinema as well as a venue for live performance, the California Theatre can seat a little over 1,000 people and greets you from the street with a huge cascading lighted sign as well as an old-fashioned marquee.

The Fairmont San Jose