166 people visited Carmela Ice Cream

Spiritual Seekers

Jennifer N.
    4 Nov 30, 2013

I heart Ice cream. It's my all time favorite dessert and Carmela is one of my favorite Artisan ice cream shop. It's a small shop off of Washington Blvd by the 210 Freeway. Street parking is an hassle. Until now, I don't even know if you can park in the back parking lot.

Line can be long. It's a hit and missed and they are pretty slow in service so prepare to wait. NO seats available except for a small bench outside the shop..

I've tried STRAWBERRY BUTTERMILK which was delicious! You can taste the real strawberry and the texture of buttermilk (a good thing).
    The SALTED CARAMEL is so good as well. These two flavors together is a tasty mix!

I've tasted my friends' other flavors such as CUCUMBER which is incredibly sweet! Way too sweet! CANTALOUPE was a good flavor as well.

They're scoops are pretty small so don't worry, go ahead and get a 2 scooper.
    1 scoop= $3.50 2 scoops $4.50 and 3 scoops is $5.50. It's a good idea to share a 3 scoopers with a friend or two because it's a better deal!

Yulree Chun "@GogobotLA"
    5 Oct 21, 2013

Oh my effin g, Carmela takes farmers market ingredients and creates the most natural and delicious tasting ice cream and sorbets. One taste is all it takes to be convinced that they have the best ice cream in LA.

• Carmela Ice CreamCommunity ManagerPro 2014
    Audrey Lo "@GogobotAudrey"
    5 Oct 17, 2013

You can find many unique ice cream flavors here!! My favorite is the lavender honey. Many people enjoy the salted caramel and their strawberry. There’s also a guinness flavor thats good too. You can buy the ice cream by pints and they also have premade ice cream sandwiches you can get from the little freezer.

Recommended for:FoodiesStudentsTrendsters
  • Carmela Ice CreamPro 2014
    Grace C.
    4 Jul 10, 2013

HOMEMADE ICE CREAM. need I say more?

My brother brought me here after some dinner. The flavor change. He mentioned they had rocky road before with homemade marshmallows. WHAT? O_o I want that, but alas that wasn't an option the night we went.

There is no place to eat inside, you literally walk in and there is a counter and a little freezer cart (for those who want to take a pint home). The flavors are listed on the chalkboard wall. They also have espresso based drinks. Which then leads to - you can get an affogato. SOLD. I got the affogato with the recommended Brown Sugar Vanilla Bean ice cream. SO GOOD. She put in quite a lot of ice cream to go with the espresso, so unfortunately for this lactose intolerant lady, I was only able to enjoy half before I felt like I was going to die. My bro got the mint chip which we both commented tasted like you were actually eating mint leaves instead of the more the pepperminty flavor you usually get with mint chip ice cream.

Love the place, can't wait to go back.

travel33
    5 Oct 27, 2012

I'm going through a ice cream sandwich phase. I don't normally like to eat just ice cream on a cone or cup BUT if you slap two cookies on each side, I'm there!!

I stop by the Hollywood Farmers market from time to time (Sundays). Each time I've seen Carmela Ice Cream truck parked near the corner of Selma/Ivar but I've never tried it. Today, I saw the magic words "ice cream sandwich" and "salted caramel". There were about 5 people in line at 11AM. You can also get ice cream in a cup - some of the flavors were green tea, rocky road, earl grey and they had sorbets as well. They will give a little sample to taste if you ask.

Of course I ordered the salted caramel ice cream sandwich ($5) and it was delicious!!! The caramel ice cream was between two chocolate cookies with a little sea salt sprinkled on the actual cookies. The sandwich itself was on the smaller side but who cares! The guy selling the ice cream was so enthusiastic. He told us that everything was homemade, even the caramel they use to make my ice cream! My sister had the mint chip sandwich. He said the mint leaves were purchased at the hollywood farmers market and they also mix in spearmint. She LOVED it!

On a beautiful sunny day, eating Carmela's Ice Cream and strolling the Farmers Market can't be beat!

Richard P
    5 Oct 13, 2012

There is nothing like a nice big ice cream cone on a hot day. My friends and I went on a hike at Eaton Canyon and I was very excited because I knew Carmela Ice Cream was nearby. After completing a long hike on a warm day we all were looking forward to trying some delicious ice cream. To my surprise Carmela was even closer than I though (less then .5 miles away).

The guy working there was very nice. He was willing to let us try all their various flavors, while also explained the ingredients that go into their product. Apparently they use organic dairy and all the fresh ingredients come from the farmers market!

The Ice Cream was AWESOME. I ordered a scoop of the Salted Caramel while my friend got the Strawberry Buttermilk. Both were delicious. The cone was also very good. The make their waffle cones fresh!

I would definitely come here again. They probably make some of the best ice cream I have ever had. It is a bit pricey at $4.50 a scoop, but sometimes you just have to indulge.

Catherine
    5 Oct 02, 2012

I love the ice cream here! They have unique flavors (lavender, cucumber sorbet, salted caramel), but the best part of it all is that they make all their own ice cream right there in the store. They use organic ingredients too. The owners are SUPER friendly and down to earth. It's a little pricey, but so worth it!

Becky M.
    5 Jul 21, 2012

You have to drive a little bit out of the way to find Carmela, but it is really worth it -- and lots of people agree, because there are always other people there. Their flavors are great and the ingredients taste fresh. Most importantly, all of the flavors I've ever had there have had a great, creamy texture. Lemon verbena is fantastic and I have heard rumors that they have pumpkin pie ice cream in the fall!

Mario Saverino
    5 Jul 17, 2012

Carmela Ice Cream is one of the best ice creams I have tasted in a very long time. It's amazing and very fresh. You can taste the love that goes into each and every flavor.
    If you are in the area this should be your number one stop. You won't be disappointed.