CarneVino

3325 South Las Vegas Blvd, Vegas, NV 89109

• CarneVinoPro 2014

My friends and I spent another wonderful evening at Carnevino during our last trip to Vegas. We made last minute reservations for 12 people. The restaurant is big enough to accommodate large groups. It's a bit of a maze, so pay attention when you walk all the way to the back of the restaurant. The staff was once again very knowledgeable about the food and made suggestions accordingly. They didn't offer sangria, but the waiter suggested a Sangiovese mixed drink that tasted like crushed strawberries. It was so refreshing and hit the spot. I tried the veal saltimbocca & bacon-wrapped asparagus. The veal was salty as it should be. The asparagus was perfectly breaded, crunchy, and crisp. My friends ordered the lamb chops with mint pesto, osso bucco, beef carpaccio, seafood spaghetti, la fiorentina, and the filet mignon. All of the dishes were delicious. One of my friends ordered the caprese salad to start and we were delighted that the mozzarella was freshly hand-pulled and creamy. The combination of tomato, basil, and mozzarella was divine! Another great experience in Las Vegas.

Recommended for:Business TravelersFamily TravelersFoodiesLuxury Travelers
  • CarneVinoAmbassadorPro 2014

Stopped here for a great lunch with friends. Service was excellent. Both of my friends had the burger - crazy good - I was still a little full from the night before and had a duck ravioli thing (it was like a roll of noodle, with duck meatiness in the middle), and a salad (nice and light). I'll definitely be back for steak!

• CarneVinoPro 2014

My girlfriends and I were out celebrating a birthday. Well, we were really in Vegas for that, but I digress.

A surefire way to get all dressed up for a fancypants dinner, we made reservations per the request of the birthday girl, and were all set to head out here.

One of my friends and I shared the Rib Eye for two. However, they seemed to have gotten our doneness switched with our other friend's fillet. We weren't sure, but we just chugged along. The other got the potato gnocchi and considering she had nothing else left on her plate.... I wish I lived there just so I could take over the left overs, but instead I gave my leftovers to the one I shared with since she lives there.

We also had the the cauliflower and the mashed potatoes. They put a poached egg in the potatoes. um. okay. sure. They were okay sides.

Desserts. OH MY! I would go back just for the desserts.

The service was great. They took care of us. Thanks.

But looks like Prime at Bellagio is still my go to steakhouse in Vegas.

• CarneVino

If you're looking for the place with my favorite steak...in LV (and one of my favorite steaks in the US), it's here! It's not on the menu, but you can request a "riserva" steak. They offer it in rib eye or porterhouse. Generally only available for dinner, but if you poke and prod enough, they'll yield and serve you one for lunch. Most make arrangements in advance to have one for your reservation...but I just happened to be lucky and was able to get the chef to serve me one.

Anyway, what's so special about this steak? Well, given that this restaurant is a monster 500+ cover steakhouse, it also has a monster sized inventory of steaks off site. At any given time they have roughly a half-million dollars of inventory to keep the restaurant going. (And if the temperature goes out of tolerance, or if there's any kind of failure in the system, it automatically sends a text message to the chef of the restaurant, Joe Bastianich, and Mario Batalli! Yep, they take it pretty seriously) Of this huge inventory there's a small portion of steaks that they keep for the riserva program.

If they like the look of a particular side, they'll age it for anywhere from 8-11 months. This is a looooooong time, considering typical dry aging is more on the scale of 20-30 days. Sounds almost gimmicky "oooo, long aging is good...let's just age longer!" but after having the steak, I'd have to say that it is something that is culinarily unique. Yes, the riservas definitely take on blue cheese and aged ham notes...but I really enjoyed them. I also happened to have it right next to one of their "normal" rib eyes and while the regular stuff is pretty awesome in its own right...the riserva is a whole different animal. Anyway, steaks can be very different things in different countries...and I'd definitely say that this particular example is definitely worth seeking out.

The only other similar program that I know of is at David Burke's Primehouse in Chicago. They do things a little differently over there though...but that's a story for another time!

• CarneVino

Seafood pasta was too salty and the steaks were only so-so. CUT is a way better option.

Mario Batalli- end of story