Going to Bend, Oregon, USA
Who's on this trip?
Trip Plan Details
- McMenamins Old St. Francis School700 NW Bond St, Bend, ORrecommended McMenamins Old St. Francis SchoolGayle and I were driving up from the Bay Area to Pasco WA for a Family Wedding and decided to hang out in Bend for the afternoon and stay the night. Her 2 sons and their families did the same, ... read morealthough we arrived several hours earlier. By the time we all got together, everyone wanted a bit to eat and the Old St. Francis School came highly recommended for a group like us. Folks seem to love or hate the McMenamins chain of bars, restaurants, and hotels, but I have always found their business model and execution of it to be fascinating. The old Poor House at Edgefield (outside of Portland) is like an adult amusement park. And then there's the Kennedy School (also in the Rose City) which like Old St. Francis has been lovingly re-purposed, while keeping much of the original academic charm. One of these times, I'd actually like to stay overnight and maybe see if rooms like Altar Boys are really haunted. All of us had a great evening here. The highlight was our waiter who really knew how to charm Gayle's 5 year-old granddaughter. Her mother (who is a waitress) was especially impressed with his ability to speak directly to the Kid and help her make informed menu choices. Plus it didn't hurt to be served a cherry lemonade in addition to the Shirley Temple that was ordered. Gayle and I split the Halibut, which was not only delicious, but along with a few group shared appetizers was about the right amount of food. I also ordered a cup of some sort of corn chowder which was "lick the bowl" good. The rest of the Family enjoyed their choices as well. There was also beer and wine all around and the evening easily turned into a comfortable and fun family gathering. Yes the McMenamin's food and drink "Deal" is very similar in each of their unique properties. And in Bend, there just might be better dining options out there. Yet as I continue to receive a total service/food/atmosphere experience the exceeds the sum of their parts, you'll find me at a McMenamin's every time I'm within a few miles.Recommended for:Family TravelersEric Brink
Another fine architectural preservation by the McMenamins Chain. Non-Alcoholic drinks are also readily available.
- McMenamins Old St Francis School700 Nw Bond St, Bend, OR 97701
- Westside Bakery & Cafe1005 Nw Galveston Ave, Bend, OR 97701
- Deschutes Brewery901 Southwest Simpson Avenue, Bend, OR, United States
- Lava River CavesSisters-Millican
- Bend Brewing Company1019 Nw Brooks St, Bend, OR 97701recommended Bend Brewing CompanyOregon has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to great beer and I'm sure we missed some other great opportunity when Gayle and I decided to stop at the Bend Brewing Company for Lunch. Patience ... read moreyoung grasshopper...the Beaver State is not done with me yet! My only complaint about the Bend Brewing Company is that although the Patio does indeed enjoy a view of Mirror Pond, there's a "bit" of real estate in between. However, the outdoor deck was pleasant and a little shade under the umbrella on this gloriously warm day didn't hurt. Service was friendly and efficient and both Gayle and I enjoyed just hanging out, catching up, and enjoying each others company. Of course I went for the strongest IPA that they had, while Gayle went for for something a bit less hoppy. The beer went well with a slightly unusual but delicious Lava Butte Turkey Melt (sliced turkey, melted brie cheese, poached pears and fresh spinach served on ciabatta bread). Gayle went for the Tri Tip spinach salad. Both of our appetites were strong to the finich because we eats our..... toot-toot!Recommended for:Eric Brink
One of many Beer Places in Bend. You might as well give in to the Dark Side....starting with a good Stout!
- Zydeco Kitchen & Cocktails919 Nw Bond St, #101, Bend, OR 97701
commented on this trip
If you're traveling to Bend during ski season, you must make a side trip to Bachelor Mt. If it's summer, take your bike and golf clubs!
- Marche296 E 5th Ave, Ste 310, Eugene, OR 97401recommended MarcheMy favorite reviewer on Gogobot 'liked' Marche, so I thought I'd try it out. And, yup, it was fantastic. It was quite chic for Eugene -- very French bistro-ish. I had the butternut squash pizza with ... read morewhite truffle oil, and we started with cornmeal-fried oysters. Very good food, and a very cute atmosphere. It's surrounded by a dozen other cute shops, including a gourmet store and a pet store with U of O dog supplies. Who doesn't need U of O dog supplies?Recommended for:Alex L
Are you heading to Eugene, as well? I don't know Bend (and Corvallis has *really* terrible restaurants), but if you're flying into or out of Eugene or going there as well, I really liked this restaurant.
commented on this trip
I met with the City of Bend once to talk to them about doing their website. We didn't get the job. But we did eat lunch there and have a beer. They had gluten free beer. Then I left.