Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels

555 West Temple Street, Los Angeles, CA

Spiritual Seekers

• Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels

This huge modern cathedral was built by Rafael Moneo, a Spanish architect who won the Pritzker Prize. It's a really striking building, and beautiful inside, in a slightly already-dated way. The one drawback is truly awful acoustics--the sound just bounces around inside. But definitely worth a stop on a stroll around downtown LA.

Recommended for:Art & Design Lovers
  • Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels

I usually don't review churches because I am always afraid of being struck down by lightning if I give a place of worship a bad review. XD.

First off, I've been to my share of Catholic churches and nothing compares to this Cathedral. The awe inspiring feeling I experienced can only be described by listening to this:

The marble floors, the tapestries on the sides with the saints, the lamps, angel candles, and the bronze crucifix are all embellished and give this cathedral a very modern feel. The baptism well is massive here and on the perimeter of the interior there are numerous art works that depict the stories of the saints. I also recommend going down stairs where the stations of the cross is.

Outdoors, there is a fountain with some lines of scriptures. The court yard is spacious and gorgeous. There is even a meditation garden on the side of the church that makes you forget that you're in downtown LA. Additionally, when you have a chance, inspect the giant bronze doors and admire the detail of it.

Unfortunately, parking is not free and can cost up to $7. However, anyone can walk in , you don't even have to be catholic (don't worry, I told my non-catholic friends that they won't burst into flames). To me, this place is a landmark that transcends Catholicism. There is something about this place that I can't place my finger on that puts me at peace.

Recommended for:Spiritual Seekers
  • Cathedral of Our Lady of the AngelsPro 2014

Cathedral has become my home church after moving to LA. I've been a regular Sunday mass attendee including the recent midnight Easter mass, which was just magical. I do Xmas Mass with my mom at my home home church, but I'm sure it was just as memorable. Never have I attended mass in quite a spectacular looking church as this, besides St. Peters in NYC.

There is still the familiar cross-shaped architecture as with other Catholic churches. This one has a slight stadium seating elevation that others have negatively interpreted as looking down at the altar. First hand though it's not really bad, so go see it for yourself.

The most appealing aspect of Cathedral is the wide open, huge courtyard at the entryway. I've never seen a church that paid as much attention or dedicated square footage for this. This is also in the heart of Downtown LA so that's double impressive. I cannot speak for the parking since I walk here from home. I can imagine that it's impacted and costly though in the underground lot.

• Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels

Beautiful building - seems recently renovated. This is a photo of the reception area- wherever looking the cathedral. Parties can rent out the area for various events.

• Cathedral of Our Lady of the AngelsPro 2014

This is the "Mother Church" for the Los Angeles Archdiocese, which consists of over 4 million Catholics and serves a diverse constituency. Sunday Mass is celebrated in 42 languages. With its austere, fortress like wall, I find the Cathedral's outside uninviting. I find the inside equally cold and unappealing, notwithstanding its 20,000 square foot interior plaza, soaring heights, tapestries and 12,000 panes of translucent alabaster. The plaza's cafe does provide fresh, reasonably priced meals that can be enjoyed at one of the outdoor tables.

• Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels

Up the street from Walt Disney Concert Hall.

The Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in Los Angeles was designed by world renowned architect José Rafael Moneo and completed in 2002. The church is uniquely designed, featuring almost no right angles, reflecting the diverse nature of the cathedral's local population in the 21st century. The tapestries in the cathedral are the largest collection in the United States, and were created by the artist John Nava. The bronze, human-scaled crucifix was designed by sculptor Simon Toparsky. To see these and other features of this cathedral, serving 302 parishes in the area, buy a guidebook in the Cathedral Store to start a self-guided tour, or take a daily guided tour Monday through Fridays at 1:00 p.m.

1,921 people visited Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels