Trip Plan Details
- Mariscos Guillen La Playita3306 Lincoln Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90405recommended Mariscos Guillen La PlayitaThis little roadside stand is a favorite among locals for their fresh, cheap seafood. My favorite is the ceviche - you get a huge portion with avocado and chips. Super cheap and tasty. There is a park ... read moreright around the corner where we would go to eat. Note - if you are thinking about any of the crab dishes, they use imitation crab, which is tasty too but know what you are getting.
- Venice Whaler 10 Washington Boulevard, Marina del Rey, CArecommended Venice WhalerIf it's a hot, sunny summer day in L.A. with signs there might be a good sunset, head over to the Whaler. This tasty beach bar and restaurant has potentially the best ocean view and beach patio deck ... read morein the Venice/Marina del Rey area. The menu is decent and the food is appetizing, but the real draw is the beach exposure. The main dining patio is perched on the 2nd floor, overlooking the beach and as close to the Venice Pier as a building possibly can be. The Whaler tends to draw a quiet lunch crowd on weekdays, but it can be a little more of a L.A. meat-market and rowdy beach bar crowd when showing big games or on those glorious, L.A. summer weekends. This is the perfect place to catch the sunset, but frankly after that, I've never stayed longer than just to have a quick beer. The interior ambiance is a little off and the place feels a bit weird at night. To complicate this, they often host late night group karaoke in the downstairs area. That might be fun for a once-in-awhile laugh, but walking in from the cool and peaceful Pacific along the beach at night, it's just wrong to suddenly hit a wall of cheesy music, spin lights and screaching voices. If you experience this, keep walking, there's better spots up the road...Arlo Hemphill
This is another good spot for fish tacos, but I only recommend it for lunch or an early sunset dinner. The upstairs deck has amazing views of the Pacific and the Venice Pier, but the inside space lacks the same charm. Be sure to sit out there while the sun is still up or setting - unbelievable setting!
- Baja Cantina311 Washington Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90292recommended Baja CantinaGreat chips & salsa, awesome margaritas and a vibe that makes you want to stay forever. Baja Cantina is a hidden oasis of warm feelings and great food!Arlo Hemphill
Chantelle - Baja Cantina is amazing! This is a personal favorite of mine - if I only had one night in LA, I'd eat here! Fish tacos are out of this world!
- La Grande Orange Cafe260 South Raymond Avenue, Pasadena, CA
- Tacos LA Bufadora10990 Lower Azusa Rd, #1, El Monte, CA 91731