Charlie Trotter's -- CLOSED

816 West Armitage Ave., Chicago, IL 60614

• Charlie Trotter's -- CLOSEDPro 2014

Charlie Trotter's absolutely lives up to its reputation. This place could easily be the global benchmark for good food and service. The food is wonderfully inventive without straying into the bazaar.

Wine is a must and you should let the sommelier do the picking. The ingredients, preparation, atmosphere and service here are all top notch. Not cheap but worth every penny.

Recommended for:Art & Design LoversFoodiesLocal CultureLuxury Travelers
  • Charlie Trotter's -- CLOSED

I had a great dinner at Charlie Trotter's, but alas, the restaurant has been closed, so it's not a lot of use writing a review :-).

• Charlie Trotter's -- CLOSEDPro 2014

The cabbie seemed to know where we were going when we asked to go to Charlie Trotter's and dropped us outside a small two story building with no apparent signs even indicating we were at a restaurant. A valet led us up a small flight of stairs and on the door, not visible from the sidewalk, was the name of the restaurant.

We were led inside to what looked like a bar, but completely unoccupied, then immediately through a dining area, also unoccupied, and up a narrow steep staircase to a diningroom. They ask that men wear jackets and most of the diners were quite well dressed, many men in suit and tie, and notably more men than women. The room was comfortable but not particularly memorable. Natural light and white table cloths gave it a light feel.

We were presented with the menu which had two pre-fixe choices, the vegetarian menu and the grand degustation menu. We opted for the degustation menu and wine pairings.

We found the courses and wines extremely interesting with unusual and unexpected combinations. Service was impeccable although I sometimes had trouble hearing the description and had to ask questions to clarify. Our server promised we would get a copy of the menu but somehow we did not.

We started with an oyster and wasabi, which was what sold me on this menu. It was lovely and tasted of the ocean with the surprise of a pickled radish as part of the taste. Wine was Jean Lallement "Grand Cru-Reserve" Brut NV. This was followed by freshwater eel with cilantro, roasted banana, soy and hazelnuts, with Grosset "Polish Hill" Riesling, Clare Valley 2007. The rest of the menu: Scottish Salmon Confit with Rose & Black Tea, with Condrieu "Les Cassines" Jaboulet 2005; Roasted Duck Breast with Kumquats, Wild Licorice, Szechuan Peppercorns & Duck Gizzards, with Davis Family Vineyard Pinot Noir, Russian River Valley 2006; Salt-Crusted Veal Loin with Oregon Morel Mushrooms, Fermented Black Garlic & Thyme, with Ribera del Duero "Tinto Pesquera-Crianza" Bodegas Alejandro Fernandez 2005; Red Shiso Sorbet with Mango & Grains of Paradise;Poached Quince with Sesame Ice Cream & Rosemary Shortbread, with Tokaji-Aszu "5 Puttonyos" Chateau Pazjos 1999; Oloroso Sherry-Raisin Ice Cream with Chocolate Cotton Cake, Dried Plums & Ennis Hazelnuts, with Bodegas Castano “Dulce” Monastrell, Yecla 2005.

I was comfortably full at the end of our meal and quite pleased by the experience. It was very expensive, over $700, at least the gratuity was included.

Recommended for:Vegetarian
  • Charlie Trotter's -- CLOSED

I went to Charlie Trotter's with my family maybe a month before I left Chicago. We had the vegetarian tasting menu. Charlie's mom gave us a tour of the kitchen. I'm really glad I got to experience this before Charlie closed things down.

Recommended for:Vegetarian
  • Charlie Trotter's -- CLOSED

Food was great, but not excellent across the board. Some dishes completely captured your taste buds (like Buffalo Joe's wings :), but a couple of them just didn't excite me as much. I haven't had an experience yet where every dish captured my attention yet. Obviously, still an incredible dining experience.

Great atmosphere for a special romantic occasion.

• Charlie Trotter's -- CLOSED

I can't say enough about Charlie Trotter. Smart, clean, pure, elegant and fresh. Those are his values and that is what I learned cooking with him at this restaurant when I was first getting started as a chef. Eating a meal at Charlie Trotter's is as aesthetic as it is spiritual, and there's a reason why people have traveled from all over the world to visit Chicago for this excellent restaurant.

• Charlie Trotter's -- CLOSEDPro 2014

Charlie Trotter has moved on and this restaurant is closed.

Fresh is the name of the game at Charlie Trotter's, a Chicago restaurant run by the revered chef of the same name. This contemporary American restaurant offers clean elegance and attention to the fundamentals of the culinary arts, making it one of the finest restaurants in the world.

109 people visited Charlie Trotter's -- CLOSED