Chicago's Essex Inn
Tribes: Who likes this place?
What the scores mean:
These scores tell you how well-liked a place is in each Tribe. Gogobot Tribes are groups who share a certain travel style, like Family Travelers or History Buffs.
Which Gogobot Tribe do you belong to?Join now
- 98%Budget Travelers
- 98%Business Travelers
- 75%Adventure Travelers
- 74%Family Travelers
- 51%Luxury Travelers
Member Reviews (5)
- Chicago's Essex InnMember ofArt & Design LoversOutdoor EnthusiastsBudget Travelers+ 5First to ReviewJul 05, 2012
Found this place on Hotels.com.
Right on Michigan avenue. Close to all the museums
Huge pool on the fourth floor and massive gym
Great room plasma tv. Restaurants nearby
Only paid $81 for a night.
Will definitely return. For the money, you can't beat it!!! Enjoy!!!
- Chicago's Essex InnMember ofArt & Design LoversLocal CultureBudget Travelers+ 2Jan 23, 2014
The Essex Inn is a gem! I've seen their bright red sign from Grant Park hundreds of times, but never thought to look inside. I'm so glad I did. On Michigan Avenue, it's easy to overlook this smaller hotel for some more recognizable names. But it's a better value and the interior is nearly as nice as its neighbors.
Like most downtown hotels, the rooms are small, but they are nicely decorated, clean, and bright. Many have excellent views of Grant Park and Lake Michigan as well. There is free wifi in every room, and the hotel provides a free shuttle to several area attractions including the Art Institute and Museum Campus. They don't do a free continental breakfast, but there's a lovely cafe attached to the lobby.
Be sure to look for the Essex Inn on Groupon! They often offer packages with other local businesses (the Field Museum is one) for great prices.
- Chicago's Essex InnMember ofLocal CultureBudget TravelersFoodies+ 2Feb 18, 2014
Tucked away from downtown in the South Loop ‘hood, the Essex Inn is a gem of a hotel that likely gets passed by often for hotels found closer to the Loop and River North. It’s not the newest hotel, and it isn’t the most luxurious, but it has plenty of style and bonus points. The lobby has contemporary art and a retro-sleek design, and totally reminds me of something off the set of Mad Men. The rooms aren’t gigantic, but they’re nice enough and offer enough space to wind down. However, you can get you r sweat on at a very large gym—one of the largest found at a downtown hotel. Afterwards, there’s a sauna where you can let your muscles relax and detox. Perhaps the biggest perk of the hotel is the indoor pool, which is one of the largest hotel-pools in the city. Most downtown hotels don’t even have a pool, let alone one of this size. There’s a spacious pool deck to stretch out on, and it’s probably twice as enjoyable when the snow is swirling outside.
- Chicago's Essex InnMember ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsBudget Travelers+ 7Dec 26, 2013
Beautiful hotel with an excellent view of Lake Michigan. It is located right along the water and from certain rooms can see the Lake, the city, and Soldier Field. The hotel is located within good walking distance from the heart of the city. Rooms were lovely and comfortable. The only flaw with the room was the tiny bathroom, and the hotel did not offer continental breakfast. However, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here.
Good!880 reviews across the web.
- Guests think this is a wonderful family hotel.
- Guests recommend this hotel for a romantic getaway.
- PriceExcellent value for money, said 97%.
- Service96% found the staff to be very friendly.
- Location96% liked the proximity to sightseeing.
- GroundsBeautiful grounds. Highly appreciated by 90% of guests.
- Hotel78% thought it was clean.
- Food72% found the breakfast to be wonderful.