Trip Plan Details
- Barley Swine2024 South Lamar BLVD, Austin, TX
- Uchi Restaurant801 South Lamar Boulevard, Austin, TXrecommended Uchi RestaurantThe best Japanese fusion restaurant you'll ever go to! Chef Tyson Cole really knows what he's doing! Once you try his food, you'll understand why his protege, Paul Qui, won his season of Top Chef. The ... read morefood here is so elegant with flavor combinations you would have never thought of. Some of my favorites there were their foie gras nigiri and strawberry foie gras dessert. The place can be a little pricey though, but luckily they have happy hour! And you don't have to sit at the bar to get the happy hour deals! This will be my first stop next time I come back to Austin!Recommended for:
- Franklin Barbecue900 East 11th Street, Austin, TXrecommended Franklin BarbecueOne of the iconic BBQ places mentioned in every TV food special on BBQ in the US! It's worth going at least once in your life, but you definitely have to plan to get there early and wait in line ... read morebefore they open. They close when they sell out and sometimes they can sell out as early as 2PM! Their ribs are good, but I think everyone comes here for the brisket. Definitely get the fatty brisket! And try all their sauces!
- South Congress Cafe1600 S Congress Ave, Austin, TX 78704recommended South Congress CafeThey're known for their eggs benedicts, but I loved my smoked brisket hash! I also really enjoyed their fried grits croutons, which were more like croquettes. Expect a long wait as this is one of the ... read moremost popular brunch spots on South Congress. You can head down to Perla's for some drinks while you wait as they call your phone when your table is ready.
- Lamberts Downtown Bbq401 West 2nd Street, Austin, TXrecommended Lamberts Downtown BbqNot having BBQ in Texas would be a sin. And while Lamberts is a more upscale spot for BBQ, it's definitely a must visit. Our large group of 15 had a pre-fixe menu put together in advance, so the food ... read morejust came rolling in. Our meal started off with fried green tomatoes topped with a light crab salad which was fantastic. We also had a big platter of finger lickin' good boar ribs that were served with a spicy buffalo sauce. Next came a platter of delicious brisket and dry-rubbed BBQ chicken, with sides of collard greens and some of the tastiest mac 'n' cheese I've ever had. Dessert is not to be missed either - the chili chocolate pot de creme and peach pie were absolutely heavenly. Austin, you guys know how to grub!
- Frank407 Colorado Street, Austin, TXrecommended FrankFrank serves up some doggone delicious gourmet dogs in a uber hipster space. Skip the plain dog and go for their artisan ones. I had the Notorious PIG - Housemade pork, bacon, jalapeno & sage sausage ... read morewith macaroni & cheese, Texas BBQ sauce - basically a heart attack waiting to happen. Their waffle fries are a must order - get them dressed up with chili cheese. Don't forget to check out their shop in the back where you'll find kitschy gift items like PBR flasks and cans of Marshmallow Fluff.
- Torchy's Tacos1311 South 1st Street, Austin, TXrecommended Torchy's TacosSome of the most inventive and delicious tacos I've ever had can be found in a food trailer park. I tried their special taco, The American with fried chicken, The Republican with italian sausage, ... read moreTrailer Park with fried chicken and the Green Chile Pork. The pork was definitely the winner even though it was the most typical of all the choices. There's a large covered seating area in the lot so you can enjoy your food without melting in the sun.
- Perla's1400 South Congress Avenue, Austin, TX 78704
- Swift's Attic308 Congress Ave, Austin, Texasrecommended Swift's AtticLocated upstairs from the famous Elephant Room jazz club, Swift's Attic is a gem of a sexy and moody speakeasy-style bar and restaurant that serves up mouth-watering small bites with a lot of Asian ... read moreinfluences. Loved their Foie gras & Niman pork belly bahn minis, oxtail flatbread, fried chicken meatballs and grilled baby octupus. The Reunited cocktail was amazing.
- Icenhauer's83 Rainey Street, Austin, TX, United Statesrecommended Icenhauer'sOld bungalow converted into a cool modern bar on Rainey Street. Get The Katy - their version of a Moscow Mule - and kick back in one of their cozy rooms inside or lounge out back. One of the more ... read moresleeker looking places on the row.
- Lustre Pearl97 Rainey Street, Austin, TX, United Statesrecommended Lustre PearlLustre Pearl is a gem of a bar on the hipster Rainey Street. Going for that shack chic look, each room inside has a ton of character with exposed wood and vintage fixtures. Get their speciality ... read morestrawberry infused moonshine, bring it outside (or chill in the AC rooms inside if it's sweltering out), grab a hula hoop or ping pong paddle for some extra fun. There's also a taco truck parked out back if you're hungry for some small bites.Connie Pistilli
You'll love all the bars on Rainey Street!
- Easy Tiger709 E 6th St, Austin, Texasrecommended Easy TigerUpstairs, you can pick up freshly baked giant pretzels, pastries and bread. Downstairs, enjoy one of their many beers on tap including local microbrews, take it out to their beer garden and challenge ... read moreyour friends to a game of ping pong.Recommended for:Trendsters
- Peché208 West 4th Street, Austin, Texasrecommended PechéWonderful speakeasy-esque bar - although you don't need reservations to get in - where the mixologists are whipping up cocktails and dressed post-Prohibition style. Loved my Willett Old Fashioned made ... read moreby Mark, who was really cool. All day happy hour on Sundays and Mondays.
- Kung Fu Saloon510 Rio Grande Street, Austin, TXrecommended Kung Fu SaloonFree play and happy hour all day on Sunday makes this spot one of the best Sunday Funday bars in downtown. You can grab beers for $2 or mimosas for $1 and have a blast playing life sized Connect Four, ... read moreJenga, skee ball and a bunch of other fun arcade games.
- South Congress AvenueSouth Congress Ave and E Riverside Dr, Austin, TX 78704recommended South Congress AvenueI thought this was by far my favorite area of Austin. It has great shops, tons of restaurants/food trucks and a retro flair to most of the storefronts.Katie Pierce
This is a great area to walk around. There's a good mix of stores, restaurants and food trucks. There are some really quirky spots like Uncommon Objects.
recommended Halcyon Coffee House Bar & Lounge AHalcyon is a fun spot! Go for coffee during the day and come back for s'mores and alcoholic milkshakes at night. I'm sure Halcyon is popular with the students here, but it does have a hip vibe that ... read morecan lend itself to an older crowd.Katie Pierce
I loved this spot. It's a good place for post-dinner treats.
- Bats Underneath Congress Bridge100 Congress Avenue, Austin, TX 78701-4020recommended Bats Underneath Congress BridgeAt sunset, people congregate on the Congress Bridge to watch as hundreds of thousands of bats fly out from their daytime roosting place under the bridge. It is a pretty awesome sight.
- Broken Spoke3201 South Lamar Boulevard, Austin, TX
- Barton Springs Pool2201 Barton Springs Road, Austin, TX 78746-5736recommended Barton Springs PoolThe best way to beat the heat in Austin. Barton springs is a massive, natural springs pool just outside the city. On a hot day, people come to congregate - swimming or just hanging out on the grass ... read morehill around the pool. The water is pretty cold - feels great on a hot day. Great for kids or adults. The best though is to go at night on a warm night!
- Chuy's Restaurant1728 Barton Springs Rd, Austin, TX 78704
- Magnolia Cafe1920 S. Congress Avenue, Austin, TX 78704
- Stubb's Bar-B-Q801 Red River St, Austin, TX 78701
- Hopdoddy Burger Bar1400 South Congress Avenue, Austin, TX 78704
- Salt Lick3600 Presidential Boulevard, Austin, TX, United States
- Whole Foods Market - Lamar525 North Lamar Boulevard, Austin, TX
- Alamo Drafthouse Austin: Downtown320 East 6th Street, Austin, TX, United States
- Texas State Capitol1100 Congress Ave., Austin, TX 78701
- Zilker Park2100 Barton Springs Road, Austin, TX 78746