Cirque du Soleil - Zarkana
Tribes: Who likes this place?
What the scores mean:
These scores tell you how well-liked a place is in each Tribe. Gogobot Tribes are groups who share a certain travel style, like Family Travelers or History Buffs.
Which Gogobot Tribe do you belong to? Join now
- 98%Nightlife Lovers
Member Reviews (3)Write a review
- Cirque du Soleil - ZarkanaMember ofBusiness TravelersFoodiesLuxury TravelersApr 01, 2014
At The Aria on the famous Las Vegas Strip, this is another installment from Cirque du Soileil. A fun and whimsical show filled with the death defying acrobatics that are par for the course for Cirque du Soileil. This in my mind is not a family show, the clowns are a little freaky. If you are a little freaked out by clowns (I admit I am). But over all the show is a lot of fun, the sand artist was stunning. Live it up, you are in Las Vegas for cryin’ out loud!
- Cirque du Soleil - ZarkanaFirst to ReviewJan 24, 2014
Thanks to the MYVEGAS program. The bf and I accumulated enough points to redeem for two tickets to Zarkana. I've seen numerous Cirque du Soleil shows in the past, but the huge spider woman ad outside the Aria building caught my eye and I've always had the yearning to see what it was about.
This past weekend, I finally got to see it for myself! Unfortunately after redeeming my tickets, I went on Yelp to read the reviews and was really disappointed in the poor ratings so my expectations were pretty low going into the show. We ended up watching a 9:30pm show on a Friday night and we even got complimentary upgrades to better seats. I was pleasantly surprised that we were seated right smack in the middle with a great view of the entire stage!
The entire show is 90 minutes long with 12 acts in total and no intermission:
1. Juggling: A performer juggles balls in the air on against varying surfaces to create sounds and also tap dances.
2. Ladder duo: A duo performs balancing maneuvers on ladders.
3. Rope duet: A duet performs aerial ropes.
4. Flag Maniputation: A group of performers juggle and toss around flags.
5. Russian bar: Two men propel an acrobatic flyer into the air with a long flexible bar
6. Highwire: Two men perform a daring high wire act
7. Cyr wheels and Cerceaux: Seven artists perform in cyr wheels while more perform tricks in aerial hoops.
8. Sand painting: An artist uses a light table to tell a story through drawn images in the sand
9. Grand Violant: Twelve acrobats perform trapeze
10. Wheel of death: Two men perform death defying feats in a giant spinning "Wheel of Death"
11. Handbalancing: An artist performs handbalancing skills on a slippery surface.
12. Banquine: Fifteen artists perform banquine which involves human pyramids and aerial crossovers.
Overall based on the stage production, theater, staging, costumes, and talent alone I would give Zarkana a 4 star rating. I found it to be one of the most visually stunning and beautiful acrobatic shows out of all the Cirque du Soleil shows I've seen. I admired the strength and agility of all the acrobats and performers. Although I couldn't understand the music, the band and vocalists were amazing. The only reason for the -1 star was the lack of a story line. It was at times difficult to follow since the entire show was in an alien language. Although, I was too much on the edge of my seat watching the death defying acts to focus too much on the story line itself. I'd definitely give Zarkana a chance if you haven't see it yet. Just go in with an open mind and get ready to get blown away by the amazing talent!