Cole's

Gary G
    4 May 24, 2014

Cole's is pretty cool. Here's the problem though: I don't really like French dip sandwiches. I know, I know, "Why are you going to a place that specializes in French dip?" Well, I'm always down for trying something new, and the thought occurred to me that maybe the reason I've never liked them is that I never had a really good one! After eating here I came to a few conclusions:

-1 I don't like roast beef. That being said, the sandwich here was as close to me liking one as I get, that's a complement to you Cole's

-2 Get the Old Fashioned, but try to get it on happy hour, I paid over $12 for a small cocktail! It was good, but not that good!

-3 The staff here is pretty fantastic. I have the feeling my waitress would've brought me something else if I had let on that I wasn't really feeling my sandwich.

Drop by if you're in DTLA, one of the best happy hours you'll find.

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal CultureNightlife Lovers
    Hanae
    2 Nov 06, 2013

Cole's is ok... I had low exceptions for this place because I heard it's meh.

The drinks aren't disappointing. It's the food that's not that impressive.

The table I sat at wasn't that great either. I was there for my friends going away party and the table they were at had only one way to come in and out. So if someone at the end wanted to go to the bathroom then everyone in that row had to move.

Recommended for:Local CultureNightlife LoversStudentsTrendsters
    Gábor Wyszoczky
    5 May 12, 2013

The French dip sandwiches are very delicious, you should try them. The service is also good, and you could easily make new friends here.

Troy Howard
    4 Apr 23, 2013

You have to come just for the Original French dip beef. It taste great and well worth the wait. Once your in, the service is great and you will enjoy the atmosphere.

Ericayvette
    3 Jan 25, 2013

Great place to grab a drink and something to eat on your bar crawling tour of DTLA. Drinks are strong and food is pretty decent. My recommendation is get a skinny Beef French Dip Sandwich with a side of spicy garlic fries or mac and cheese. Oh btw the Varnish is in the back of Coles... a perfect place to end the night.

JR Cajigas
    3 Sep 24, 2012

The best part about this place is that it's next to The Association Bar. There are often transients that stride back and forth on the side walk, but security does a fair job of keeping them off the customers. There's a full bar and plenty of indoor seating, but I'm typically a fan of eating on the patio regardless, even if it is a sidewalk. I stopped by here to throw back a few beers to start a night of bar hopping.

-=- Pastrami French Dip -=- It was smaller than I thought, but then again I need to get The Hat out of my mind, because the amount you get there is just outrageous. Exhale. Ok. Switching gears. Visiting Cole's, I had actually hoped for more flavorful pastrami. Dipping it in the au jus gave it the flavor I was looking for but to the soft baked bread. I was just unimpressed at this item as a whole.

-=- Garlic Fries -=- I'm a fan of garlic fries wherever I go. The more garlicky the better and this place packed it on. It was more clovey garlic than buttery garlic, but I was ok with that. I can't have drenchy butter with everything I eat, so this was a good departure into the lighter side of garlic fries.

The next time I am around, I will be trying the bacon mac & cheese. It will probably be soon, because The Association is calling my name again.

Isabel Vergara
    3 Aug 19, 2012

I came here with a friend to grab a late light dinner. The place was not packed but the service was really slow. For the classic French Dips, you have a choice of small or big size which was great because we were not that hungry. We ordered the pastrami and beef prime. The beef was good with swiss cheese but I preferred the plain pastrami that had the perfect amount of saltiness. The sandwiches are served with fries, a cup of au jus and a spicy pickle which I loved!

Susan Lee
    3 Aug 17, 2012

The service here is a little slow and it's hard to flag someone down too. However, the French dip sandwiches they are known for tasty. The prime beef sandwhich is good with swiss, but the pastrami is even better and doesn't need any cheese. The pastrami is not super salty like most are, but has a good flavor to it. There's also a club in the back of the restaurant which looked fairly popular on a Thursday night.

Siao Jer
    4 Aug 17, 2012

There's no debate that Philipe's is the best in town and possibly this side of the Mississippi.

However, there are things about this place that makes it stand out:

-The sandwiches are no knockoffs either.. especially the lamb smothered with goat cheese.
    -The sides (especially the bacon potatoe salad) are really good too.
    -Way better ambiance (you can actually take a date here)
    -Plus they got the Varnish hidden in the back corner-- definitely gotta check out the bar!

I would definitely come back here cuz it's definitely a place to come get a good bite, hang out, and get a few drinks (in and around there).

Sue Zhou
    4 Jul 14, 2012

The original French dip joint in downtown la. Full of the old spirits of the past. Gangsters, movie stars, ghosts, all roam Cole's. Grab the spicy pickles, garlic fries and a succulent sandwich. If you're Jonesing for something a bit harder - heads toward the back- and check out the secret little bar.

Dj S