Commonwealth

2224 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94110

Owie
    5 Mar 07, 2014

If you feel like taking your palate for an adventurous spin, Commonwealth is the place to be.

An early reservation was part of the plan as there was other fun festive being planned for that evening. We arrived early and parked on the street, but sadly found out they had their own parking area. Bummer!

The tasting menu looked intricate, however, we opted to go for a la carte with the exception of having one of the tasting menu as our entree. We ordered:

- Sea urchin, cauliflower, seaweed brioche, tapioca, ginger, kimchee, coastal succulents was divine. This by far was my favorite dish of the night!

- Beef tartare, salted blackberries, elderflower capers, chervil, kefir, pumpernickel tuile was ridiculously tasty.

- Charred squid, pork belly, soft boiled egg, hay smoked potatoes, pickled onions, fine herbs. The tentacle of the squid was a little too chewy for my taste.

- Sardines, honey melon, pickled cucumbers and zucchini. Sightly salty sardines, yet it was subtle due to the honey melon and the sweet sauce. Outstanding presentation.

- Tea smoked duck with figs, herbs, and shallots from the tasting menu was disappointing. Very tough to chew on and the taste was bland.

- Cods, liver mousse, turnips, parsley, and dashi broth was an interesting texture and very well put together. A balance of hearty food.

We were too full to get dessert, but I'll be sure to give it a try the next time I visit.

I am thrilled to find this gem located in the Mission. Small, tidy, and unique. Service was attentive but lacking a smile on their face. All in all, give this place a try and enjoy!

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersBusiness TravelersFoodiesLuxury Travelers
    Ally Wu
    5 Jan 22, 2014

I had an absolutely amazing experience at Commonwealth. The food, the ambience and the services are top notch. The food also brings food lovers together and it adds to the specialness of the experience as we actually had great conversations with fellow diners around us.

My friend and I had a hard time deciding whether to go with the tasting menu or ordering a la carte. Finally, the table next to us convinced us to get the tasting menu and that was a great decision. For the first course, we had caviar with greens. It was like a beautiful art piece and I almost didn't want to eat it. The taste was as great as the look - very delicate and subtle. The second course was fioe gras coated in honey oatmeal. The serving size was pretty generous and the taste was out of this world. The came the carrots and radish spring salad, which was another looking. The main dish was rabbit. Next was a sorbet. The grand finale was a peanut butter chocolate bar with popcorn cream. I am not a big fan of peanut butter, but I adore this dish. All 6 courses for only $65! When I was eating, the words I heard most were "Wow" "Yum" "On My God".

This is the restaurant that I can't wait to go back to.

Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury TravelersTrendsters
    Sharon K. Yapp
    4 Aug 07, 2013

I went here with the hubby and brother-in-law on a Saturday night around 10pm, and the food and wine were excellent! What we had:

- Chocolate covered foie gras pops. Yum. It's different, and I would try it once. Ultimately, I'd rather have my foie gras without the chocolate flavor though because the chocolate flavor is pretty strong.
    - Octopus salad. My hubby's favorite dish.
    - Scallops. Very delicious, tender, and well-grilled.
    - Tempura with uni. Good, interesting.
    - Thyme ice cream with lemon sponge cake. VERY good.

The ambience is very cool...and chic place to bring our friends without breaking the bank or feeling too stuffy. Staff here is very nice and knowledgeable. Can't wait to return!

Recommended for:FoodiesTrendsters
    Connie Pistilli
    5 Aug 07, 2013

Love the concept, the food, the space, the prices - yes, I think Commonwealth may be my new favorite restaurant in the Mission.

Although the $60 tasting menu looked divine, we opted to go a la carte because there were a few dishes we wanted to try off the tasting menu. Unfortunately, the foie gras was not an option on the a la carte menu.

We enjoyed everything we had. The complimentary housemade chips with nori and malt vinegar mousse were highly addictive. I could definitely snack on a bag full of these chips every day. My girlfriend and I decided to share five dishes and two desserts, based on our friendly server's recommendations. Portions are small, so it's suggested that each person orders 2-3 dishes.

** Garden Tomatoes and Basil, Black Olive Crumble, Smoked Bread and Idiazabal Cheese - SO fresh. The delicate spherical cheese and the crunchy olives were perfect compliments to the heirloom tomatoes.

** Potato Gnocchi, Corn, Maitake Mushrooms, Sage, Parmesan Reggiano and Truffle Oil - Perfectly cooked gnocchi. Anything with truffle oil is automatically amazing.

* Corn Custard, Sea Urchin, Chorizo, Lobster Emulsion and Jalapeno - Unique texture of the corn custard, very much like silky tofu.

* Butter Poached Black Cod, Cauliflower, Dashi and Sea Beans - Soft and flaky black cod with a delicious crispy skin.

* Young Hen and Spot Prawn, Spinach, Artichoke and Chocolate-Almond Emulsion - Very tender hen and tasty prawn with a yummy sauce.

** White Russian: Coffee Ice Cream, Vodka Gelée, Raw Milk Mousse, and Génoise Cake - Fantastic, and a must if you're a fan of coffee.

** Cinnamon Mille-Feuille, Cardamom Marshmallow, Chocolate Ganache, and Burnt Honey Ice Cream - This was AMAZING! Like a decadent deconstructed s'more.

Our meal with glasses of wine came out to $65/person including tip, which was really reasonable.

Additional pluses: They have their very own free parking lot, which is especially nice if you're a female because it can get a little sketchy at night. And as they are affiliated with Mission Street Food, they donate part of the price of each tasting menu to charitable causes, which will change on a weekly basis. Gotta love good food for a good cause.

** Must order!

Roy Chi
    4 Jan 04, 2013

This review has been sitting in my unfinished reviews list for a while now, and I realize that it's probably because there's really nothing that stands out at Commonwealth that motivates me to write about it -- so I'm just going to submit my original notes on my impressions immediately after my experience many months ago.

-----------------------------

Pork Jowl = excellent
    Carrot Sorbet = great
    Chicory Mousse = good
    Textbook Cabernet = excellent

Grand Total = $264.74 (with 8 glasses of wine & tax, but not including tip)

-----------------------------

Commonwealth is definitely a good restaurant, with incredible service and wildly inventive dishes. The problem is that I wasn't excited about any of the dishes -- there's something about the food that doesn't translate the chef's passion for each ingredient. It's hard to put my finger on it -- you just have to experience it for yourself.

Mel S Wong
    4 Aug 08, 2012

Innovative combination, fresh ingredients, genuine service, comfortable dining atmosphere, and own parking lot (in the SF mission district but alas no longer free but a great feature nevertheless)! How can anyone not like this place?! Oh right, the traditionalists! But am sure even they can be swayed.

Paul Petrick

The outside of this place is so nondescript that I didn't realize it was a restaurant the first few times i walked by it. Inside, the decor is simple, but cozy. The food here is some of the most creative, beautifully presented and tasty I've had in the city.

Verlisia

How often do you find food that looks amazing, tastes wonderful and does not come with a sumptuous price tag? I was in a foodie photographers' heaven when our server brought out plates after plates of artistically garnished and perfectly color coordinated dishes - some resemble dreamy watercolors, others reminds me of vibrant spring gardens.

It was a really tough choice between the tasting menu and the a la carte menu. Foie gras only came with the tasting menu while uni was only available a la carte. The tasting menu showcases their best items but I figured I could sample more varieties ordering al la carte. That turned out to be a good decision.

Food was nice. While I couldn't say they excel at every single thing I have tried, most dishes exceeded my expectation. I was particularly impressed with the oyster. Flavors were bold and texture was unusual. The cooked (poached) oysters were almost as succulent the raw ones. Fried tripes were lovely and so was the uni and bacalao croquetas.

Their menu changes often so you might not find the same items others have tried and loved. Don't worry though. I don't think you can go wrong with a dinner here. Service was great. Ambiance is chic but casual. Keep in mind it might not be the best place for an intimate romantic dinner because the tables are quite cramped together.

They even their own parking lot. How rare is that?

Jill Dudensing

Great current example of the modern dining movement in the States. Had one of the best meals in recent years here. We ordered the chef's tasting menu and everything was incredible. This place can match up against any place in SF. Great service too! Make a reservation and be prepared for an incredible dining experience.

Broke-Ass Stuart

With glowing reviews, owners who are local restaurant-industry heroes, and a creative (and goddamn delectable) menu, it’s easy to see why Commonwealth is one of the most popular new restaurants in San Francisco. And in a city that’s as food-obsessed as San Francisco, being this popular is saying a lot. If you’re looking for a meal to brag about to your friends, make sure to try the chef’s tasting menu. It’s $65, fucking scrumptious, and $10 of it is donated to charity. You get to feel good on so many levels!

Jordan Wittrock

Forget the tasting menu, Come in with a friend and order everything on the menu. You get to experience so much more and enjoy amazingly dishes from Chef Jason Fox A+

billifornia

One of the more memorable meals I've had in a while. Walked in at 10 on a Friday. Seated within 15 minutes at a counter seat overlooking the kitchen. To me, it's always more fun to watch the chefs in action anyway. Friend had this amazing frozen drink made with liquid nitrogen- The Naughty Eskimo. To start, a slow cooked farm egg, sprouting broccoli, kombu roasted carrots, quinoa, and black garlic. um, wow! then the seared duck breast, young turnips and onions, blood orange drizzle and cauliflower mousse. the flavors were perfectly balanced and by the end i really wanted to lick the plate. and kiss the chef. perfect place to impress a date and still have money left over for flowers.

Veronica Sartori

I love Commonwealth. For the price, this place is truly a gem. They offer some of the most unique combination of flavors I've tasted yet in San Francisco. Mostly deriving new American cuisine, Commonwealth will have many European influences in their dishes. I've only done a la carte, but I hear their $60/tasting menu is solid, too.

Rhonda R
    4 Jun 25, 2013
    Corner Suite San Francisco
    5 May 24, 2013

453 people visited Commonwealth

Order the tasting menu at this modern American restaurant in San Francisco and $10 will be donated to a local non-profit. This "conscientious indulgence" and the amazing food has been recognized with a 2011 James Beard nomination for Best New Restaurant.

The Hotel Tropicana